E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Irishace
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 47
My Ride: Dakar E36 M3
S54 FI Comparo

I am currently in the process of reviewing all options for a weekend/track car that I will be purchasing in the spring. The e46 M3 is at the top my list. I plan on learning how to drive the car and then adding power if in fact I go down this path.

Because it is fun to theorcraft about power potential, I have been doing a ton of research on FI options for this car. I have put together a rough comparo of the 3 leading options (these are current options, this will change when the MAX PSI kit comes out).

Some things to note about the graph I have put together:
  • The HPF information was taken from their website, (their new 6766 options has proven to produce more power)
  • The AA information was taken their website
  • The ESS graph was derived from information posted on this forum recently

Cost Info (taken from websites)

HPF Stage II: $15,500
AA Gen 7 Stage II: $11,995
ESS: $8,495 (this is the 550 kit cost but ESS has stated that the 575 kit is no different, just tuning)

Graph


You can draw your own conclusions here but HPF clearly has the advantage on power but that comes at a premium. The best value here appears to be the ESS kit but again that is assuming the 575 kit does not come at a premium over the 550 kit. I am anxiously awaiting to see information from MAX-PSI on pricing and power results with improved tuning or perhaps pump + meth.

A major decision point for me will also be proximity of support. The compexities of the HPF kit over SC options scares me a little. I live in Toronto, have a trusted BMW master mechanic I go to but I fear that if I go the HPF route I will have to ship the car for install and potentially ship it again if any major problems arise.

At any rate, this is fun times for me as I am in the cognitive phases with respect to this platform. I still have not decided if I am going to get an S54 as I am also looking at getting back into an N54 or perhaps looking at an S65.

Would appreciate anyone's feedback and experience.
__________________
Dakar Yellow
1998 E36 M3

Last edited by Irishace; 01-09-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Irishace is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
E85head
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Car
Posts: 177
My Ride: E46 M3
Edit. Did not read your post well enough. Sorry

Last edited by E85head; 01-09-2013 at 04:21 PM.
E85head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
dallasberry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,161
My Ride: ///M3
I don't think you'll have as much fun in the M5(s65) around the track as compared to a 335/135i(N54) or an M3(S54), It's bulky and not quite as nimble as a smaller three series. My honest feeling if you want to build it up and add more power is go with an E46 M3. You can't beat the price to get into it and there is a plethora of options for power adders for it. Another point to add here is that the M3 is a born track car, it was made for the twisties right out of the box.. I think the N54 is still limited for power adder options (big horsepower) but would still be a formidable track car. It would still need a little TLC though. When I drove one I felt like it was made for comfort more than performance. All of the aftermarket companies have excellent customer service and will take care of you if you have any issues.



So in conclusion if you want a purpose weekend/track car, go M3. You won't be disappointed.
__________________
Custom Turbo Build By Lab22

815whp @ 625wtq 27psi E98


Last edited by dallasberry; 01-09-2013 at 07:14 PM.
dallasberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Commanderwiggin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 3,834
My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
In my opinion wait to see what some of the other companies like FSR and MaxPSI come out with shortly
__________________
Commanderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
Irishace
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 47
My Ride: Dakar E36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
In my opinion wait to see what some of the other companies like FSR and MaxPSI come out with shortly
Sage advice, its still early for me as I will be making my decision in late spring so there is likely to be more movement on the platform(s) by then.
__________________
Dakar Yellow
1998 E36 M3
Irishace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
Tchleung
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 624
My Ride: 02 M3
VT2-575 actually comes with 1 size smaller pulley. Which is why the 575 runs more boost than the 550. Boost and tune is changed to accomplish.
__________________
Follow me on Instagram @tommtomm84

00 Jet Black 323i 5MT - Fuel Saver

02 Carbon Black M3 6MT - Fun Car
456whp/312wtq @ 8psi, No #'s yet at 9psi
4.10 / Headers / ESS VT2-550+

Tchleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:25 AM   #7
SPDu4ea
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,118
My Ride: .
If by track you mean road course, consider that the HPF kit was not meant to supply meth under those conditions (sustained WOT & high lateral g's) so you should plan on stage 1 power. Area under the curve may still be better, but the SC kits will probably make more peak power (on pump that is; buy 110 leaded and flip the race gas switch & hpf completely dominates).

