E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
b3m4

My Ride: E46 1999 323i
How to connect hoses to aluminum thermostat housing (has no clips) : SOLVED

So I read everyware that I should upgrade the thermostat housing to aluminum and most places online sell this

http://www.amazon.com/Beck-Arnley-14...ywords=1470041

So I bought it.

Now I see that
(1) it does not have a plug.
(2) it does not have clamps for the hoses.

I'm a total newbie when it comes to DIY.

How am I supposed to connect the hose to this housing?

Also, why would they sell it without a plug? What is that plug for? Is it a prob then I don't have a plug on the new housing?

Should I just change the thermostat and keep the old plastic housing?

Last edited by b3m4; 04-22-2014 at 08:52 PM.
b3m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Everywhere say to avoid metal housing thermostats, non-fitting, bad construction, etc. On the E46, the actual thermostat fails, not its housing.

It does not have a plug - it is not meant for your engine. The plug is important, it allows the ECU to electronically control the thermostat when engine is under load.
it does not have clamps - you probably need to use hose clips and possibly custom coolant hoses.

Return it and get an OEM Behr or Wahler. Both options come with the thermostat installed in the housing, they are not meant to be separated.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
b3m4

That is interesintg. I have not heard anyone else state what you just said.

Here is one vid, check it out. Explains why the e46 plastic housing is not good.

Here are inst to change housing from some tutorial I found
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...thermostat.htm

Does anyone else have an opinion about this? If the plastic housing is so good than I can just keep the stant (more expensive then whaler) thermostat I bought and just buy a new rubber seal for the plastic housing, no?

Last edited by b3m4; 04-05-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #4
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3m4 View Post
So I read everyware that I should upgrade the thermostat housing to aluminum and most places online sell this

http://www.amazon.com/Beck-Arnley-14...ywords=1470041

So I bought it.

Now I see that
(1) it does not have a plug.
(2) it does not have clamps for the hoses.

I'm a total newbie when it comes to DIY.

How am I supposed to connect the hose to this housing?

Also, why would they sell it without a plug? What is that plug for? Is it a prob then I don't have a plug on the new housing?

Should I just change the thermostat and keep the old plastic housing?
Where did you read THAT, and how much did you really read?

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:00 PM   #5
cvx5832

My Ride: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Quote:
That is interesintg. I have not heard anyone else state what you just said.

Here is one vid, check it out. Explains why the e46 plastic housing is not good.

Here are inst to change housing from some tutorial I found
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...thermostat.htm

Does anyone else have an opinion about this? If the plastic housing is so good than I can just keep the stant (more expensive then whaler) thermostat I bought and just buy a new rubber seal for the plastic housing, no?
That's for the E36. Composites are no longer made from Durathan as it was on the E36. On the E46 they utilized PPS, which is far superior. Google it, interesting stuff.

cvx5832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #6
b3m4

I don't keep a log I have read quite a bit in the last 2 weeks. I ordered the part 2 weeks ago. I knew nothing about cars when I bought the car a month ago and now I know quite a bit more than what I used to. I'm still quite a newbie, no doubt...

At any rate, check the video above. That was one of my sources...

Most online stores don't even sell the housing with the thermostat. I know some do but most sell it seperatelly. rockauto for example.

Last edited by b3m4; 04-05-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:11 PM   #7
ubiquity0

My Ride: 2001 330Cic
The aluminum housing thermostats are junk. I bought one from ECS tuning and it became the source of constant check engine lights for a failed thermostat. It appeared to be opening & closing correctly but something about it was incompatible with the ECU, causing false failed T-stat codes.
ubiquity0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:12 PM   #8
b3m4

"On the E46 they utilized PPS, which is far superior"

So I can just change the gasket on that then, right? I'm being "cheap" because I just bought the car plus $1000 in parts so I'm all out of money. If a gasket is good enough let me know. That's like $10.

