E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

View Poll Results: que?
<10% could do it 21 23.33%
10 - 50 % 24 26.67%
would def need to be greater than 50 % 36 40.00%
JONJON > 9 10.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #81
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post

It's pointless to contribute here as this is but an internet forum and opinions will be opinions at the end of the day. Rather it's more enjoyable to recognize the inaccuracies and flaws in arguments here.
Your opinion carries little weight then. But it's OK. I don't even need you to reply to my posts. There's plenty of material here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
The large majority of this country does not want any sort of ban.
Quote:
So just because you think a majority is right everyone else should fall in line? It's a matter of opinion here and you have yours and others have theirs.
You know what, you're right!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #82
kaput

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
Send a message via AIM to kaput
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
We should take up weapons against Wendy's and Chick-Fil-A?
When did I say that? All I said was your version of fighting for rights and what you feel is wrong in the world, does not work. Both of those businesses are still kicking strong, same with papa john's. You boycott, they don't care.

Granted, the issue was not really that big of a deal, well, to you it was. But issues that are as large as say, repealing or over riding the second amendment, will not be met with a boycott, nor would it be effective.

2002 M3
kaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #83
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
You know what, you're right!
We don't live in a democracy Busa.

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #84
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaput View Post
When did I say that? All I said was your version of fighting for rights and what you feel is wrong in the world, does not work. Both of those businesses are still kicking strong, same with papa john's. You boycott, they don't care.
Right, because the intent of the boycott was to ruin two fast food giants beyond repair. Come on.

Quote:
Granted, the issue was not really that big of a deal, well, to you it was. But issues that are as large as say, repealing or over riding the second amendment, will not be met with a boycott, nor would it be effective.
And yet, no such thing appears to be anywhere near likely.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #85
'busa

Quote:
We don't live in a democracy Busa.
Tell it to bimmerfan!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #86
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
If 3% of the country is so opposed to the direction that 51% of the country want the country to go in that they're willing to take up arms, they need to reevaluate their values and priorities.
They could get on a boat and go to some far off land, oppress the savages that live there, and found a new country based on their own ideals. Unfortunately, every place is taken these days, lol. All the Plymouth Rocks have been claimed. And a superpower-backed nation creation (a la Israel) is unlikely to happen again.

However, your point is well taken that there's an established legal process for enacting and/or resisting change in this country. There are even tolerable forms of trying to influence that process, obedient and otherwise. One would hope that the unhappy folks would avail themselves of those avenues before choosing armed conflict as a course of action.

Quote:
So just because you think a majority is right everyone else should fall in line? It's a matter of opinion here and you have yours and others have theirs.

As I always say, who the fvck am I to tell someone what they can't and can do. It's not my place so long as my personal life is not being harmed. Grow a pair and stop being sucked into pussified America.
You're completely missing the point.

Most of those that wish to limit guns agree with you as far as not telling others what they can and can't do. The difference is they see guns as "harming their personal lives", therefore they consider it their place to try to limit access to them, just as you would if you saw them that way.

Wherever anyone falls on the spectrum of this debate, treating everyone that disagrees with your POV as someone with broken values is counterproductive. Some people that want increased limits on guns are genuinely frightened for their own safety and that of their families. They are very pro-freedom and pro-rights and patriotic, but because of their fear, they consider limiting guns to be a net good for society. If you attack those people based on their patriotism or accuse them of failing to support freedom, you're never going to get anywhere with them. They believe they're increasing freedom because they're protecting their right to walk down the street without getting shot.

There are other people who have different motivations, values and intentions. Career politicians are pandering for media exposure, campaign contributions and votes. LEOs are trying to figure out how to get in fewer shootouts. Media people are trying to get ratings and sell advertising. Gun industry peeps are trying to not lose their income stream. Some criminals want guns limited so they'll have fewer armed victims to deal with, some criminals don't want guns limited because they're afraid fewer guns in circulation will make it harder to obtain one to use in crimes. Each of these groups have to be dealt with differently in order to influence them.

