E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #181
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpconst View Post
I got a 600r when I was 21 and had it for 1000 miles. I shouldn't be writing this now because I should be dead! I told myself I was mature and wouldn't do stupid stuff but after being chased by the state patrol down the interstate at 168 mph with other riders and ending up in jail for the weekend and then losing my liscense for two years I knew it had to go. The next weekend a buddy of mine lost control and died at the base of a telephone pole. Yea bikes are cool and fun but not worth dying. I have a 15 and 17 year old now and one day I plan on telling them of my stupidity and how lucky both they I am for being here today.

P.S. this was very hard for me to write!
Uh 168 on open roads? Sorry dude but you were askin for trouble. Not everyone rides like that. Including me.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:24 PM   #182
mattcarle21

My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
Read through most of this, and I'm still confused as to how Smart cars are chick magnets. I suppose in Berkley, maybe. Just keep your son off one until school starts. Hopefully, once he's in school and has tons of new things going on around him he'll forget about all of it. I started riding dirt bikes at age 9, then rode a ninja 250 from 14-16. Luckily, never had an accident, but we lived in a rural area then, and I was forbidden to go anywhere near the closet city. I did some pretty stupid things on it, and I know if I hadn't had dirt bike experience I'd probably be dead. I got rid of it due to a blown engine, and was into cars by then anyway. I never got back on until 2 years ago at the age of 27 with a Nighthawk 750. I loved it, but after a few months I wanted more. My wife wasn't too thrilled at me looking at all out sport bikes, so I eventually just sold the 750 and got a 944 for track days. After essentially throwing money into a fire pit with the 944, I ended up selling it too. Now I just have one money pit (a land rover) to play with, and a happy wife. All in all, I understand the want your son has, but with zero riding experience on anything motorized with two wheels, I'd say no way! If or when I have a son(s) I will probably start them on atvs, and if they can be responsible there, maybe move up to a dirt bike. After that, I dunno. Ultimately, it's their decision once they are writing the check. Good luck to you, and please explain the Smart car thing.

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow

Last edited by mattcarle21; 03-06-2013 at 09:33 PM.
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:00 PM   #183
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
Bikes are addicting, first taste of a sport bike I had was my friends cbr900rr with a stage 3 jet kit and modified gearing.

First time I road it I was scared sh!tless and went the speed limit everywhere. Fast forward a few months and every time I got on that thing Id try to have self control, but sure enough I'd be wide open flying through the gears on an open straight...the speed/power/adrenaline rush/force/sound etc. when you twist that throttle is one of the most addicting things ever. And no matter what you say you are going to do something stupid when you have a greater power/weight than an f1 car at your disposal.

Personally I want a bike so bad it's constantly on my mind, but I enjoy life too much to end up in a wheelchair as a quad or dying at a young age. So therefore I said fvck the bike, there's other ways to have fun.

Who the fvck wants to be sitting there in a wheelchair paralyzed, where you can sh!t your pants and not even know it, and you can't do anything other than sit there. So your fvcked big time, and trapped in a state of nothingness waiting out the days until you die. Fvck that. Let your son know about it.

You can be the best rider ever, but you cannot control others around you. Falling isn't so bad. Suddenly becoming stationary is what gets you.

///M

Last edited by Redline; 03-06-2013 at 11:11 PM. Reason: .
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #184
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
Bikes are addicting, first taste of a sport bike I had was my friends cbr900rr with a stage 3 jet kit and modified gearing.

First time I road it I was scared sh!tless and went the speed limit everywhere. Fast forward a few months and every time I got on that thing Id try to have self control, but sure enough I'd be wide open flying through the gears on an open straight...the speed/power/adrenaline rush/force/sound etc. when you twist that throttle is one of the most addicting things ever. And no matter what you say you are going to do something stupid when you have a greater power/weight than an f1 car at your disposal.

Personally I want a bike so bad it's constantly on my mind, but I enjoy life too much to end up in a wheelchair as a quad or dying at a young age. So therefore I said fvck the bike, there's other ways to have fun.

Who the fvck wants to be sitting there in a wheelchair paralyzed, where you can sh!t your pants and not even know it, and you can't do anything other than sit there. Can't kill yourself because you can't move your arms. So your fvcked big time, and trapped in a state of nothingness waiting out the days until you die. Fvck that. Let your son know about it.

You can be the best rider ever, but you cannot control others around you. Falling isn't so bad. Suddenly becoming stationary is what gets you.
yup. went for a ride last weekend and got a chance to ride a gsxr1000. I'm used to my bike with 50hp that struggles to break 80, but that thing is just a rocket. I can't not go WFO every chance possible. I mean they can do 90 in 1st gear.

