E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 01:55 AM   #1
YYCZHP

My Ride: 2005 330ci zhp
Custom CSL Trunk

Hey everyone, I'm really interested in a CSL trunk, however am worried about the fitment on the cheaper ones, yet don't want to spend excessive amounts of money on one such as a Vorsteiner one. So I thought about going about moulding my own off of an oem trunk. Obviously I would not do it on the one currently on my car as it would be more of an experimental thing and a learning experience. So here is what I was thinking and my two ideas I came up with:

Start with an oem trunk and sand down to the metal. From here I would apply a sense expanding foam in the general area. Obviously it's not going to look remotely close to a csl trunk. From here I would then sand it down into the general style of the csl trunk and apply fiberglass overtop of the foam. Sand it out and apply bondo, then sand it down to a smooth finish and paint.

My second idea was to skip the expanding foam idea in its entirety and just use either fiberglass or bondo.

By making my own, I believe I would eliminate the problems with fitment and it wouldn't be like any other csl trunk out there. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
5% tint all around - Tinted Tail Lights - Muffler Delete -Asa Ar1 - CF CS Splitters - 6000k Predator Orion v2 Angel Eyes - 8500k DRL - Aux Input - Racing Dynamics CF Intake - Racing Dynamics Front & Rear Strut Brace - Schroth Quick Fit Harnesses - Cf Style BMW Harness Pads - Cf ACS Trunk Lip - Cf Engine Covers - Cf Roundels - Cf Hamann Fog Light Covers - Lower Spring Perches - ECS Tow Hook

Last edited by YYCZHP; 11-26-2013 at 01:56 AM.
YYCZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
You'd have to make sure the foam sticks to the trunk somehow, with all that vibration and jolting going on in a car's everyday life.

Perhaps drilling small holes for the foam to expand into.

You can make anything look good if you spend enough time on it. Good luck!
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
YYCZHP

Custom CSL Trunk

Yeah I was thinking something along that line! Thanks for the advice!!

5% tint all around - Tinted Tail Lights - Muffler Delete -Asa Ar1 - CF CS Splitters - 6000k Predator Orion v2 Angel Eyes - 8500k DRL - Aux Input - Racing Dynamics CF Intake - Racing Dynamics Front & Rear Strut Brace - Schroth Quick Fit Harnesses - Cf Style BMW Harness Pads - Cf ACS Trunk Lip - Cf Engine Covers - Cf Roundels - Cf Hamann Fog Light Covers - Lower Spring Perches - ECS Tow Hook
Old 11-29-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
psykopsomatik

My Ride: '03 M3
I would think using foam and/or bondo will add unnecessary weight to your trunk and the trunk struts probably will no longer hold your trunk up, not to mention unwanted weight for performance.

If the existing aftermarket CSL trunks are not to your liking why not buy one and use bondo for fiberglass to make it the way you want? It is probably 99% to the way you want it as opposed to building from scratch - 0% the way you want it.
psykopsomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
YYCZHP

Custom CSL Trunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykopsomatik View Post
I would think using foam and/or bondo will add unnecessary weight to your trunk and the trunk struts probably will no longer hold your trunk up, not to mention unwanted weight for performance.

If the existing aftermarket CSL trunks are not to your liking why not buy one and use bondo for fiberglass to make it the way you want? It is probably 99% to the way you want it as opposed to building from scratch - 0% the way you want it.
Well I think i was going to do a foam kinda mock up on the trunk, fiberglass over that so I have a fiberglass she'll, remove the foam and then fiberglass and bondo that to the trunk. Maybe a couple screws as we'll for safe measure and obviously bondo over them.

As for buying one and modifying it, first off you have to modify the keyhole, the light bracketry, adjust to fit the Taillights, and adjust the edge to get smooth lines. By no means am I a body man so I feel like although this sounds like an "easier" way to do it for a body man, for myself I feel as if this would result in more work. Not to mention I would still have to pay ~$500 for the trunk before paint and modification whereas I could go pickup a oem trunk for pennies on the dollar at pick n pull. Sweat equity my friend. Also it's a bit more personal satisfaction and a learning process.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
psykopsomatik

My Ride: '03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanTosi View Post
Well I think i was going to do a foam kinda mock up on the trunk, fiberglass over that so I have a fiberglass she'll, remove the foam and then fiberglass and bondo that to the trunk. Maybe a couple screws as we'll for safe measure and obviously bondo over them.

As for buying one and modifying it, first off you have to modify the keyhole, the light bracketry, adjust to fit the Taillights, and adjust the edge to get smooth lines. By no means am I a body man so I feel like although this sounds like an "easier" way to do it for a body man, for myself I feel as if this would result in more work. Not to mention I would still have to pay ~$500 for the trunk before paint and modification whereas I could go pickup a oem trunk for pennies on the dollar at pick n pull. Sweat equity my friend. Also it's a bit more personal satisfaction and a learning process.

