E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #161
|2eckLesS

My Ride: 2004 330ci
I can share my experience which is exactly what you are going through now. My father is a retired state trooper who took me on my first motorcycle ride when I was 10. He claims it was the 2nd biggest mistake of his life(first being not going to college) because he has seen the best and worst sides of motorcycles. I had the itch every since then and he did everything in his power to stop me, within reason. I was a bastard of a kid back then and while the cut off financially threat was heard, I knew he loved me so much, he wouldn't let me fail in my years at college.

When I was 19 I took out a 5k loan and got a GSX-600. Didn't tell him and rode for 4 months before I said something. When I told him, he said he knew and there was nothing he could do, I was a man and I could make my own decisions, but just said he was disappointed I didn't tell him and had my mother, grandmother, everybody reiterate the be careful point. Eventually summer ended and back to classes took away from my work and paying the insurance and bike payment was too much for me to handle. You should have the smile on his face while loading that Suzuki in the back of his truck to take it home. He rode it for 3 months while trying to sell it and I know as much as he complained he loved having one around again (moms told me he rode a lot.) the key here is to let you son learn the lessons of life on his own. I was paying 13.5% on that loan because I was an idiot. I got myself backed into a corner and he bailed me out and won, temporarily.

Then came the next summer and guess what, I saved up enough to get (cash this time) a 600cbr rr. To avoid the disappointing speech, I told them right away, saves on gas, better college parking, fun to drive and an alternative to drinking and parting all the time. It had some positives, but in long run I realized at 20/21 I was too irresponsible to have this machine as I was starting to get dangerous. I traded this in, sold my 99 camry, 88 runner and got a 06 350z. Not the safest, but great alternative and lots of fun. The key here is another fun alternative can be used as a replacement to keep you occupied.

The third one came in my last year of college and it was the a cheap viable option as money was tight and my altima has dropped an oil pan while driving. Key here bike only sucked because I got wet and was stuck at a lot of places.

To summarize this long post for you, let your son find his way on his own just be there to support him and do everything in your power just to show him you love him and want him to be happy, but safe. In the end it has kept me off a bike for the last 5 years because I have matured more and wasn't the idiot I was between 18-24.

Tell you BIL to do what he wants as far as teaching him, lessons, riding with, but also tell him this is your son and let you be the dad. No financial help. I don't know the relationship with you and your wife but it sounds like you might need to show her some of the videos and experiences of those who have had bikes. One of my dad's biggest worry was the amount of drinking and driving that goes on at college and doing that on a bike is quite possibly the dumbest thing anyone could ever do. I knew that and respected that 100% and I was an idiot. Offer to help him get a nicer car(if funds available), and try and distract, but I think he is going to do what he wants, and providing you did a good job raising him, he will turn out to make you really proud. I mean come on, he is at Berkley!

Brian
|2eckLesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #162
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
:p just bought one. Track only. That's he way to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1358108278.260237.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	485874  
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #163
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Those are some stories I just read...thanks for them. Snik, be safe buddy!

That image of the head in helmet without body is something...makes me think I'm 'fighting the good fight,' even though I know many of you don't.

Also, so you know, this isn't a commentary on the rider as much as the car drivers...and my view has changed considerably because of this thread.

Tracking is a great option to give him, and I have some friends who ride, I'm going to see if they can 'hook me up' this summer...bet one of them has an extra around somewhere.

If ultimately I lose the discussion and he rides in a city like Berkeley, what would be safer to ride? What's easiest to learn on? Something like a 250-350, or more like 500-600? What's safer in a city? Is size going to make any difference at all there? I know on highway cruises, you need larger, but for a kid in a city, just learning to ride, what would be safest? Just curious. Hope it doesn't get to this.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #164
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness
If you don't want him to get a bike, then say no and let it end at that.

You are buying it after all...

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:02 PM   #165
|2eckLesS

250 would be best because it is not as powerful and usually balanced a bit more upright which is easier to control at slow speeds. The coolness factor is lacking of what I'm sure he wants. There are some 500 modeled after the 600s which would be best for him. I'm 6'6" 240 and I never used all of my 600 and that was even tracked on open Sundays. 76mph in first, miss those days.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #166
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325inthe510 View Post
If you don't want him to get a bike, then say no and let it end at that.

You are buying it after all...
Well, as made clear to me in this thread, he is an adult and will do what he wants...if he can.

My wife (for the time being) has told him she'll help him if he has his heart set on it...

Now, he 'says' he won't get one for Berkeley, but wants to buy one to learn how to ride this summer here.