The maxpsi kit looks to make comparable peak power to the SC kits, being based on higher octane pump fuel (92-93 vs 91) & using DME tuning that can adapt somewhat to fuel quality.

If you can get E85, hpf also offers an ethanol tune for the stage 1 which actually makes more power than the stage 2, but isn't "flex fuel" so you'll need to have a consistent/reliable supply of E85

Last edited by SPDu4ea; 01-10-2013 at 04:26 AM.
SPDu4ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
Dreikraft
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Alaska :(
Posts: 692
My Ride: slow m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasberry View Post
I don't think you'll have as much fun in the M5(s65) around the track as compared to a 335/135i(N54) or an M3(S54)
s65 is the e92.
OP - try and get a ride in some of these FI bmws if you can, it will give you a better idea of what kind of powerband you want.
Dreikraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor
 
Viral@ActiveAutowerke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 1,154
My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishace View Post
I am currently in the process of reviewing all options for a weekend/track car that I will be purchasing in the spring. The e46 M3 is at the top my list. I plan on learning how to drive the car and then adding power if in fact I go down this path.

Because it is fun to theorcraft about power potential, I have been doing a ton of research on FI options for this car. I have put together a rough comparo of the 3 leading options (these are current options, this will change when the MAX PSI kit comes out).

Some things to note about the graph I have put together:
  • The HPF information was taken from their website, (their new 6766 options has proven to produce more power)
  • The AA information was taken their website
  • The ESS graph was derived from information posted on this forum recently

Cost Info (taken from websites)

HPF Stage II: $15,500
AA Gen 7 Stage II: $11,995
ESS: $8,495 (this is the 550 kit cost but ESS has stated that the 575 kit is no different, just tuning)

Graph


You can draw your own conclusions here but HPF clearly has the advantage on power but that comes at a premium. The best value here appears to be the ESS kit but again that is assuming the 575 kit does not come at a premium over the 550 kit. I am anxiously awaiting to see information from MAX-PSI on pricing and power results with improved tuning or perhaps pump + meth.

A major decision point for me will also be proximity of support. The compexities of the HPF kit over SC options scares me a little. I live in Toronto, have a trusted BMW master mechanic I go to but I fear that if I go the HPF route I will have to ship the car for install and potentially ship it again if any major problems arise.

At any rate, this is fun times for me as I am in the cognitive phases with respect to this platform. I still have not decided if I am going to get an S54 as I am also looking at getting back into an N54 or perhaps looking at an S65.

Would appreciate anyone's feedback and experience.
Thanks for posting this graph but there is a lot of variables to these systems leading to these results provided above. Below I have posted a graph of our Active Autowerke Stage 1 vs Stage 2 Comparison to display the power potential with our HKS GTS 8550 System.



To the OP I recently sold my 135i (N54) and I am going back to the E46 and most likely with a S54, good luck with your search and looking forward to your project.
__________________
Viral Vahia
Active Autowerke | 9940 SW 168 Terrace Miami, Florida 33157
www.activeautowerke.com | viral@activeautowerke.com
Phone: 305.233.9300 Ext. 232 | Fax: 305-253-8921

Last edited by Viral@ActiveAutowerke; 01-10-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Viral@ActiveAutowerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
secono330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ>>>>FL
Posts: 2,948
My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
Link not working viral
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
Viral@ActiveAutowerke
Sponsor
 
Viral@ActiveAutowerke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 1,154
My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by secono330ci View Post
Link not working viral
Try this... http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8326/8...cbd93608_b.jpg

__________________
Viral Vahia
Active Autowerke | 9940 SW 168 Terrace Miami, Florida 33157
www.activeautowerke.com | viral@activeautowerke.com
Phone: 305.233.9300 Ext. 232 | Fax: 305-253-8921
Viral@ActiveAutowerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
secono330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ>>>>FL
Posts: 2,948
My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral@ActiveAutowerke View Post
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:42 PM   #13
dallasberry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,161
My Ride: ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreikraft View Post
s65 is the e92.
OP - try and get a ride in some of these FI bmws if you can, it will give you a better idea of what kind of powerband you want.
Thanks for making me look dumb BEN. Wait.... did I make myself look dumb.. well ****.

