E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #21
FastHackem

My Ride: E60 M5
You need the blue one. Anyway, search, there are a sh1t load of threads about this stuff.

The Mind Is A Terrible Thing.
2006 M5
2005 Impreza WRX
2002 330i
1983 944

Last edited by FastHackem; 01-10-2013 at 01:43 PM.
FastHackem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #22
BavarianBorn

My Ride: 2005 3.30i ZHP
Yeah I'm knee deep in it... except I haven't seen any resolutions to the DME not found for people who dont have a 20 pin under hood.

I installed the software & drivers included with the CD, but I never did the USB-serial drivers reccomended here:

http://www.resettools.com/quick_star...ed_setup_guide

Should I be installing those drivers?

Last edited by BavarianBorn; 01-10-2013 at 06:18 PM.
BavarianBorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #23
Jascha

My Ride: 330ci
I bought this more (2x) expensive version and had no luck erasing SRS error codes (all associated subsystems are in working order) and was not able to turn the airbag light off.

I just downloaded the suggested latest drivers but to no avail...

You might want to reboot your system (re-seat the OBD connector few times) that often makes the DME display on PASoft...

Last edited by Jascha; 03-22-2013 at 05:17 AM.
Jascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #24
Jascha

There is plenty of confusion to go around...

The scanner I purchased is from a different supplier (using PASoft version 1.4.0.6) that cost twice as much -not especially responsive nor knowledgeable technical support. On occasion, this Scanner will not read ('not found') SRS module which is odd since a reboot of my PC will allow it to do so (installed latest USB drivers).

It shows 11 old (yellow boxes) errors but the main offender 'airbag warning light' will not clear (all SRS related sensors and airbag status check OK)

Welcome your collective thoughts and wisdom?

Last edited by Jascha; 01-23-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #25
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Bring up real time date for the air bag/SRS section within PA Soft and make sure all your seat belts, seat sensors and other things are properly working.

Dl you know the cars history?

Why is the Airbag light on?

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #26
Jascha

Thanks JfoJ...

Yes, all real time SRS settings are correct and responsive (seatbelt letch, seating sensor, airbags, etc).

No idea why the airbag light came on suddenly -The connector under the passenger seat may have been disturbed while retracted back (trapping a water bottle). I reconnected and tried to clear again but to no avail...(?)

I even disconnected the battery (negative terminal) overnight and tried again but no luck.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Last edited by Jascha; 01-23-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #27
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
you need the blue variation to work with INPA. The Xcar360ish is used with PA Soft.
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l 365AutoSports one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #28
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jascha View Post
Thanks JfoJ...

Yes, all real time SRS settings are correct and responsive (seatbelt letch, seating sensor, airbags, etc).

No idea why the airbag light came on suddenly -The connector under the passenger seat may have been disturbed while retracted back (trapping a water bottle). I reconnected and tried to clear again but to no avail...(?)

I even disconnected the battery (negative terminal) overnight and tried again but no luck.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.
You mention the connector under the passenger seat, many of these connectors come loss from the seat frame and sit on the floor. Did the water bottle leak at all??

I had a really strange problem happen on an E46 at one point. During the Summer someone when to pick tomatoes from a friends garden and they did not have a bag. One of the tomatoes rolled under the passenger seat and sat against the big seat connector for a few days. The skin on the tomato broke and a small amount of juice from the tomato got on the connector under the seat and caused electrolysis to eat a up a few connector pins and trigger the airbag light. A few pins actually looked burned and melted, but they were actually corroded.

As I recall there was a code for the seat back position as it was a 2 door car??

You may want to pop the connector open under the passenger seat and carefully inspect all the wiring. You may just have water in the connector and it may not cause a trouble code to be triggered but somehow confuse the airbag module??

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #29
Jascha

Thanks for your clever insight...

The connector never separated as such -I simply assumed that it may have been disturbed when the seat was retracted. The water bottles was just jammed nearby but never spilled. All the seat and related functions (accupancy, belts, etc) are all normal and responsive to changes.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #30
djacs1

My Ride: 2001 325i
Anyone know how Jascha got his issue solved? I seem to be there now...