I'm suspicious about his plans, but we'll see. For now, I'm arguing with inarguable facts--that I love him and that I'd be destroyed if anything should happen to him.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 01-13-2013, 04:09 PM   #167
dirty vert

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Dmax, I understand how you feel, I'm not in your shoes yet, but my eldest is 14 and she could possibly be driving in a few years.. As a father, you always want your kids to be healthy and live a great life, but some things are uncontrollable. I know you want him to be safe and you worry that bad things will happen...I get that. The thing is, is that he is an adult and will be making the decisions for himself, you can only advise him at this time..hard to realize but it is what it is. I hope he has a good head on his shoulders because it seems to me his dad really cares for him. I hope that he understands what you have been trying to do, you just want him safe.
I worry about what my children will wind up like in life, I can try to instill the best in my children, but in the end it is their decision in life. I do have some good examples for what drugs can do for someone's life, so at least they can see and understand that. We just try and keep them safe..
dirty vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #168
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
The smaller the better. No as fast. Less acceleration. Less power. More forgiving.... And typically makes better riders too.
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #169
pancakes

My Ride: BMW M, VW GTI, BIKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snik View Post
The smaller the better. .... And typically makes better riders too.
ABSOLUTELY!!! you go on a forum of 250 riders and all they talk about is form, gear, and trails. go on any other forum and you'll be stupider for visiting.

Last edited by pancakes; 01-13-2013 at 04:45 PM.
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #170
mfanatic12

My Ride: O5 M3
His uncle is an idiot and I'm sorry but your wife is making a big mistake by saying he's an adult he can do whatever he wants. We all have been 18 but motorcycle is just a suicide not a good idea my dad told me if I buy a bike he'll kick me out of the house. It is very dangers. There are many videos on YouTube people getting hurt on bikes make sure he watches all of them I hope that changes his mind. Good luck my friend.
mfanatic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #171
pancakes

My Ride: BMW M, VW GTI, BIKE
bottom line is that if he has a significant other, that's the only thing that will stop him... otherwise, teach him to ride responsibly/defensibly.
pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:41 PM   #172
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty vert View Post
Dmax, I understand how you feel, I'm not in your shoes yet, but my eldest is 14 and she could possibly be driving in a few years.. As a father, you always want your kids to be healthy and live a great life, but some things are uncontrollable. I know you want him to be safe and you worry that bad things will happen...I get that. The thing is, is that he is an adult and will be making the decisions for himself, you can only advise him at this time..hard to realize but it is what it is. I hope he has a good head on his shoulders because it seems to me his dad really cares for him. I hope that he understands what you have been trying to do, you just want him safe.
I worry about what my children will wind up like in life, I can try to instill the best in my children, but in the end it is their decision in life. I do have some good examples for what drugs can do for someone's life, so at least they can see and understand that. We just try and keep them safe..
I think it's good that you're teaching your daughter about how drugs can help her...that's very liberal of you...my kind of person! ha!

I got over my "over my dead body" stage already...and the posts here helped me do that. I've told him how I feel...he can't argue with my feelings and I can't help but give them.

A small bike it will be...if it has to be.

Also, riders in particular, really thanks for all your comments, especially since, you know, I'm against what you do for my son to do. I hope some of you maybe have given some thought to how, when, and where you ride, and maybe were reminded of some things in this thread that would keep you safer.

I think this is a phase...he likes trying new things...and I know there's a 'cool' factor involved too.

I told him I'd get him a woman from fanatics to 'be' with him if he doesn't ride...just how to find her and work out the details!

A recent set

Old 01-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #173
IrunBimmer

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
My 18 year old son--a freshman at Berkeley--squared away nicely...mentioned a month ago or so that he was "thinking of getting a motorcycle."

Last night I see him writing a thank you note to his Uncle...I learn that his Uncle, my brother-in-law, moron mechanic, is going to help him find a motorcycle this summer, teach him to ride it, so he can then buy one for himself in California.

I'm livid about this. My wife has said, "he can do what he wants, he's an adult."

She's right, but he's our kid and we have influence over him. She's aiding him in this purchase, rather than just saying "no" and ending it.

I've told him I love him and don't want him to die; I've discussed the reasons why motorcycles are dangerous.

Any of you have any hints that might help persuade him? I trust him...but not road surfaces, not other drivers. I have to try to convince him...and part of my trying is asking here.

I can't convince my wife, which astounds me, so I have to work with him...which is probably the right path anyway.

I know many of you ride and ride safely, but hope you can understand I don't want my son on one. If you can help me figure out how to convince him it's not a good choice, I'd appreciate it.

