E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2017, 04:52 AM   #1
DMartBossman

My Ride: 2003 E46 330i
Rear Passanger Door Water Leak! HELP!

Since this LA rain has been happening, I started to notice that my rear passenger side carpet was moist with water. I got the chance to investigate while it was raining and tried to track it down. To my surprise, after removing the cover molding near the bottom of the seat I notice that water was leaking in near the inner door seal.

Has anyone had this problem? Is there a fix to this? Not really planning on paying $95 for a new inner seal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170122_154116(1).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	649225   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170122_154230.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	649226   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170122_154250.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	649227  
DMartBossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:00 AM   #2
steviehp1

My Ride: 3 series E46 2003
Your door seal looks dry and cracked, rub your seal generously with linseed oil or vase line to restore its flexibility, it helped mine after a few attempts.

The Pipster has spoken
steviehp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:58 AM   #3
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
OP, has the door card (the interior cover) ever been removed? There's a vapor barrier behind the door card. It may have been removed and improperly replaced. That'll cause leaks. Also, check the drain holes on the underside of the door. They could be clogged.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:05 PM   #4
DMartBossman

My Ride: 2003 E46 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
OP, has the door card (the interior cover) ever been removed? There's a vapor barrier behind the door card. It may have been removed and improperly replaced. That'll cause leaks. Also, check the drain holes on the underside of the door. They could be clogged.

I did get my speakers change a while back.

Today I got the chance to remove my rear panel and the vapor barrier was seal properly and it was completely dry.

After putting back the rear panel on, I just lifted the inner sealed up and here's what I saw.

Does this mean I should might as well buy a new inner sealed?

Last edited by DMartBossman; 01-23-2017 at 04:10 PM.
DMartBossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:57 AM   #5
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMartBossman View Post
I did get my speakers change a while back.

Today I got the chance to remove my rear panel and the vapor barrier was seal properly and it was completely dry.

After putting back the rear panel on, I just lifted the inner sealed up and here's what I saw.

Does this mean I should might as well buy a new inner sealed?

Hmmmm. That foam cover may or may not be the vapor barrier!! That looks like a sound deadening layer. The vapor barrier is usually a fairly thick plastic sheet (thickness: at least 15 mil) that's attached to the door with some nasty black tar-like substance. As far as the gasket, it depends on where the broken section is located. If it's at the bottom I'd leave it perhaps with a bit of repair using RTV. These gasket are very expensive, btw.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:13 AM   #6
jeepo23

My Ride: 2008 X3, 6 Speed
What you have there is a vapour barrier. The vapour barrier may look fine. But did you run your fingers around the edge of it where its glued/sealed to the door. I'm betting that its not fastened all the way around your door as it my appear. Run your finger around it and see if you can pop it through anywhere

Last edited by jeepo23; 01-24-2017 at 09:13 AM.
jeepo23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e46, inner seal, rear door, water leak, water problem