E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #21
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
I can't stand people like you- if you want to go skiing buy winter tires. You clog up access roads to ski areas trying to make it up with all-season or summer tires, then have to pull over to put on chains causing more of a backup. I really do despise people like you that have cost me many hours of skiing.

Nokian Hakkapeliittas or stay home.
Gaiz. He so mad right now. So mad. MAD.
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #22
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb328i View Post
WDE46---I would not be caught in ANY snow with SUMMER tires. At minimum have all season. Not sure how much snow you see in Auburn Alabama, a nice city, but driving in snow with Summer tires is a disaster and accident going to happen. For me, I want snow tires ANYTIME snow is on the ground.
Living in Los Angeles, having snow tires to go skiing/snowboarding in unreasonable, we drive up there 3-4 times a a year and when there is chain control, they are required regardless if you have snow tires or not.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #23
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
WDE46,eneka
I must agree with you. I was thinking of drivers like myself who live in a climate where 4 months a year there is a potential for snow fall on any day, normally between 1 inch and 6 inches (or more). I have been in situations where I have been 50 miles from home and it started snowing, the E46 is difficult to control without proper tires, and definitely is not controllable with Summer tires in the snow. If I lived in LA or Auburn --I would not have snow tires. No reason to fear that you would come out of work and find 5 inches of snow covering your car.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #24
Lobstrosity

My Ride: 2003 325xi Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
Thanks for the comments. Well as I mentioned in the first post, this setup is by far the proper one for winter driving. We have 8 months of pure summer and 3-4 months of winter and it snows on mountains only.
It seems like most people on here don't quite understand that you're in Cyprus! Great review, looks like a great backup option for small amounts of cold winter weather conditions.
Lobstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #25
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Yeah you're not getting what I'm saying. In the middle/lower latitudes of the USA it rarely snows enough to stick to the road. Buying snow tires is a waste of money. You basically just don't even drive around these states with any snow on the road. The place shuts down. The chains would be nice to have IN CASE you need to go somewhere, or your car is stuck because you left it somewhere.
So buying these at retail price ($500) isn't a waste of money. But getting a nice used set of wheels with snows on them for like $600 is. Mmhmm okay.

Nice review but chains are for when snow tires don't cut it.

Last edited by peytonracer4; 01-10-2013 at 07:54 PM.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #26
adaseb

My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
Around here people usually buy snow chains to put on their winter tires.
adaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #27
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #28
SD 328I

My Ride: S197, E90, and 1125R
I've occasionally had to use cables when driving up to my local mountains to snowboard. They sell low profile cables that are really easy to install, far less complicated than these chains.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #29
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
I can't stand people like you- if you want to go skiing buy winter tires. You clog up access roads to ski areas trying to make it up with all-season or summer tires, then have to pull over to put on chains causing more of a backup. I really do despise people like you that have cost me many hours of skiing.

Nokian Hakkapeliittas or stay home.
You clearly have issues/leftover feelings with someone which apparently couldn't talk like that on the road when he was in front of you, blocking your route to the skiing heaven so you choose to rant on a person 8000 miles away from you that is describing weather conditions/situations quite different and completely out of your scope.

You go and buy winter tires for the 200m patch of road for the 2 or 3 weekends a year that you might go for some TASK (i will not say ski, just in case you get more mad). As I said to the previous posts which you obviously haven't read, what I wanted to show is an option for emergency use.

Zoom out the map link I posted, then google the country I live then read again the whole thread and come back and let me know if I need snow tires. otherwise, leave my thread, your posts do not contribute in anything.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:48 PM   #30
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Snow is a great debate... Everyone assumes its just snow..

Search and rescue drags countless people out of the Pacific North West forests, quite often experience mountaineers, but they have not experienced PNW Concrete, they are usually from the Mid west or the Rockies out here rubber tires are pretty much worthless a lot of the time, its all wheel drive (with grabby tires) or chains and if you don't use them the nice trooper at the top of the hill will hand you a ticket for about 450 bucks, if you get in a wreck without chains in your car in a snow zone its reckless for 750 + the 450 for the lack of chains on the car... We have highways where failure to carry chains is a violation. So the high tech wunder rubber ain't gonna get it done...

Cheers
Dave
dwtaylorpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #31
E46er75

My Ride: 323i Vert, 330xi
I have lived in New England my whole life and have yet to see the need for chains. Matter of fact I have yet to see anyone with snow chains. But hey, whatever...
E46er75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:59 PM   #32
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46er75 View Post
I have lived in New England my whole life and have yet to see the need for chains. Matter of fact I have yet to see anyone with snow chains. But hey, whatever...
I'm not really sure what the guy above you was trying to say, but there are places out west that have roads that legally require chains to be on. It's sometimes tough to get through a mountain pass without them. Granted anyone doing it probably wouldn't be doing it in a bmw sedan. And if they were would start with snow tires.
Everyone is fighting in this thread for different reasons. This is a good review and these seem like a great option for cars like ours. However it's nonsensical to put them on summer tires when you can buy snow tires for the same price.
IMO these would be a great addition to snow tires if conditions warrant more grip needed.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:56 AM   #33
paraklas

^correct, price does become an issue. 4 winter tires to import them plus the alloy would be over $2500, not forgetting that rubber does expire. We had 10 years of dry season without a drop of rain. These chains can be found for $200 if patient and looking for off-season offers. I am not debating that my setup is better than winter tires, or winter tires + snow chains, or AWD, I also understand that each country has their own set of regulations.

