E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #21
studmuffin562
Account Under Review

My Ride: e46 325i 2001
Haters gonna hate lmao
studmuffin562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #22
Weste46

My Ride: 2001 330ci
..he's still got a 325 badge, I say as long as that's there, do what you will. I think the exhaust looks good.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

Koni STR.T, poly RTABs, headers, SSK.
Three Pedals, ZSP.
Weste46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #23
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN View Post
that just looks awful.
x2 lol
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:38 AM   #24
Zatarain

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Its all good man, its your car, do with it as you please. Pay no mind to the people clowning, not everyone can afford an M3.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #25
erod225

My Ride: 2003 M3XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by studmuffin562 View Post
Just finished my quad exhaust

you need to cut out the spare tire well with a grinder

then patch it up with 2 aluminum sheets of metall all held down by screws and black silicone and some rubber sealant spray.

here are some pics and some videos on how it sounds
im not telling anyone what exhaust im running so dont ask lol

Straight rice, not hating. Do you if it makes you happy, too much rice for my taste.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #26
NJfistpumpin

My Ride: 2003 OG M3
Props to doing it yourself man, to those saying rice, ugly yada yada, I've seen way worse examples of cars on here. Yours isn't my cup of tea but please take it to get that sheet metal welded in the trunk, riveting it down does not help re beef the rear end of your car. Other then that thumbs up on having the balls to do it yorself
Old 01-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #27
jblack03zhp

My Ride: 330i zhp
Sweet mother Mary and Joseph! That's a hideous hack job!! Why on earth would you cut the spare tire area out?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Koolaid View Post
The difference being men don't make excuses to rationalize why it's okay. We do as we please. No fucks will be given. You ma'am, give a fuck.
jblack03zhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #28
benzedid

My Ride: 2001 BMW E46 318i
Send a message via Skype™ to benzedid
I was feeling a bit hesitant to say it but, that job does need some improvement. The exhaust look nice but you need a REAL diffuser in there and not just plasti-dipped bumper. And why not change the bumper for an M3 one? I don't think cutting that spare wheel well was a good idea. I don't know... it may compromise the vehicle rigidity or structure. Overall, I would say 3/10 because you had the balls to do the job in the first place.

benzedid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #29
wshgrntd

My Ride: 2007 335i m-sport
yeah..... 3\10... however you could redeem yourself with an m3 bumper and exhaust... check rockauto or car-parts.com. It would make cutting out the spare wheel well all worth it!
wshgrntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #30
///BM3R

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Send a message via Skype™ to ///BM3R
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by wshgrntd View Post
yeah..... 3\10... however you could redeem yourself with an m3 bumper and exhaust... check rockauto or car-parts.com. It would make cutting out the spare wheel well all worth it!
really good start on the car though but please get a M3 rear bumper

///BM3R
///BM3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:45 AM   #31
E5-E46

My Ride: 04 330i
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse M View Post
If you cut the spare tire well out, why didn't you just go with an M3 rep bumper so that the rear end looks semi decent instead of showing two oval cans and a half assed trunk that will probably fall to the floor when you put anything in there now?
WHAT HOOD IS THAT?! I WANT ONE!!
E5-E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:51 AM   #32
E5-E46

My Ride: 04 330i
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse M View Post
If you cut the spare tire well out, why didn't you just go with an M3 rep bumper so that the rear end looks semi decent instead of showing two oval cans and a half assed trunk that will probably fall to the floor when you put anything in there now?
WHAT HOOD IS THAT?! I WANT ONE!!
E5-E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #33
jimmy schimmel

My Ride: 325i
Haters gonna hate! Looks nice. I like the diffuser look

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Bimmer App
Old 02-20-2013, 04:39 PM   #34
E46Snowball

My Ride: 330i
Yuck
6 speed

Last edited by E46Snowball; 02-20-2013 at 04:42 PM.
E46Snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #35
BuckFutter

My Ride: 04 E46 325i
Its ricey, then again so is cleared corners. I think it looks better for sure, and its your car. I would weld a disc back over where you cut out the well, both for integrity, safety, and heat protection. **** that would normally hit your under is now hitting your cleaned shirts. Overall props. It looks good and you did it yourself. Id patch the hole though
BuckFutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:31 AM   #36
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
I also agree with the fact that he kept the 325 badge on. at least when an M approaches from behind, although he'll look at it a bit closer, he's not searching around wondering if its an M car. I like the exhaust note. The others are correct in saying that you do need an M rear bumper. Those exhaust are nice but without the bumper, it doesn't give it that aggressive sporty look, like the M bumper does. I'm also looking at cutting out the spare tire well since I don't have one in it anyways. Perhaps not cut it out all the way since I want to leave room for my amps to sit. No this isn't too ricey, well, it is without the proper bumper but once the right bumper is on there, and perhaps a CSL trunk as well, you'll look good. then you earn the right to run without emblems in the back, so long as you don't go slapping M3 ones on it. I also thought one of the 2 biggest no nos for our cars is slapping m3 vents and m3 emblems. slapping m3 side mirrors is borderline but acceptable. I'm not sure i agree with those vents. If I personally decided to put vents on there, I'd look at trying to customize my own vents with my own design.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 02-24-2013 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1361691392
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:34 AM   #37
NumbaOneNewb

lol. i just noticed something. technically, anything can be labeled ricey. a lot of times, ricey is used to label someone trying to pretend to be something their not. If you noticed, including myself, most of us non Ms, have m3 fronts, csl fronts or m3 rims, which I understand is factory, but in a way we are all pretending to be something we're not also. Just because bmw slapped it on there and said its ok it goes there even though it belongs to an M car doesn't mean its immune to being called ricey. their not the pope and I don't want their blessing.

as for the M owners, I'm sure any one of ours cars that isn't an M could be considered ricey to you, so no point saying his jobs ricey. I'm sure all of us with our m3 bumpers and rims are all ricey to you folks. lol. although I'm sure that this goes for all of us non-Ms, I want an M car so bad. I don't care what series it is, so long as its an M car. That's my irresponsible and broke personality saying that. My practical side however made the better judgement. although I could've afford an M car, the price difference would've kept all modifications that I have on my car off of it, an maintenance and preventative maintenance non existent, and more than likely I actually would have had to make payments instead of paying straight cash. although they're beautiful machines, unless you got money up the wazoo to purchase one, especially the jaw dropping mouth drooingl 2012 M3 (dear god they are so beautiful), then I'm not so sure they're practical for your average guy. But since I went non m, I was able to afford the cosmetic upgrades, m3 front and rear seats, $1500 stereo system upgrade, and so many parts replaced under the hood that my car will make it to the age of 200,000 miles no problem and keep going.
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 02-24-2013 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1361692360
Old 02-24-2013, 01:48 AM   #38
jimmy schimmel

My Ride: 325i
"Earn the right to remove emblems"....
Haha I like that
Old 02-24-2013, 02:03 AM   #39
NumbaOneNewb

yeah. although most claim they like the clean look, to me, it seems they're trying to hide something.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:31 AM   #40
DesiredM

My Ride: E46 M3
Ok it doesn't look that bad but please get a new bumper and get rid of the m3 grills that's so cheap and looks awful.
DesiredM is offline   Reply With Quote