E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
Dillano609

My Ride: 04' BMW 330Ci
Question Help with rear fog activate

I've been doing some research on how to do this and I think it is possible to do a rear fog light activation on a US facelift coupe, but I'm not entirely sure how (I seldom tinker with the Bimmer). There are a bunch of DIYs regarding prefacelift models, but nothing after.

I have a 04 330ci and was hoping we could get a thread started for those who want to use these, in my area they would really come in handy and I'm sure more people than myself would like to do this.

Here's a link on the forum to one of the very few helpful threads:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=712102

Anyone have any suggestions?
Dillano609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
Dillano609

Ah phooey...

I feel like a blundering idiot every time I start a thread around here. Turns out not only would a facelift model need a new faceplate for the LCM, but need to have new wiring to the rear end of the car as well as having the car re-coded.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
christiandflores

My Ride: BMW M3 E46
Are you trying to make them function as actual rear foglights? I wired mine as 4th brake lights. But it would t be that hard to wire them with the license plate lights and make then turn on that way
christiandflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:15 AM   #4
Dillano609

I'm thinking of making it so they function as normal rear fog lamps. Where I'm from they certainly would come in handy for weather conditions and for when I get a tailgater. I agree I could wire them to the license plates lights, but I don't want to have them going on without my control.

For brake lights... Idk... Halogens and LED don't mix too well.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:47 AM   #5
christiandflores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillano609 View Post
I'm thinking of making it so they function as normal rear fog lamps. Where I'm from they certainly would come in handy for weather conditions and for when I get a tailgater. I agree I could wire them to the license plates lights, but I don't want to have them going on without my control.

For brake lights... Idk... Halogens and LED don't mix too well.
heres how my turned out.

IMG_3010-2
Old 01-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
Dillano609

That looks phenomenal! How'd you go about it?

I think when the weather gets warmer I might make a DIY on this when I finally get this done.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
christiandflores

i followed this diy. and i used a red SB60 1156 bulb from ddm tuning claimed to 420 lumens, almost perfect just a tad bit dimmer. im going to guess you already have the correct bulb carriers.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...fog+lights+diy
Old 01-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
Dillano609

Ahh, I was under the impression it was the 1157 bulb type, but for all I know they could be essentially the same thing.

I don't quite have the correct bulb carriers, I'm gonna have to drill the metal plate off in the housing. But I'm really enjoying your M, it looks amazing. Thanks for the link too.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
christiandflores

the difference is 1157 has two contact points, the 1156 is just one. just be careful when you drill, i accidentally messed up mine by pressing too hard, thats why i bought carriers instead. probably better to have the drill go fast but with light pressure.

here are some more current pix. i changed the trunk lid lights with the prefacelift style but kept the larger facelift lights. then i smoked the clear parts. looks better imo because it keeps the lines going and the L shape BMW's normally have for lights.

_MG_3333
_MG_3340

_MG_3652And8more_tonemapped
_MG_3642And9more_tonemapped

Tags
rear fog lights facelift