Got off super pissed because its impossible to ride them legally.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #185
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert
It really is impossible to go the speed limit, you go over the speed limit and not even realize it and you're only in 1st or 2nd gear. Barely turning the throttle on a liter bike is an instant 30mph more...it's hard to drive slow. And when you do, it doesn't last long before you're like fvck that and wind it out.

///M

Last edited by Redline; 03-06-2013 at 11:19 PM. Reason: .
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #186
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline View Post
It really is impossible to go the speed limit, you go over the speed limit and not even realize it and you're only in 1st or 2nd gear. Barely turning the throttle on a liter bike is an instant 30mph more...it's hard to drive slow. And when you do, it doesn't last long before you're like fvck that and wind it out.
On a liter bike yes. It is nearly impossible to go the speed limit because it feels like the faster you go the more nimble the bike becomes. On my 599 I have no problems keeping it near the speed limit though.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #187
vinnybones

My Ride: E46 330i & E46 M3
I got my first bike my SR year of high school (2008) it was a 2006 Ninja 636, Blue with gold accent and wheels. I bought the bike in February for 5500 $ and Sold it in July for 5900$.... Unfortunately I paid around 8000$ in lawyer fees and fines that year and a 300$ NJ surcharge for the next 4 years. Two reckless driving tickets in 24h period, along with a Eluding police and 167mph in a 65. I wasn't mature enough to have one and I learned the hard way.....he will probably say im going to drive safe, I said the same thing and it lasted a good month. After that its burnouts and wheelies down the highway, its all fun but stupid if you cant control yourself. Let your son read that...Or let him learn the hard way like me, I wish i listened to my mom.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:27 AM   #188
ThumperNC24

My Ride: 'Mericuh V8 Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
I haven't been livid with him...though maybe he'd think so...

The safety course is a great idea. His moron uncle (my b-i-l), said he'd help my son buy a bike this summer, learn to ride, so he could buy a bike of his own in California...this moron once drove his new jeep into a puddle...that turned out to be a 6' deep pool of water!

I know bikes are awesome, but they're inherently more dangerous than traveling by car...nothing against the rider as much as against many road surfaces, but mostly other drivers. You who ride know how dangerous it is because of moron car drivers, right? I'm sure that's your greatest threat on the road.

My son has only been driving 2 years. His situational awareness isn't developed like yours is. I need to do what I can to try to convince him to find alternatives...and if you can help me, that'd be great.

I know they're fun and awesome...but here...I'm a dad who loves his kid and wants to keep him safe. And, before you go on about how risk averse I am, I'll just say that a large part of that might be because my brother was killed by a train when he was 8 years old. I was 10. I lived with what my parents went through then, which was more than what I went through (I was only 10)--anyway, I need to give it the old college try to convince him.

I'm hoping he'll just drive his car out there. How bad would it be to have a car at/in Berkeley? Oh, also, how gheybe is a scooter around there? lol For some reason, maybe stupid ones, I think a scooter might be safer.
bikes offer a lot cheaper fun than a car....are you willing to help him out with the difference?

My parents took a more extreme approach - as long as they were helping me with college I wasn't allowed to get a bike. They did compromise a little bit and didn't say anything when I picked up a 450hp+ trans am though.

03 Z06 466rwhp.
07 335xi 6M
ThumperNC24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:34 AM   #189
BruceWonder

My Ride: 2011.5 E92 M3
motorcycle in norCal...bad idea
Old 03-07-2013, 02:05 AM   #190
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
There's a YouTube video somewhere where a father, son and a group of friends decided to go on a cruise, and on the way the son got pedal happy, he died. The stupid camera man had the bright idea of tapping his lifeless body while the father cried in agony. Even dumber, they were riding at night. I don't wish to ever watch that again, it's pretty cold to see a lifeless body. That might help your son.
always-there is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:14 AM   #191
always-there

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330I
Check out this video on YouTube:

Even professional's die.
always-there is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:14 AM   #192
fayraree

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
I've wanted a bike since I was a kid and my father told me "over my dead body" and then he passed away in a car accident (totally unrelated to bikes). Out of respect for him, I never got one, although now I'm in my 30s and I feel like I'm responsible enough to get one if I want...but I'm still hesitating because of the guilt of getting one "over his dead body"...

It's really my dad's pressure against owning one that has lasted this long in my mind (back from my teen years) and he bought me a 2000 Civic SiR (Canadian equiv of the Si with a 1.6L DOHC mod-magnet) which I wrote off in 2001 in a road race. I was still an idiot, but at least I didn't die as I might have racing a sport bike at that age.

I find it really disconcerting that your wife isn't on the same page as you, and while yes, a dialogue with your son is the most important, something like the safety and protection of your son should be unanimous between you and your wife. That's a problem and you should definitely continue to convince her simultaneously...and get her to tell her brother to ****. That is really counterproductive and I think you have a right to enforce parental will with your wife and other adults supporting you. The BIL sounds like an idiot.