The purpose of this thread was to show that there is a solution for snow chains on the E46 even if it's lowered with staggered wheels etc. If I had winter tires the review would be with them of course as the concept, even the chain model is exactly the same.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:01 AM   #34
E46er75

Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
I'm not really sure what the guy above you was trying to say, but there are places out west that have roads that legally require chains to be on. It's sometimes tough to get through a mountain pass without them. Granted anyone doing it probably wouldn't be doing it in a bmw sedan. And if they were would start with snow tires.
Everyone is fighting in this thread for different reasons. This is a good review and these seem like a great option for cars like ours. However it's nonsensical to put them on summer tires when you can buy snow tires for the same price.
IMO these would be a great addition to snow tires if conditions warrant more grip needed.
This guy is trying to say if you need chains to drive in your area, maybe a rwd BMW is far from the choice of vehicles you should be driving. Also, what this guy is saying you that even if your climbing mount Washington in the dead of winter you don't need chains, you need a different car.

Maybe the reason for the thrashing of this thread is because that driving up a snow filled hill to get to your favorite ski area in a rwd BMW is just moronic... I agree to get stuck behind a person with this mentally is frustrating. Think about it
Old 01-11-2013, 01:03 AM   #35
E46er75

Lowered,staggered and etc. doesn't belong on a snow filled road. PERIOD
Old 01-11-2013, 01:51 AM   #36
paraklas

Quote:
This guy is trying to say if you need chains to drive in your area, maybe a rwd BMW is far from the choice of vehicles you should be driving. Also, what this guy is saying you that even if your climbing mount Washington in the dead of winter you don't need chains, you need a different car.

Maybe the reason for the thrashing of this thread is because that driving up a snow filled hill to get to your favorite ski area in a rwd BMW is just moronic... I agree to get stuck behind a person with this mentally is frustrating. Think about it
Quote:
Lowered,staggered and etc. doesn't belong on a snow filled road. PERIOD
both correct. Would anyone invest in an AWD vehicle/snow tires&alloys when it snows once a year? Over here it may take 5 years again to snow enough to make roads inaccessible. And when that happens, nobody with my setup will drive over there on purpose. Thankfully I have friends that can take me with suitable vehicles (like the one in the last picture).

I am writing about an emergency situation, nothing more, quit debating or thrashing this thread with "go buy snow tires or bought wrong vehicle". I am not supporting summer tires on snow FFS, I am demonstrating a model of SNOW CHAINS sorry I didn't buy snow tires to make the snow chain review better!!
Old 01-11-2013, 02:26 AM   #37
fraser19

My Ride: 2004 330CI M sport.
Quote:

I put 20 000 km on my 330ci last year going through the mountains on the Trans-Canada Highway. Most of it going to sunshine village and Kicking Horse ski resorts. I had no problems all I had was a very medium set of snow tires.

Chains, Snow tires summer tires. It really does not matter as long as you know what will be ahead of you on the road.

I liked the review on these chains. I just bought a truck because I am not driving my car in the winter any more. We don't have snow removal in the city I moved to and the humps are higher than my car is tall but a product like this with my lifestyle could have been very useful.

I spend a lot of time in the mountains and having gear on hand is real important. Recovery straps, Shackles good tires. I've never used any of it, actually I have found the guys who carry the gear only use it to pull others out rarely themselves.
fraser19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:31 AM   #38
jayb328i

My Ride: E46 2000 328i
Sill questioning the controllability of chains mounted on rear of E46 over Summer Tires and the front tires are Summer Tires that have little traction on snow. Back probably is good, and front is sliding off the road as the back pushes.
jayb328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #39
Driver08

My Ride: '88 325is, '04 ZHP
Thanks for the good review. I'm a pretty avid skier and snowboarder and I can say there are plenty of instances when chains are good (and at times required) to have weather you have dedicated snow tires or not. If it's dumping in Telluride for example you are not going to get there without chains regardless of vehicle and/or tire choice. Also, depending on where someone lives it's easier to get "caught out" than some might realize.
Driver08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #40
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
So buying these at retail price ($500) isn't a waste of money. But getting a nice used set of wheels with snows on them for like $600 is. Mmhmm okay.

Nice review but chains are for when snow tires don't cut it.
No it's not a waste. Can you fit 4 snow tires in your trunk for the winter and take them on and off anywhere? Do you want to store snow tires in your garage for 10 months out of the year? There is a convenience fee in there. It is an emergency item (at least for people in the mid-latitudes of the US).

Chains can be for when you don't have snow tires and need to get somewhere. My parents used to keep them in their cars in Nashville during the winter. Winters would rarely have much snow but sometimes it would rain in the day and go to 15F at night. That requires chains to go anywhere. Nobody in Nashville buys snow tires. If you asked for them at the tire shop, they'd look at you like you're retarded. Then they'd sell you some chains and A/S tires. Most of the time you would only need them to reach a salted road, then you can take them off there. We lived on a very steep hill that only my Jeep could get up w/o chains. One time I drove up it by putting my passenger tires over the curb into our front lawn to get traction. Worked like a charm (<3 locking center diff)

Last edited by WDE46; 01-14-2013 at 03:26 PM.
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote