E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
E85head

My Ride: E46 M3
Intake, plenum/runner design

As more and more options become available, designs change. Anyone care to explain some theory regarding why plenum and runner design/shape/size vary to the almost unrecognizeable? Here are some of the designs.

At first look i would believe FSR, HPF or Saad to be a simple and good design...

E85head is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
mkodama

You could write a book answering those questions, lol. Just intake trumpet shape by itself is worth a couple page article.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
E85head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
You could write a book answering those questions, lol. Just intake trumpet shape by itself is worth a couple page article.
I have no doubt but general theory, not at a detailed level would be much appreciated. Why would one for example use trumpet design for runners, while others just make a radiused entry from the plenum?
Old 01-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by E85head View Post
I have no doubt but general theory, not at a detailed level would be much appreciated. Why would one for example use trumpet design for runners, while others just make a radiused entry from the plenum?
Well, when it comes to intake and exhaust manifolds, it's all details, and it's a lot of them.

Why would someone use trumpets versus a radiused entry? My guess why they do that is because air comes from not just in front of an opening to an intake runner, but also from the sides and behind the opening. Having a trumpet protruding beyond a wall of the plenum would also avoid possible unexpected or turbulent flow problems from air running into and along the wall. For a welded aluminum intake, it also usually means less welding.

Here is a good article on intake trumpets, but it covers the shape more so than the protruding or flush: http://www.profblairandassociates.co...mouth_Sept.pdf

Old 01-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
Dreikraft

My Ride: slow m3
whoa.. more details on the DOC mani. anyone know the length on those stacks?
Dreikraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #6
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreikraft View Post
whoa.. more details on the DOC mani. anyone know the length on those stacks?
How would that dimension affect anybody?

Old 01-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #7
Dreikraft

My Ride: slow m3
torque. i got a phone book u can borrow.
Dreikraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:40 AM   #9
mkodama

Quote:

Again, since you're avoiding the actual question, how would that dimension affect anybody, even yourself? Do you even know the stock intake runner length on an S54 for comparison?

Old 01-17-2013, 03:33 AM   #10
E85head

Quote:
Well, when it comes to intake and exhaust manifolds, it's all details, and it's a lot of them.

Why would someone use trumpets versus a radiused entry? My guess why they do that is because air comes from not just in front of an opening to an intake runner, but also from the sides and behind the opening. Having a trumpet protruding beyond a wall of the plenum would also avoid possible unexpected or turbulent flow problems from air running into and along the wall. For a welded aluminum intake, it also usually means less welding.

Here is a good article on intake trumpets, but it covers the shape more so than the protruding or flush: http://www.profblairandassociates.co...mouth_Sept.pdf
Thanks! Do you see any drawbacks using trumpets vs radiused entry for boosted applications? Or do you believe that it will provide better performance?
Old 01-17-2013, 04:21 AM   #11
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by E85head View Post
Thanks! Do you see any drawbacks using trumpets vs radiused entry for boosted applications? Or do you believe that it will provide better performance?
I think there are no drawbacks other than cost, space, and complexity. Performance wise I see a benefit, but it will be very small.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #12
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
I think there are no drawbacks other than cost, space, and complexity. Performance wise I see a benefit, but it will be very small.
Until testing and data. We can only assume this will be the results...
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #13
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
For whatever reason, people seem to stop thinking of an engine as an air pump when using FI. In reality, gains in efficiency are multiplied when using FI.

When I look at the manifold designs of say the the new "world motorsport engine" that the FIA wants to use in everything from WTCC to WRC....I see highly evolved runner and plenum designs that one could easily assume were for a N/A engine...but in reality they are a fairly decent pressure ratio FI engine.

Regarding the use of trumpets versus radius'd runners, I think it really comes down to packaging more than anything else. The narrower, or smaller the engine package, the more center'd it can be positioned within the chassis. This can have a more substantial performance gain than having an extra 1% power available. On our I6 BMW engines...we see total runner lengths designed on the 3rd harmonic...which is roughly 14-20" runner length CLA from the valve. You could run a 2nd order manifold...but you'd lose torque under 5000 RPM...not really great for a street car. Adding a trumpet inside the plenum allows the air box to be pushed inwards towards the head (as you see in the S54) If you measure the distance from the cylinder head to the shock tower...you'll see we are kind of stuck within a certain set of parameters.....
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote