E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 07:08 AM   #1
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow
 
2000_328CI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Isla de Muerta | DC/VA
Posts: 29,025
My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Joe Biden Announces Something or Other

Link : http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...590914480.html

Quote:
WASHINGTON-President Barack Obama is considering taking executive action to stem gun violence, Vice President Joe Biden said Wednesday, suggesting that some federal gun regulations will change even if support doesn't materialize in Congress.

"The president is going to act," Mr. Biden said, as he opened multiple days of meetings with interest groups as part of his assignment from Mr. Obama to draw up proposals for responding to the elementary-school shootings in Newtown, Conn. White House officials said no decisions had been made about what steps the administration would take.

Mr. Biden met Wednesday with gun-safety advocacy groups, as well as victims and survivors of shootings. He also made calls to governors, mayors and other local officials.

The vice president said in the private meeting he hoped to deliver recommendations to the president as soon as next week, a participant said.The meeting yielded consensus on calls for improved background checks and on bans on assault rifles and high-capacity magazines, according to the participantMr. Biden is likely to face resistance to most of those ideas on Thursday, when he is due to meet with the National Rifle Association, the nation's most powerful gun lobby, and other gun-rights groups. Wal-Mart Stores Inc., WMT -0.03% the country's largest seller of guns, initially said it couldn't meet Thursday with the vice president but on Wednesday said it would send a representative.

There is little sign lawmakers and advocacy groups on either side of the debate are willing to alter their stances, though room for agreement may exist in some areas, such as requiring states to increase their submission of mental-health records to the background-check system used to screen people buying guns from federally licensed dealers.

Mike Hammond, legislative counsel for Gun Owners of America, which wasn't invited to meet with Mr. Biden, said he didn't expect Thursday's meeting with gun-rights groups to be constructive. "They are being summoned" and will be "lectured," he said.


The NRA declined to comment on what it expects will happen at the meeting. The organization, which last month called for a national campaign to place armed security in the nation's schools, sent a letter to members of Congress last week saying it planned to be a constructive voice in the debate while emphasizing that "gun bans do not work."


Thank goodness chancellor Obama was a constitutional law professor.. it obviously really stuck with him.
__________________

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze

Last edited by 2000_328CI; 01-10-2013 at 07:09 AM.
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
elections have consequences, I hope he completely overreaches and gets smacked down
__________________
“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
casino is no lie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CDT
Posts: 76
My Ride: M54B30
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliTalk Rule
- No more sensationalized thread titles. Just copy and paste the title from where ever the content was originally from. If the source material itself has an outrageous title, then edit it or find another source for your intended discussion. Titles don't need added E46Fanatics flair to get more attention.
Chase's Title: Joe Biden Announces Obama To Ignore Congress & Sign Executive Order Banning Firearms

Actual Title: Biden Says White House May Bypass Congress Over Guns
__________________
casino is no lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
They are synonymous
__________________
“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
Carskibum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Posts: 3,116
My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
The real title isn't much better haha.
__________________
Carskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
mistrzmiasta
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NYC
Posts: 999
My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
Chase's Title: Joe Biden Announces Obama To Ignore Congress & Sign Executive Order Banning Firearms

Actual Title: Biden Says White House May Bypass Congress Over Guns
i think it was the white house cleaning ladies' idea.

Last edited by mistrzmiasta; 01-10-2013 at 07:53 AM.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #7
casino is no lie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CDT
Posts: 76
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
They are synonymous
"To order" and "may bypass" are not synonymous. Semantics is clearly not your strong suit.
__________________
casino is no lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #8
boostedisbetter
Registered User
 
boostedisbetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,615
My Ride: 03 S2000
Mental health checks would NOT have kept the Newtown shooting from happening... What don't people get about that? He didn't own any of the guns used... I'm not saying it's a bad idea to have better mental checks, but stupid arguement is stupid.
__________________

Last edited by boostedisbetter; 01-10-2013 at 07:58 AM.
boostedisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
5ynd1cat3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 479
My Ride: swagger wagon
Sheesh, come on! He doesn't have TIME to wait for congress to act! We have to do this now people!



Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App
__________________
5ynd1cat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:03 AM   #10
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
"To order" and "may bypass" are not synonymous. Semantics is clearly not your strong suit.
"to order" does not appear in thread title. Reading is clearly not your strong suit.
__________________
“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #11
casino is no lie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CDT
Posts: 76
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
"to order" does not appear in thread title. Reading is clearly not your strong suit.
You are correct. However, the principal still stands.

"Obama To Ignore Congress & Sign" and "May Bypass" are not synonymous. Again, semantics does not appear to be an area of strength for you. I find that alarming considering you claim to be a lawyer. If anything you should excel in that area.
__________________
casino is no lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #12
5ynd1cat3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 479
My Ride: swagger wagon
Let's say an executive order comes down with some sort of weapons ban is attached...since when does the potus have domain over the bill of rights?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App
__________________

Last edited by 5ynd1cat3; 01-10-2013 at 08:16 AM.
5ynd1cat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #13
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
You are correct. However, the principal still stands.

"Obama To Ignore Congress & Sign" and "May Bypass" are not synonymous. Again, semantics does not appear to be an area of strength for you. I find that alarming considering you claim to be a lawyer. If anything you should excel in that area.
"The president is going to act," - Biden

You see, this is Joe Biden announcing that Obama is going to ignore Congress and act via executive order. You actually have to read the article not just the title silly dilly.

Wow, "is going to" appears in both the body of the article and the title. Go figure! It's ok, I only took my psych classes for the easy A's.
__________________
“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."

Last edited by Act of God; 01-10-2013 at 08:18 AM.
Act of God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #14
casino is no lie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CDT
Posts: 76
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
"The president is going to act," - Biden

You see, this is Joe Biden announcing that Obama is going to ignore Congress and act via executive order. You actually have to read the article not just the title silly dilly.

Wow, "is going to" appears in both the body of the article and the title. Go figure! It's ok, I only took my psych classes for the easy A's.
President Barack Obama is considering taking executive action...



Bro.
__________________
casino is no lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #15
Lair
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sea level
Posts: 321
My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
Another chase masterpiece.

I give it two thumbs up for hysteria, no thumbs for truthiness.
__________________

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #16
badfast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Korea
Posts: 557
My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
President Barack Obama is considering taking executive action...



Bro.
First thing I thought.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:10 AM   #17
rapier7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: ATL
Posts: 78
My Ride: Subaru BRZ
Where is it said that the President is banning firearms? Or that he plans on using an executive order to do so? Why did you sensationalize your thread title into something that's completely outside of the intent of the Administration?
__________________
http://meta-rhetoric.com - Unfiltered Reality

Last edited by rapier7; 01-10-2013 at 09:10 AM.
rapier7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #18
boostedisbetter
Registered User
 
boostedisbetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,615
My Ride: 03 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapier7 View Post
Where is it said that the President is banning firearms? Or that he plans on using an executive order to do so? Why did you sensationalize your thread title into something that's completely outside of the intent of the Administration?
Vocab word of the day. I can say I learned something on E46F today
__________________
boostedisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #19
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by casino is no lie View Post
President Barack Obama is considering taking executive action...



Bro.
The thread title refers to what Biden said. He exact quote was Biden saying Obama IS going to act... Not consider
__________________
“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #20
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow
 
2000_328CI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Isla de Muerta | DC/VA
Posts: 29,025
My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Wow FAWK whichever moderator changed the title of this because it butthurt their liberal bias.
__________________

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use