E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #201
09f800st

My Ride: 2004 325I 2009 F800
Quote:
Originally Posted by teleopti View Post
all of these responses suck. Living in Florida, a motorcycle is extremely dangerous. While the "rider" may be more connected with the road and more alert and all that nonsense people are saying, the driver in the car next to you is too busy looking at his/her phone tweeting and taking picture of themselves that they are oblivious to the people around them. Don't push the matter. Let him get on one and see how exposed/vulnerable he feels out on the CA highways.
What you imply here is that the motorcycle rider is vulnerable
The driver of the car "tweeting and taking pictures" would be the dangerous one. Remove the motorcycle from the equation, and you're still at risk of being injured or killed by the motorist in the car, regardless of what you are driving. Motorcycles don't make the road dangerous...
09f800st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #202
teleopti

My Ride: BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09f800st View Post
What you imply here is that the motorcycle rider is vulnerable
The driver of the car "tweeting and taking pictures" would be the dangerous one. Remove the motorcycle from the equation, and you're still at risk of being injured or killed by the motorist in the car, regardless of what you are driving. Motorcycles don't make the road dangerous...
should have made myself more clear....."a motorcycle is dangerous TO RIDE."
Old 03-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #203
teleopti

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild willy View Post
If you were ever in your 20s......You never see how exposed and vunerable you are...You are immortal, nothing can harm you, and nothing bad is going to happen to you...It's the other guy that does not know what he is doing that gets hurt. I remember OH TOO WELL. I am luck to be alive considering all the **** I did.........On a Bike
I am 24 and agree with this 100%. Everyone thinks the same way before they buy a bike. "I'll be safe. Nothing will ever happen." And when you are done riding, everyone who comes out alive says the same thing then too "I'm lucky"

Kudos
Old 03-07-2013, 09:11 AM   #204
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
From personal experience, if your son made up his mind to get a bike, the Best thing you can do now, is get one yourself and teach him to ride responsibly.

If the funds allow for this of couse...

He will get it either way, no matter what you tell him. At least if you know how he rides, you will feel somewaht at ease. Get your license together and attend a course together. Its a great bonding experience and you will have something in common that can become a long term commitment.

My father did this and im very thankful.

Good luck with your decision.

Ps. He will crash it 100% ;-)

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #205
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelgawel View Post
From personal experience, if your son made up his mind to get a bike, the Best thing you can do now, is get one yourself and teach him to ride responsibly.

If the funds allow for this of couse...

He will get it either way, no matter what you tell him. At least if you know how he rides, you will feel somewaht at ease. Get your license together and attend a course together. Its a great bonding experience and you will have something in common that can become a long term commitment.

My father did this and im very thankful.

Good luck with your decision.

Ps. He will crash it 100% ;-)

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
I'm too aged for something so exciting. What, you want me to crash and die...not post here anymore? You have any idea of what would happen to Fanatics without my insight and trolls?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #206
teleopti

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
I'm too aged for something so exciting. What, you want me to crash and die...not post here anymore? You have any idea of what would happen to Fanatics without my insight and trolls?
here:

Old 03-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #207
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
F! You don't have to convince me!

If he's not a fanatic, can he see this thread if I send him a link directly to it? He saw it before he went back to school, but I want to keep him current.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #208
teleopti

Quote:
F! You don't have to convince me!

If he's not a fanatic, can he see this thread if I send him a link directly to it? He saw it before he went back to school, but I want to keep him current.
ya he can see it. just not post.

I have a picture from a trauma case of a guy that was brought into the ER after crashing his harley. You know those big cruisers that arent crotch rockets? Long story short he managed to crash his bike into a tree and his leg got caught in the bike causing it to be wrapped around the tree in the same fashion his bike was. By the time he came in, his leg was connected to the rest of his body literally by the underlying skin tissue. He lost the leg.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #209
Jmannumber7

My Ride: 135i M sport N54
Send a message via AIM to Jmannumber7 Send a message via MSN to Jmannumber7 Send a message via Yahoo to Jmannumber7 Send a message via Skype™ to Jmannumber7
When I first started riding my parents were the same way. They even threatened to kick me out of the house and change the locks when I was still living with them if I didn't get rid of my bike (back in highschool). It was not the right way to handle things. I kept riding the whole time and eventually they learned to live with it, and understood that it was my decision to make.

My best advice would be to teach him about the responsibilities of riding, and what can happen if you do not ride responsibly. Tell him to take his money he has set aside for a bike and first buy all the protective gear that you feel is adequate. Then he can take whatever money is left and spend it on a bike. Make him take the MSF course which not only teaches you all the basics, it lowers his insurance as well.
Jmannumber7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:42 PM   #210
alphawhiskey

My Ride: Foxtrot
Quote:
My 18 year old son--a freshman at Berkeley--squared away nicely...mentioned a month ago or so that he was "thinking of getting a motorcycle."

Last night I see him writing a thank you note to his Uncle...I learn that his Uncle, my brother-in-law, moron mechanic, is going to help him find a motorcycle this summer, teach him to ride it, so he can then buy one for himself in California.

I'm livid about this. My wife has said, "he can do what he wants, he's an adult."

She's right, but he's our kid and we have influence over him. She's aiding him in this purchase, rather than just saying "no" and ending it.

I've told him I love him and don't want him to die; I've discussed the reasons why motorcycles are dangerous.

Any of you have any hints that might help persuade him? I trust him...but not road surfaces, not other drivers. I have to try to convince him...and part of my trying is asking here.

I can't convince my wife, which astounds me, so I have to work with him...which is probably the right path anyway.

I know many of you ride and ride safely, but hope you can understand I don't want my son on one. If you can help me figure out how to convince him it's not a good choice, I'd appreciate it.

I'm pitching driving his car to California...would be a great trip for him...or selling it and getting a smart car (babe magnet!)...something like that.
Convincing a Freshman in college about the dangers of motorcycles is going to be tough, as he probably still has the invincibility mentality. Best you can do there is to have him shadow an ER doctor friend to see the corpses of all the motorcycle accidents. Pics online might not have the same effect. He does go to Berkeley, so he should be smart enough to know the dangers. It could be great for riding around the city, so long as he stays off the freeways it shouldn't be too bad.

The only real way to really keep him off a bike is to buy him a car he'd rather drive instead. Try making him a deal that you will help him out with a car if he stays off the bike. You can even be like my parents and just lie and say you will buy him one, and never follow through. lol. By the time it comes to pay up, he will be old enough to not want one.

I can't believe your wife. Women/moms are usually the ones that will do anything to protect their babies. Something is wrong with her. Also, just tell your brother to butt out of your family business. I just can't relate: my uncle would never think of helping out with a bike out of fear that my Dad will murder him.
alphawhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:18 AM   #211
SJZach

My Ride: orient blue 325xi
I lost one of my close childhood friends to a motorcycle accident this fall. He wasn't doing anything stupid, just got hit by a car the didn't see him when they were pulling out of there driveway and got tossed 30 feet from his bike. He was only 19. It was horrible to see him in the coffin.

In the end D. Max he's gona do what he wants. But just make sure he knows he is risking his life every time he rides a motorcycle. It doesn't matter what the size of the bike is. There really is no protection.

Last edited by SJZach; 03-08-2013 at 12:33 AM.
SJZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:04 AM   #212
Ballstowalls

My Ride: 05 e46 m3 vert
Ok I'm 17 I have been riding dirt bikes for 6 years I was looking for a bike then one of my good friends from church got hit and he was killed... He was 19.
Ballstowalls is offline   Reply With Quote