E46 Fanatics Forum banner

SES Light Remains - Using PASoft 1.4

11K views 40 replies 10 participants last post by  TT330i 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

After using this forum to repair an endless amount of DIY projects from VANOS to Window Regulators, I have finally met my match.

My 2005 3.30i (150,000 miles) threw a Service Engine Soon light. I ordered PASoft and an adapter and went ahead and pulled the lifetime of codes from the computer. I saved the log file, and went ahead and cleared all errors. I actually cleared the errors a few times because more errors went away each time.

After 3 clearings I was able to get only a few errors to even remain in the system.

---
ABS*
5E16/20 - CAN Timeout Instrument Cluster
5DA3/A0 Wheel speed sensor front right start recognition v comparison
5DA3/A0 Wheel speed sensor front left start recognition v comparison
5DF4/20 - Vehicle Power < 9 Volts

SRS - > Shadow Memory :
50/20 - Power supply, undervoltage.

----

A few notes:

1) I changed a dead and dying batter about 2 months ago with an interstate. It has given me no problems at all.

2) I ran the odbII on-board voltage test... drives at 14.1 rests and 12.5 or 12.6 (which are perfect).

3) When I open the above errors in PASoft they are all yellow boxes labeled.... "error no longer persists".

4) I took out the wheel speed sensors and cleaned them for good measure with MAF cleaner.

5) Every thing on my instrument cluster works perfectly down to the clock knobs and lcd crystals.... including the speedometer.

6) I cleared the errors an extra time in PASoft, and tried to do another reset with the negative terminal.

7) I believe this light may have come on shortly after the ABS kicked in during the rain (a few days), but that may have been a coincidence.

8) The engine actually stalled in gear 2x last week but basically compression started itself back up within a few seconds. This had me thinking fuel pump / delivery until I received my scanner tool.

9) The ABS or SRS lights are not on.

So where does that leave me now?

From what I have read on the forums, these errors above are generally not enough to throw a code. Many people find these errors but no SES light.

My next steps are to do the best inspection I can on the alternator and voltage regulator, but I don't see that being the case now after the ODBII test.

Do I need to go to BMW so they can run additional scans that I cannot? In my 7 years of BMW ownership I have never once been on a BMW service order.... so I guess getting ripped off for 1 hour labor wouldnt be the end of the world. :woot:

Suggestions?

See less See more
#35 · (Edited)
That brings-up an answered question (on many related threads) : what is exactly meant by 'coding' the replacement SRS Module (number of active air bags, etc ?) are all E46 SRS controllers universal in terms what features they can support (?)

Can someone in the know chime with examples or pionters... (?)

Indeed, PA Soft has many impressive capabilities (I managed to reprogram my remote activated windows, arming / disarming features, etc) but I did not see great deal of E46 model-related SRS specificity

#36 ·
Djacs, I got my module on eBay for $47. Take your center console out and check the part number on the module. Be sure to get the same one. There is no coding necessary (nor do i know how to if there was) when you get the right used module. My sedan didn't have rear airbags, so i got a used from an m3, simple fix.

#37 ·
Hmmm. I kept reading here that you had to re-code them. If the SRS equipment config and part number all match sounds like re-coding is not needed. Cool.

I saw a place called myairbags.com or similar that had them by part number for not too much also (70-90).

Thanks, this is encouraging.

#38 ·
I remember looking at that site, but didn't go with them for some reason i can't recall, probably just cheaper elsewhere. I did mine about a year ago. So long as the part number is the same the only reprogramming might be if your car did/didn't have rear airbags. That might be as simple as toggling in pasoft, I seem to remember something about that as well, but not 100%. If you get the right module you'll be set, pull the trigger and forget about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.