Not sure what I was thinking.
__________________
Custom Turbo Build By Lab22

815whp @ 625wtq 27psi E98

dallasberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:56 AM   #14
MarcusLSB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,363
My Ride: BMW's
You can't beat the simplicity of a S/C setup.. but some of the fastest (non sanctioned) E46 m3's on the track are stage 1 turbo cars. My personal ideal setup for track use would be a 6766 on E85 (or flex fuel). Honestly I think Kenton's right though, come a few months there may be more options available. I'm really liking what I'm seeing from MaxPSI. One of the biggest benefits to a Saad or HPF style standalone/piggyback kit is that sure.. the entry may be higher but the sky's the limit on adding more power down the road should you want it.
__________________


youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:52 AM   #15
Irishace
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 47
My Ride: Dakar E36 M3
I really like the MAX-PSI power curve. It has also proven to be a pretty darn good power maker on race gas. I really am following along closely. As for HPF, it would be awesome but the price tag, installation and ongoing expenses just scare the daylights out of me.
__________________
Dakar Yellow
1998 E36 M3
Irishace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #16
Irishace
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 47
My Ride: Dakar E36 M3
Attached is a graph that includes the MAX-PSI turbo race gas power curve against some other platforms along with the superhcharged S54.

__________________
Dakar Yellow
1998 E36 M3
Irishace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #17
MachRc
E46Fanatic
 
MachRc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 6,475
My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
Thanks for making the cool comparo chart!
__________________

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to priase you like I should.."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #18
MarcusLSB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 4,363
My Ride: BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishace View Post
I really like the MAX-PSI power curve. It has also proven to be a pretty darn good power maker on race gas. I really am following along closely. As for HPF, it would be awesome but the price tag, installation and ongoing expenses just scare the daylights out of me.
With any build it can be a roll of the dice.. some of which is just sheer luck. I know of quite a few HPF Stage 1-2.5 owners that have had little to no problems.. I also know of some that have.. including myself. I think that goes for any kit, regardless of just the power..
__________________


youtube.com/marcuslsb -- Check out photography by Gheybe!

New Build by Lab22

MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:24 AM   #19
7to3_enthusiast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 266
My Ride: '04 LSB 6spd M3
I can't speak for everyone, but I'm ready to see some real world kit vs kit action whether it be on the track or street. A MaxPSI vs say HPF stage 1 (w/meth?) would be interesting for instance. I know that can be a touchy subject but it would help make a decision with the associated prices. My 2 cents.
__________________


04 LSB M3
6sp, BSW stage 1, 19" Forgestar, PSS's, MXP exhaust, K&n intake, h&r springs, koni shocks.
87 rx7 tII 6266 BB .84 a/r in the works
00 Saturn sc2, DD, 36+ mpg

Last edited by 7to3_enthusiast; 01-12-2013 at 04:27 AM.
7to3_enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:30 AM   #20
7to3_enthusiast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 266
My Ride: '04 LSB 6spd M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishace View Post
Attached is a graph that includes the MAX-PSI turbo race gas power curve against some other platforms along with the superhcharged S54.

...and I've asked this before, but why in the world is that N54 making ~100+rwhp than the s54 at 4000 rpms and up? Yes, I'm hatin.
__________________


04 LSB M3
6sp, BSW stage 1, 19" Forgestar, PSS's, MXP exhaust, K&n intake, h&r springs, koni shocks.
87 rx7 tII 6266 BB .84 a/r in the works
00 Saturn sc2, DD, 36+ mpg
7to3_enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use