E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
kaym3

My Ride: m3 e46
M3 E46 poor acceleration

Hi everybody I have a 2002 m3 which is giving me a bit of trouble when trying to accelerate quickly. When I want to accelerate hard it will rev out in what ever gear I am in but when it changes in to the next gear it dies and hovers around 4 or 5000 rpm until you take your foot off the throttle and then it will drive as normal. The car drives as normal with any other throttle setting and only happens when you throttle down hard. It does it in any gear changing mode, all gears work and it has recently had a new smg box fitted to try to solve the problem. The original problem arose by shifting through three or four gears before it died then slowly got worse. The car use to be okay. Any surgestions will be appreciated as bmw have been dissapointing to say the least
kaym3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
JTripper
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325ci
Seafoam that biatch!!!

Ride or DIE! #BavarianBeast #Gertrude is her name.
Fav car quote: "Maintenance before Mods"!

Trying to do this MOD asaphttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj-_o...rT_5bRlRc6GfPA

My lil Beast http://youtu.be/DT6FzACDskM
JTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
DesiredM

My Ride: E46 M3
Try turning your dsc off
DesiredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
bobm3
Senior Eurowerkz Member

My Ride: 2003m3smg
i think your motor is going into limp mode

car wont go past the 4 to 5,000 rpm.. you should go have your car look at for a tune.. it is not a big problem.....
bob
Old 11-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Any lights on the dash?
Old 11-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #6
kaym3

I get the cog light on sometimes when it wont rev out, the dsc makes no difference. Is there an ecu connected to the hydrauliic pump on the smg?
Old 11-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaym3 View Post
I get the cog light on sometimes when it wont rev out, the dsc makes no difference. Is there an ecu connected to the hydrauliic pump on the smg?
Yes there is. Ok you really need to get someone to read the codes for the SMG Cog light. Do that and report back.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
kaym3

There are no codes at the moment as they were erased by bmw but my cousin had a code reader on it last time it played up before taking it in to bmw and there were two codes on it one was none selection of gear or something very similar to that wording which was obvious but the other one said hydraulic duty cycle incomplete?
Old 11-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
roadtrip1098

My Ride: 04 M3 SMG LSB
Low battery and or compression springs. Two cheap items that are very likely to cause similar issues. Also if you've been doing high rpm racing type shifting you may have cooked a synchro in the tranny. That would also cause a non-selection until the RPMS matched. Other items that can cause this would be a sticky pilot bearing or debris inside the clutch.
I can go into detail if you'd like. PM me.
roadtrip1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
roadtrip1098

My Ride: 04 M3 SMG LSB
Should also note that a faulty salmon relay can also cause the duty cycle incomplete, but most likely it's a battery issue.
roadtrip1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
hoonpv

My Ride: Ford Falcon
Looks like your pump is on its last legs. $$$$$$$ bend over bro!
Old 11-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #12
Forcfed93

My Ride: 2002 M3
Sounds like a compression spring. Does it skip the gear after being unable to select it?

You'll probably get a code saying "gear not selectable".

The spring is kind of a PITA to replace (I did it in mine), but it costs less than $5.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #13
screamer-beemer531

My Ride: BMW M3 E46 6spd PY
God I hate when these kind of issues pop up and it could be anything out of hundreds. I hate it more when it doesn't give you codes. I too say check the compression spring and keep us posted.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #14
kaym3

Thanks guys but I already have a new salmon relay and battery on, unfortunately to no avail. Generally the car will select the next gear but fail to rev above 4 or 5000 but occasionally it will miss a gear but will still not rev out unless i take my foot off the accelerator and then drive normaly. Are these compression springs hard to change? I have also read on the forum that the gear selection sensor can be a problem? Any advice on where to start first and any video or pictures on how to do it would be great,cheers guys.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #15
Forcfed93

I'm near certain it's the compression springs. The GPS will show a pattern in the way that it skips gears, like go from 2-5 or something like that.

Turn the setting on your shift down to 2, drive normally, shift at low RPM. I bet it shifts just fine. As soon as you put your foot into it, or turn up the setting and shift at higher RPM, it will just flash the next gear until you let off. Once you let off and it selects, then you're fine until you shift again.

If that's what it's doing, it's your compression spring. It's not easy to change, but it's definitely doable.

This is the part number of the spring that was broken on mine: 23311228397. Look here for how it goes together: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...56&hg=23&fg=15

Also, as for changing it yourself, look at this DIY: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=396595

Make note of the observations I posted at the end. The original author added a lot of unnecessary steps, mostly in the engine bay. Really, you just have to loosen the fan shroud, unhook the air box, remove all of the shields and crossmembers down below. Remove exhaust, drop the transmission crossmember and lower it in the rear until you can reach the plug. It won't be easy to remove.

FYI, the spring only costs a few bucks.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #16
kaym3

It shows two springs in the diagram did you only change the one and can you tell me how it comes out or is held in as I can't quite make the diagram out, thanks
Old 12-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #17
Forcfed93

It's held in with a steel plug. You just pry it out then push the plug back in after you change the spring. One tip, if the spring is broken in many pieces and doesn't come out on it's own, slide a wood screw in there and the threads will catch the spring and you can draw it out.

Just put the new spring in the roller housing and press the plug back in, then put it all back together.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #18
kaym3

Thanks guys for all the advice please keep it coming if you have any more. I,m going to replace the gear change sensor and compression springs as soon as and I will let you know.

Last edited by kaym3; 12-08-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #19
Forcfed93

Have you had a chance to get this resolved? I'd like to know what the outcome was.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #20
kaym3

Hi, I am awaiting the parts from bmw and access to a lift as i don't fancy doing it on my back with ramps. I will let you know when I have done it and the outcome, cheers.