E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
yaboc

My Ride: 02 325iA
knocking sound right wheel

hi

i have knocking in the right front wheel. it hapens most of the time around 40mph or also when driving taking a long smooth left turn. i suspected the fcabs and replaced them today. took the car for a spin and the steering definitely feels much tighter however the knocking is still there. could these be control arms (still orig at 98k). how can i check control arms if they need to be replaced ? is there anything else i can look for in order to fix this issue? it just feels like the wheel is bouncing around during those speeds or that turn. thanks
yaboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Wheel bearings, I bet...the right one. But, be careful assuming it's the front...probably is, but sounds can be deceiving.

Usually you'd replace rt. and left together, but it's possible you just took a hard hit on that side and thus it 'went out' a little.

If it's 'timed' to a wheel rotation, it's undoubtedly a bearing...front or rear. You might not be able to confirm so well by just spinning the wheels and listening with stethoscope, but you could try.

Also, if bearing, the sound will get worse and worse, and I'll just say you could probably drive for a month or more, but I'd get to it soon. In the front, the bearing is built into the hub. In the rear, you can replace just the bearing.

HTH

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
yaboc

thanks for the nfo dmax! im pretty positive it's front right but ill double check. should these be replace in pairs too or if the other side is fine leave it alone ?

also this website has these already pressed into hubs so the DIY should be much simpler.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-325...heel_Bearings/

should i go with geniuine or MTC (the cheapest one) will do the job as well ?
Old 01-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
yaboc

upon some further inspection it seems like the driver front wheel spins freely where as pass side (the one with knocking sound) is almost as if it's seized, it takes a bit of muscle to just move it a bit. forget turning it with one hand. is this still the wheel bearing with hub issue ?

Last edited by yaboc; 01-20-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
dmax

Read up on MTC...sounds like one of those brands that might not be so good...but who knows, could be OE. Search for MTC here and I'm sure you'll find feedback.

Typically you do things like this in pairs, but, as I said, one side might have been damaged by a hit, so one side is all you'd need.

Also, the front bearing is always pressed in the hub. The diy should be easier, but you'll need some special tools too. There was a recent thread about this...probably a number of them here.

Anyway, get into the wheel just to confirm things...it sounds like bearing, but you should check other basics, like make sure your wheel is on tight.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 01-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
yaboc

dmax it appears that the wheel in question is almost seized. i have to really get on it to turn it. it wont turn as easy as the driver side.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
yaboc

the caliper may be seized but it doesn't explain the knocking sound. looks like im in for a lot of diy
Old 01-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaboc View Post
dmax it appears that the wheel in question is almost seized. i have to really get on it to turn it. it wont turn as easy as the driver side.
Based on your sound...I used to describe wheel bearing like a whoop whooping...that's bearing...I'm surprised it's tough to move, but you can confirm it's bearing when you remove caliper...

Have fun!

A recent set