Modifying the keyhole and light openings is not that difficult. Considering you are willing to spend the time already to fabricate a CSL trunk I'm sure you can modify a CSL trunk working slowly to get it just right. Not being a body man I think you may find it much more challenging to get the lines just right fabricating from scratch. Another thing to consider that I forgot to mention earlier is the cracking of the bondo that will follow after opening and closing your trunk a few times.

Last edited by psykopsomatik; 11-30-2013 at 12:25 AM. Reason: correct spelling and grammar
psykopsomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
TnT817

My Ride: 01 330ci
If you know anyone with a csl trunk all you need to do is see if you can make a mold of the lip portion of it by taping it all off and fiberglassing over the tape then boom theres your mold. Just add some mold release to the inside and fiberglass the inside of the mold. Then you have a damn near perfect section to add to your trunk besides the standard sanding and body fill.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:04 AM   #8
YYCZHP

Custom CSL Trunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnT817 View Post
If you know anyone with a csl trunk all you need to do is see if you can make a mold of the lip portion of it by taping it all off and fiberglassing over the tape then boom theres your mold. Just add some mold release to the inside and fiberglass the inside of the mold. Then you have a damn near perfect section to add to your trunk besides the standard sanding and body fill.
Dude! Brilliant! Haha never thought of this!!!

Old 12-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
Hell you could do carbon fiber just as easily as fiberglass....
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
YYCZHP

Custom CSL Trunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlag96 View Post
Hell you could do carbon fiber just as easily as fiberglass....
Yeah definitely an option. I've looked at a bunch if diy carbon parts and seems like it's a real pita. Maybe down the road though!!

Old 12-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
TnT817

Not really. All you need is a cardboard box, a small heater, and a vacuum bag. Just make sure you get pre impregnated carbon.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #12
YYCZHP

Custom CSL Trunk

Quote:
Not really. All you need is a cardboard box, a small heater, and a vacuum bag. Just make sure you get pre impregnated carbon.
That's getting into some expensive territory though is it not? By the time you buy a trunk, the carbon, and the vacuum bag/pump you might as we'll have just picked up the Vorsteiner one though? Call me out on it if I'm missing something though haha

Old 12-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #13
58ceramicgreen

My Ride: 330Ci Convertible
Stumbled across this..why not skip the guesswork and hassle of trying to make it symetrical and just mold in one of these? This is just a generic link..I know I've seen these on ebay.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/E46-c...506197084.html
58ceramicgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #14
YYCZHP

Custom CSL Trunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58ceramicgreen View Post
Stumbled across this..why not skip the guesswork and hassle of trying to make it symetrical and just mold in one of these? This is just a generic link..I know I've seen these on ebay.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/E46-c...506197084.html
Yeah actually stumbled across that this morning and was thinking about it!

Old 12-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #15
TnT817

Quote:
That's getting into some expensive territory though is it not? By the time you buy a trunk, the carbon, and the vacuum bag/pump you might as we'll have just picked up the Vorsteiner one though? Call me out on it if I'm missing something though haha

This would be in the scenario that you knew someone with a csl trunk already and you made a mold from their trunk. Pre impregnated carbon is fairly cheap depending on where and how much you buy. You can use just about any vacuum bag you want. Just have to make sure it is big enough. Not sure if you think that I was saying to do the whole trunk in carbon or not but I was talking about just doing the lip section in carbon.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #16
TnT817

Quote:
Yeah actually stumbled across that this morning and was thinking about it!

The one problem I see with this is the sides. They don't roll into the rest of the body like a real csl boot lid would.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #17
YYCZHP

Custom CSL Trunk

Quote:
The one problem I see with this is the sides. They don't roll into the rest of the body like a real csl boot lid would.
Yeah... May end up just going with a full cf csl trunk and leaving it exposed as my car is already sapphire black. This project seems to be getting more and more expensive as it progresses. There's a local oem trunk for sale for $280, plus parts and random supplies call it $50, then paint is going to be around $300. I'm already up to $630 haha.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #18
TnT817

Who's charging you 300 to paint a trunk? I had front/rear bumpers, hood and side skirts on my e36 painted hellrot (red is a very expensive paint compared to anything else) for 300. Maybe do a little bit of shopping for paint or spray it yourself! Always a good skill to have.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #19
jclip

My Ride: 06 m3, 01 325
This is a terrible idea.

Sorry OP, not trying to come off as a D!ck, but someone had to tell ya

Last edited by jclip; 12-06-2013 at 09:47 PM.
jclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:23 AM   #20
777eThOd*

My Ride: spins too much
Lol... I wanna see progress pics..

2007 BMW 335i FBO 6MT - Current
2013 Nissan Nismo 370Z - Current
2004 Non-M Facelift Coupe - SOLD
2006 BMW M3 - SOLD
777eThOd* is offline   Reply With Quote