I already have a new stant thermostat. Can I use that with the old housing with a new gasket?

I'd rather not spend $60 to 90 for a whaler housing with thermostat, unless I am strongly advised to not use the stant thermostat I bought for some reason.

I believe you guys about the aluminum. When I got It, it was disappointed at how it looked. Looks cheap.

Last edited by b3m4; 04-05-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #9
BimmersGarage

My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
Quote:
"On the E46 they utilized PPS, which is far superior"

So I can just change the gasket on that then, right? I'm being "cheap" because I just bought the car plus $1000 in parts so I'm all out of money. If a gasket is good enough let me know. That's like $10.

I already have a new stant thermostat. Can I use that with the old housing with a new gasket?

I'd rather not spend $60 to 90 for a whaler housing with thermostat, unless I am strongly advised to not use the stant thermostat I bought for some reason.

I believe you guys about the aluminum. When I got It, it was disappointed at how it looked. Looks cheap.
No, it is not recommended.
> Your original thermostat is probably more than 14 years old..
Do not skimp on this very important component. Buy a brand new unit and replace.

Those aluminum units are notorious for causing problems and major headaches. Avoid them.

Last edited by BimmersGarage; 04-05-2014 at 05:52 PM.
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #10
b3m4

^Thanks for the video.

Ok, I'll get a complete unit.

Does this include a thermostat?
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199..._assembly.html

It says "Wahler Thermostat Assembly" and then it says "Detailed Notes: Includes Seal" and "Product Remark: with Housing".

It doesn't say that it includes the matching thermostat... or is that a given when they say "thermostat assembly"?

Last edited by b3m4; 04-05-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #11
330ism

My Ride: 2004 330I ZHP
Quote:
I don't keep a log I have read quite a bit in the last 2 weeks. I ordered the part 2 weeks ago. I knew nothing about cars when I bought the car a month ago and now I know quite a bit more than what I used to. I'm still quite a newbie, no doubt...

At any rate, check the video above. That was one of my sources...

Most online stores don't even sell the housing with the thermostat. I know some do but most sell it seperatelly. rockauto for example.
Op there are many sites that sell the housing and thermostat together.. Look at the site sponsors on here. You won't see them on the app you have to go to the actual e46 fanatics page.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-05-2014, 10:10 PM   #12
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
I have read quite a bit in the last 2 weeks.
All that book-learning is gonna be the end of you!!

Gotta learn the same lesson we all have here. Must buy quality parts as close to oe as you can lay your hands on. Make sure to avoid Cheap Chinese Crap.
Shop for top quality for low prices at these many places:

www.furiousmethod.com

Don't attempt to re-invent the wheel
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:47 PM   #13
b3m4

Ya, I shall take your advice.

So... what does thermostat assembly mean? Does that mean it includes the thermostat and not just the housing? Please see my link above.

The poster up top told me to get Whaler (=OEM) or Behr (=OEM). That's what I'm trying to do. What confuses me is that the stores that sell Whaler and Behr, list this as "thermostat assembly which includes housing". Strange wording. There is no mention of a thermostat. Shouldn't it be listed as "housing that includes thermostat"?

Last edited by b3m4; 04-05-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:20 AM   #14
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
When people say thermostat for e46, they mean thermostat assembly. Does not easily come apart.

Comes with housing, thermostat, and electrical plug connection. And as I recall, gasket came glued on.
Wahler or Mahle Behr are both OK.

http://www.rmeuropean.com/bmw-parts.aspx#Category
Part # 11-53-7-509-227

Last edited by Stinger9; 04-06-2014 at 01:28 AM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:32 AM   #15
tkrotchko

My Ride: 2002 330i
The gasket isn't glued on. It sits in a groove in the housing, even though at first it doesn't look like it.
tkrotchko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:51 PM   #16
b3m4

Thank you. I bought a Behr t-stat with housing as sugested. All is fine. Cheers.

Returned the aluminum housing.