Throwing the "freedoms and rights" argument at someone that is afarid for their own (or their family's) safety isn't going to accomplish anything.

Even JJ, who is a Class 1, 5-star, brand-name nutjob, has stated clearly that if his daughter (Mini JJ?) was threatened, all other considerations can GTFO. If JJ is protecting his kid, don't expect him to expend a lot of thought worrying about your "freedoms and rights".

When you want to influence someone's judgement, attacking their motivations or values is inefficient. The opposite is true, as well.

Yes
----------------------------------------------

Last edited by Xcelratr; 01-10-2013 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Typo
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #87
kaput

Quote:
And yet, no such thing appears to be anywhere near likely.
http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/publ...ssault-weapons

Yea, it's not intended to ban weapons and override the second amendment...

Not at all...

2002 M3
Old 01-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #88
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
Tell it to bimmerfan!
I'm sure he means the same as me. The voices are not being heard by our elected officials.
Those that work for us are following their own agendas.

They need to understand that they work for US, not their children, not their wives and not their own opinions:

Like this piece of sh!t
http://articles.philly.com/2012-12-2...ontrol-casey/3

Quote:
Over the weekend, his wife of nearly 30 years, Terese, challenged him on the issue and urged him to support new gun laws, Casey said.
"She confronted me several times," he said. "She was very direct and persistent."

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 01-10-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #89
kaput

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
They could get on a boat and go to some far off land, oppress the savages that live there, and found a new country based on their own ideals. Unfortunately, every place is taken these days, lol. All the Plymouth Rocks have been claimed. And a superpower-backed nation creation (a la Israel) is unlikely to happen again.

However, your point is well taken that there's an established legal process for enacting and/or resisting change in this country. There are even tolerable forms of trying to influence that process, obedient and otherwise. One would hope that the unhappy folks would avail themselves of those avenues before choosing armed conflict as a course of action.

You're completely missing the point.

Most of those that wish to limit guns agree with you as far as not telling others what they can and can't do. The difference is they see guns as "harming their personal lives", therefore they consider it their place to try to limit access to them, just as you would if you saw them that way.

Wherever anyone falls on the spectrum of this debate, treating everyone that disagrees with your POV as someone with broken values is counterproductive. Some people that want increased limits on guns are genuinely frightened for their own safety and that of their families. They are very pro-freedom and pro-rights and patriotic, but because of their fear, they consider limiting guns to be a net good for society. If you attack those peope based on their patriotism or accuse them of failing to support freedom, you're never going to get anywhere with them. They believe they're increasing freedom because they're protecting their right to walk down the street without getting shot.

There are other people who have different motivations, values and intentions. Career politicians are pandering for media exposure, campaign contributions and votes. LEOs are trying to figure out how to get in fewer shootouts. Media people are trying to get ratings and sell advertising. Gun industry peeps are trying to not lose their income stream. Some criminals want guns limited so they'll have fewer armed victims to deal with, some criminals don't want guns limited because they're afraid fewer guns in circulation will make it harder to obtain one to use in crimes. Each of these groups have to be dealt with differently in order to influence them.

Throwing the "freedoms and rights" argument at someone that is afarid for their own (or their family's) safety isn't going to accomplish anything.

Even JJ, who is a Class 1, 5-star, brand-name nutjob, has stated clearly that if his daughter (Mini JJ?) was threatened, all other considerations can GTFO. If JJ is protecting his kid, don't expect him to expend a lot of thought worrying about your "freedoms and rights".

When you want to influence someone's judgement, attacking their motivations or values is inefficient. The opposite is true, as well.
And the ignorance of those opposing firearms, making them the bad guy is the real issue. I personally wish that we did not jump to this debate so quickly, but I knew it would happen.

Taking "freedoms and rights" away from those that are not scared isn't going to accomplish anything.