What about economic sanctions? Are you financially supporting your son? All student loans? Are you co-signing? If he doesn't listen, as a last resort pull the plug on financial support because you're not investing in your son only to see him get badly hurt or killed by making a decision against your will. You will need to monitor him closely and make sure he doesn't get that "M" license (maybe you can make regular inspections on his driver's license info online; I know if you have certain details you can pull the registered vehicles and license type info in Virginia to monitor your son's status, to make sure he doesn't have a registered bike or the equivalent of an "M" license).

I started a thread in the Mid-Atlantic region asking for info about buying a bike safely and what the best route to take is...details here:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=972786

I might pursue the course but will hold off on buying one until I've worked up the confidence to defy my father's will lol...

oh, on the other hand you could offer him a used e46 M3 as a grad present lol especially a convertible...I've convinced myself that that is the closest experience on 4 wheels to a motorcycle, because of the sensation of being closer to nature...and it feels and sounds great in an M3 with the exhaust sound and exhileration of acceration, etc. quite the rush. -- S2000 maybe?

Last edited by fayraree; 03-07-2013 at 02:19 AM.
fayraree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:46 AM   #193
wild willy

My Ride: Cars
dmax

I put my parents through this....I only hope my boys do not put me through it. I sold my GSX1100F when My first boy was 2. I never want to see him on the road on a bike. Do everything you can to keep him off the road..especially if he has never ridden.
wild willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:54 AM   #194
rover220

My Ride: Golf MK VI GT
IŽll never own one, I donŽt think.

I love acceleration too much and know I canŽt control myself on a bike. That and all the idiots driving around make it far too dangerous here.

My brother almost lost his hand in an accident many years ago, has a nice scar from his wrist up to his elbow and has never regained feeling in his hand. IŽll stick to cars.
rover220 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #195
DME46

My Ride: has free candy.
I wanted a bike pretty bad up until recently. Got my motorcycle license and everything... snapped out of it once I got my jeep. All I want to do is hit some dirt trails and mod my jeep now. If I go back to wanting a bike it won't be for a while.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #196
09f800st

My Ride: 2004 325I 2009 F800
I've owned a bike since 1976....yep, I'm old as dirt almost.
Sport bike, touring bike, cruiser...everything but scooters.
I've spent time in the trauma ward twice, once in my 30's and once in my late 40's.
My accidents were caused by women drivers who BOTH said the same thing;
"I never saw him"
I still commute on a daily basis.
My suggestion to you sir, is to get involved with your Son's choice of streetbike. You can help him make an intelligent (?) decision as to what style of bike he chooses.
What you DON'T want him to choose as a first bike is a detuned inline 4 sportbike...and nothing new...odds are he'll drop it or dump it in the first 3 months of owning it. A safety course is an excellent start.
Once he buys a bike, and the honeymoon wears off...he may just park it and let it draw dust and rust...lot's of people do.
It could be worse...he could be interested in tattoos on his neck and facial piercings
This disapointment belongs to a set of parents;

See??? It could be worse
09f800st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #197
wild willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09f800st View Post
It could be worse...he could be interested in tattoos on his neck and facial piercings
This disapointment belongs to a set of parents;

See??? It could be worse

I don't know...I'd rather have my Alive Freak son over my cool dead one
Old 03-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #198
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild willy View Post
I don't know...I'd rather have my Alive Freak son over my cool dead one
unless he gets multiple infections and diseases from piercings and tattoos. jus saying.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #199
teleopti

My Ride: BMW 330i
all of these responses suck. Living in Florida, a motorcycle is extremely dangerous to ride. While the "rider" may be more connected with the road and more alert and all that nonsense people are saying, the driver in the car next to you is too busy looking at his/her phone tweeting and taking picture of themselves that they are oblivious to the people around them. I'd rather have them hit my car than my body. Don't push the matter. Let him get on one and see how exposed/vulnerable he feels out on the CA highways.

Last edited by teleopti; 03-07-2013 at 08:50 AM.
teleopti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #200
wild willy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleopti View Post
all of these responses suck. Living in Florida, a motorcycle is extremely dangerous. While the "rider" may be more connected with the road and more alert and all that nonsense people are saying, the driver in the car next to you is too busy looking at his/her phone tweeting and taking picture of themselves that they are oblivious to the people around them. Don't push the matter. Let him get on one and see how exposed/vulnerable he feels out on the CA highways.
If you were ever in your 20s......You never see how exposed and vunerable you are...You are immortal, nothing can harm you, and nothing bad is going to happen to you...It's the other guy that does not know what he is doing that gets hurt. I remember OH TOO WELL. I am luck to be alive considering all the **** I did.........On a Bike