I have the same symptoms: Airbag red dash idiot light came on suddenly 3 months ago, no apparent event caused it , PA Soft shows 8 yellow (currently not present) errors only in SRS, all other SRS on Live Data shows green and responds correctly. I even tried using the coding to toggle off each of the items and watched the Airbag light. (I had tried this with the Seat Belt red idiot light and got it to stay out when I toggled the driver's seat belt buckle switch with PA Soft.) I could see the Airbag red idiot light go out for a second then come right back for each item I toggled in SRS.

Ive owned this car from day one so I know it has not hit anything that would cause airbag deployment.

Like many others Ive worked on window regs and messed with door airbags a little. I tried to visually check some of the connectors but I don't know squat about the systems. Ive been doing lots of searching, but I must admit, I am very weak at search capabilities. Still typing at snails pace.

Any thoughts on how else to figure this out are most appreciated.
djacs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:52 PM   #31
TT330i

My Ride: 2003 330i
If you don't have any specific errors, like seat sensor, etc., then you may have to replace the air bag control module. That's what worked for me when my light randomly came on one day.
TT330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 07:31 PM   #32
djacs1

I was thinking that too. I thought I saw a DIY for that. Where did you get a replacement module? Hopefully not real $? What did you do about re-coding it? Can PA Soft do it?

Anything else I should try before I go for the module?
Old 01-11-2014, 09:36 AM   #33
Jascha

After much hesitation (misguided) to accept the inevitable that the control module might be faulted, I tried few simple things (be sure to disconnect the negative battery terminal). Took out the unit and reset the connector to no avail.

Purchased the obligatory INPA or DIS software which required finding a 50Gb disc space Windows XP computer (laptopt) and a steep learning curve to make it work -still, could not reset the air bag light.

I found a E46 replacement module (similar release version) on eBay but have not installed it yet (not my daily driver) since I was not sure of how much coding (if any) is required and some question on the true history of the SRS module.

Keep us updated if you decide to replace it and the approach you to took to 'code' (is it a coupe or 4-door)

Last edited by Jascha; 01-11-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #34
djacs1

4 door sedan.

I saw a post on here where one of the subject experts on PA soft stated that PA soft could be used to re-code a replacement module. That would be nice, but I'm pretty computer stupid. (I still cant fiqure out how to attach images or screen shots to these posts!)

Wish me luck.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #35
Jascha

That brings-up an answered question (on many related threads) : what is exactly meant by 'coding' the replacement SRS Module (number of active air bags, etc ?) are all E46 SRS controllers universal in terms what features they can support (?)

Can someone in the know chime with examples or pionters... (?)

Indeed, PA Soft has many impressive capabilities (I managed to reprogram my remote activated windows, arming / disarming features, etc) but I did not see great deal of E46 model-related SRS specificity

Last edited by Jascha; 01-11-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:03 PM   #36
TT330i

Djacs, I got my module on eBay for $47. Take your center console out and check the part number on the module. Be sure to get the same one. There is no coding necessary (nor do i know how to if there was) when you get the right used module. My sedan didn't have rear airbags, so i got a used from an m3, simple fix.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #37
djacs1

Hmmm. I kept reading here that you had to re-code them. If the SRS equipment config and part number all match sounds like re-coding is not needed. Cool.

I saw a place called myairbags.com or similar that had them by part number for not too much also (70-90).

Thanks, this is encouraging.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:22 PM   #38
TT330i

I remember looking at that site, but didn't go with them for some reason i can't recall, probably just cheaper elsewhere. I did mine about a year ago. So long as the part number is the same the only reprogramming might be if your car did/didn't have rear airbags. That might be as simple as toggling in pasoft, I seem to remember something about that as well, but not 100%. If you get the right module you'll be set, pull the trigger and forget about it.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:59 PM   #39
djacs1

Yeah. When I get some more time I'll do it. Thanks or the help.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:40 PM   #40
djacs1

Well finally got time and did just like TT330i and replaced my SRS module with exact part number off ebay and it worked! I did use pa soft to toggle 1 equipment item to match my original module. No more airbag light!