I'm pitching driving his car to California...would be a great trip for him...or selling it and getting a smart car (babe magnet!)...something like that.
let him get a yamaha r1, best bike i have ever had. not bad for 18 too . next tell him to get a Spidi Neck DPS Vest Touring, it is an airbag jacket. now he needs to install himself a laser jammer and get a V1 radar detector. to top it all off tell him to accelerate to 130-140. after that he will never want to go over 80 unless he has balls of steel.
my parents only found out i had a bike when they came home from their vacation and i had that monster parked in my garage. if your son respects you he will keep your worries in the back of his head and wont be an idiot on the road.

Last edited by IrunBimmer; 01-15-2013 at 02:52 PM.
IrunBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #174
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrunBimmer View Post
let him get a yamaha r1, best bike i have ever had. not bad for 18 too . next tell him to get a Spidi Neck DPS Vest Touring, it is an airbag jacket. now he needs to install himself a laser jammer and get a V1 radar detector. to top it all off tell him to accelerate to 130-140. after that he will never want to go over 80 unless he has balls of steel.
my parents only found out i had a bike when they came home from their vacation and i had that monster parked in my garage. if your son respects you he will keep your worries in the back of his head and wont be an idiot on the road.
I'll pass along the message, Irun...except for the accelerate to 140 part!

He's very smart, so he wouldn't be an idiot wherever his is--my biggest concern is that there 'are' idiots on the road...with cars and trucks.

I've told him how I felt; he knows I'm not helping him in any way. I will, if the time come, help with education, if needed. I have friends that ride and I'm going to see if they have connections for a bike for him to practice on...in a safe place...if he hasn't changed his mind.

Guys, your stories and advice (from both sides) here have been great. I've really changed my thinking quite a bit about it. I'm not any less fearful than I was before, but I have more faith in him now...just less with the others on the road. I'm still working on him, as it were, but I have many good fall back positions, if needed.

Thanks again.

Doug

A recent set

Old 01-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #175
IrunBimmer

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
I'll pass along the message, Irun...except for the accelerate to 140 part!

He's very smart, so he wouldn't be an idiot wherever his is--my biggest concern is that there 'are' idiots on the road...with cars and trucks.

I've told him how I felt; he knows I'm not helping him in any way. I will, if the time come, help with education, if needed. I have friends that ride and I'm going to see if they have connections for a bike for him to practice on...in a safe place...if he hasn't changed his mind.

Guys, your stories and advice (from both sides) here have been great. I've really changed my thinking quite a bit about it. I'm not any less fearful than I was before, but I have more faith in him now...just less with the others on the road. I'm still working on him, as it were, but I have many good fall back positions, if needed.

Thanks again.

Doug
no reasonable parent will tell their kid to speed. i have only gotten to 130 and that scared me so i know i will never go that fast again. riding after dark i think is the most dangerous no matter how good of a rider you are. but the jacket is well worth it. i thankfully never had to use it but i do know guys who had the thing save their life.
IrunBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #176
|2eckLesS

Forgot, one thing my dad used to do when I was younger, have him sit on the ground and hold his legs down. Then tell him how would he like to be like that for the rest of his life. Paralysis is one of the scariest things about a bike. It's not the falling off that will kill you. It is what stops you. I laid my first one down doing 40 around a 25mph turn. Hit gravel and back tire slid right out. Fence post stopped me and had internal bleeding on my side. The whole ride home you know all I thought about was my dad holding my legs.

R1 98 in first, 198 top speed more horsepower then a Honda civic and weighs less then 500 lbs. The exact reason why armed forces young guns get a bad wrap about riding. They get there signing bonus and that's their choice, along with questionable decisions.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #177
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
My worry wouldn't be the motorcycle but the other drivers around him. As previously mentioned.

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.

Last edited by RockLee; 01-15-2013 at 11:14 PM.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #178
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
How'd it go?

Last edited by 'busa; 03-06-2013 at 03:03 PM.
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #179
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
Don't know how I missed this. Just present the facts: if you like life, stick with cars. Try to avoid things that are high-risk and chances are you'll live longer. We all need transportation to get around but we all get the choice on what to surround our bodies with. 3,300 lbs of steel and airbags or... nothing.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #180
Cpconst

My Ride: 2004 e46 m3
I got a 600r when I was 21 and had it for 1000 miles. I shouldn't be writing this now because I should be dead! I told myself I was mature and wouldn't do stupid stuff but after being chased by the state patrol down the interstate at 168 mph with other riders and ending up in jail for the weekend and then losing my liscense for two years I knew it had to go. The next weekend a buddy of mine lost control and died at the base of a telephone pole. Yea bikes are cool and fun but not worth dying. I have a 15 and 17 year old now and one day I plan on telling them of my stupidity and how lucky both they I am for being here today.

P.S. this was very hard for me to write!
Cpconst is offline   Reply With Quote