E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
mrbill

My Ride: M6, 525i
Xenon Bulb Replacement

Hello- I have an 04 330i (sedan). I can see the headlight projectors so I believe this automagically means I have Xenons (low beams). I can hardly see at night. There's definitely light... its just dim. From what I've read here, this usually means bulbs are going. So as a first step, I ordered Philips D2S Xenon HID Headlight Bulbs part number: 85122C1 - The 'C1' threw me so I called Philips and they said its the same as the 85122+, just updated part number.

2 questions:
- Did I order the right bulb (I'm pretty sure I did)
- Could anything else be causing this? I had to pickup a part at the dealer and they suggested the ballasts as well, but I sort of find that hard to believe.

Thougths? Thanks!
mrbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Yes, those are the correct bulbs.

Install the bulbs (DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS) and make sure to level the lights properly using the black wheels on top of the headlight. Then report back. Pics always help.

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
mrbill

Hey- Thanks for the info. I' ll post before and after shots. Never re- leveled so ill look for the article on that.

thx!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

Just park on a flat surface with a nice clean wall ahead of you and adjust them. Check out my vid to see what it should look like afterwards

Look at the first few seconds of this one

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Old 01-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #5
mrbill

i forgot to mention i have self leveling. totally spaced.

thx!
Old 01-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
mrbill

Is it me or are the low beam bulb boots\covers hard as heck to get on and off? I just did the driver side and wound up having to loosen and pop out the headlight unit. Is the best way to do this involve removing the entire headlight unit? I have a 2004 330i with self leveling lights.

thx
Old 01-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
mrbill

Hello Again- Ok, I have an image to share. Changed the drivers side last night- Wow! I'm accustomed to older BMWs... lots of plastic and things are tough to access in this car. But have to admit, the engineering is superb!

Anyway, after wrangling the boots for about 45 min, I have the drivers side working. Wanted to share what it looks like and get your opinion on the light spread. Enclosed is a picture. Its MUCH brighter than the passenger side. But are the 'hot spots' normal? Let me know what you think.

Thanks for all the help. I'm an older BMW guy and working to get up to speed on the complexity of these new machines .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drive Side Changed.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	485310  
Old 01-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

mmmm, those hot spots don't seem correct. I'll take a pic of my output tonight after work

Old 01-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
mrbill

Ya, didn't seem normal to me either. Thanks for taking a look.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
Rudy540

My Ride: E46
My dads 325i lights also are extremely weak for some reason, I tried a new hid bulb but not much difference, did u change ballast?
Rudy540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
mrbill

I only changed 1 bulb and already notice a huge difference. Haven't touched the ballasts.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #12
mrbill

Quick update

Removing the entire headlight assembly is clearly the way to go when changing the bulbs on a 2004 self leveling hid system. Far easier. Now that i've seen how the bulb is supposed to align within the sockets, i now know the driver side bulb is incorrectly installed. The passenger light pattern is spot on and bright. Ill fix the drivers tomorrow and upload picts.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #13
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

yea, I figured the bulb was not seated properly. Post some pics when both are installed.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #14
mrbill

Hello- Ok, finally have before and after photos. Big difference. BTW- As I mentioned before, its far far easier to change the bulbs via removing the headlight units. Only takes about 5min per side this way.

All I did was replace the factory bulbs with new factory bulbs. Nothing upgraded. Much better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	486342   Click image for larger version

Name:	After.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	486343  
Old 09-14-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
Leanwidit

My Ride: E46
Having the same fkn problem!
Thanks guys, i now have a solution!

Btw, does anybody knoe which bulb i should get for my 325i 2004 xenon? Any help will be appreciated.. ^___^

Last edited by Leanwidit; 09-14-2013 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Add
Leanwidit is offline   Reply With Quote