2002 M3
Old 01-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #90
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:

Not at all...
Feinstein has been against projectile weapons since the creation of the slingshot. Because one Senator, who has always been against guns, proposes something doesn't mean it will come to fruition. Have you read the proposals? Banning flash suppressors, thumbhole stocks, and requiring photographing and fingerprinting. This thing is DOA.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:41 AM   #91
'busa

Quote:

Not at all...
Two things.

1. How likely is it to pass?
  2. Do you think ANY restrictions should be made on what civilians are allowed to possess? Anti-aircraft missiles ok? Are we not allowed to have a discussion about what should be allowed?

Quote:
Of course they will, but this bravado about taking up arms is kind of funny.

Quote:
Wherever anyone falls on the spectrum of this debate, treating everyone that disagrees with your POV as someone with broken values is counterproductive. Some people that want increased limits on guns are genuinely frightened for their own safety and that of their families. They are very pro-freedom and pro-rights and patriotic, but because of their fear, they consider limiting guns to be a net good for society. If you attack those peope based on their patriotism or accuse them of failing to support freedom, you're never going to get anywhere with them. They believe they're increasing freedom because they're protecting their right to walk down the street without getting shot.

Quote:

Quote:
and true.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #92
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Have you read the proposals? Banning flash suppressors, thumbhole stocks, and requiring photographing and fingerprinting. This thing is DOA.
Where you born after 1994?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal...lt_Weapons_Ban

Didn't you know? Barrel Shrouds and Flash Suppressors will enable guns to kill you twice while consuming your soul

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 01-10-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #93
'busa

Quote:
What makes this person a piece of sh!t?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #94
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Did you not pay attention to the political lessons learned?
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:46 AM   #95
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
What makes this person a piece of sh!t?
Take your pick... flip flopping on the promises he made to us voters to get into office.
Ignoring his constituents stern stances while listening to his wife, thinking about his own children (which are surrounded by armed guards), not being educated on the matter before forming an opinion...

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 01-10-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #96
'busa

Quote:
Take your pick... flip flopping on the promises he made to us voters to get into office.
Ignoring his constituents stern stances while listening to his wife, thinking about his own children (which are surrounded by armed guards), not being educated on the matter before forming an opinion...
Is a person a piece of sh!t when he changes his mind to agree with you, too?
Has there been a proper poll of his constituents?
He's a piece of sh!t for letting his life partner have an influence on him?
Thinking about his own children makes him a piece of sh!t?
People who are inadequately educated (according to subjective criteria) are pieces of sh!t?

Or is he just a piece of sh!t because he did something you don't like in a field about which you feel emotional about and tend to make general statements and have kneejerk reactions?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #97
casino is no lie

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Is a person a piece of sh!t when he changes his mind to agree with you, too?
You mean like Gitmo? No... then we have to hear them bitch about how he broke his promises even though it's in alignment with their beliefs.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #98
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
You mean like Gitmo? No... then we have to hear them bitch about how he broke his promises even though it's in alignment with their beliefs.

"He's going to close Gitmo.....what an outrage!!!"

"He didn't close Gitmo......I am, again, outraged!!"

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 01-10-2013 at 11:02 AM.
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #99
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
Is a person a piece of sh!t when he changes his mind to agree with you, too? Not me specifically
Has there been a proper poll of his constituents? Yes
He's a piece of sh!t for letting his life partner have an influence on him? When it overrides his constituents, yes
Thinking about his own children makes him a piece of sh!t? When a hypocrite, yes
People who are inadequately educated (according to subjective criteria) are pieces of sh!t? Yes. He thinks the 2nd A protects hunting
.... I like pink

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 01-10-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #100
Raymond42262

My Ride: Is German
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Feinstein has been against projectile weapons since the creation of the slingshot. Because one Senator, who has always been against guns, proposes something doesn't mean it will come to fruition. Have you read the proposals? Banning flash suppressors, thumbhole stocks, and requiring photographing and fingerprinting. This thing is DOA.
But she has a concealed weapons permit........she carries a revolver in her purse according to the radio this morning.

And she has police protection and bullet resistant chauffeured limousines in Washington and probably has a police detail watching her home in California.