E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
luke@maximumpsi
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 750hp E36 NickG Tune
ThinkOrz's SMG M3 - Maximum PSI Turbo Kit Build

A few weeks ago we started a thread stating were searching for an SMG M3 to finalize our stock motor kit for full commercial release. Dexter and his beautiful 2004 Alpine White with cinnamon interior SMG M3, stepped up to the plate! I fell in love with this car when he dropped it off. It is immaculate!

Brian's car and Dexter's together

Here is the main hardware components that will be included with the kit. There are many small items that we did not include in this picture.

First, as you always should, we reinforced the rear. We not only hit the underside reinforcements at the sub frame mounting points, we also go in the trunk. While we were in there we also installed the AKG black sub frame bushings and rear trailing arm bushings on the car. Dexter is definetly doing it right, taking care of the weak suspension components prior to adding the power.

We are not only using his car to finalize the SMG hardware package, we are also using it to build our installation instructions. We are already up to step 97 with a little ways to go. Here are some pictures that you will see when you purchase the kit!

The is the last time the engine bay will look like this!

Time to Pull these and replace.

Intercooler Mounted

Turbo Nestled in its new home

That is where she sits today. We will keep you guys updated! We have some more work to do, but we have high hopes to get the car sorted shortly.

Last edited by luke@maximumpsi; 01-11-2013 at 08:29 AM.
luke@maximumpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i sedan (E46)
his 2007 m3? interesting....
Old 01-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB328I View Post
x2 thought 06 was the last year...
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:40 PM   #4
BaDiNfLuEnCe

My Ride: 04 m3, 06 jeep srt8
Cant wait to see when its all done!!!

[/IMG][/URL]
BaDiNfLuEnCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:51 PM   #5
M3SWEETNESS

My Ride: 2002 M3
Its a typo lol Yes the last year the E46 M3 was produced was 2006.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
luke@maximumpsi
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB328I View Post
Thanks for pointing that out. It is a 2004.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
Beedub

My Ride: bmw z4m vt2-525
great thread!!!! awesome kit btw!!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
E85head

My Ride: E46 M3
Probably a dumb question... Is it possible to route the chargepipe over the subframe?
E85head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
Think0rz

My Ride: 05 AW M3
Wow nice to see some progress car has come along way from inspection II to subframe reinforcement to turbo kit it's been a long Christmas for my M My car is an 05 AW with Cinnamon interior SMG 60k miles. Great work luke car is looking good cant wait to throw my wheels back on it and make some vids I got my gopro ready to record

Last edited by Think0rz; 01-11-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Think0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
luke@maximumpsi
Past Site Sponsor

Vin number comes back as 2004! Either way, it is a beautiful car. I'm excited for you.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
FragNasty

My Ride: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by E85head View Post
Probably a dumb question... Is it possible to route the chargepipe over the subframe?
I had a similar question.

I would just like to clarify the question a bit: Is it possible to route the charge-pipe over the subframe without sacrificing the AC?
FragNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
Think0rz

My Ride: 05 AW M3
weird with the vin coming up as an 04 I guess bmw built my car at the end of the last quarter and shipped out in 05? either way excited to see what she puts down on the dyno as well as what the sound is like with the exhaust setup. As for the piping I cant comment but I know from seeing HPF cars and a one off custom turbo setup they all seem to have their pipe in the same fashion and if your car is slammed get used to replacing silicone connects/clamps every so often. This is one of the main reason why so many people wanted a top mount kit as well as to remove the need of a scavenge oil pump
Old 01-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #13
luke@maximumpsi
Past Site Sponsor

Here are some pictures of Brian's car and his hot side charge pipe to give you guys a reference of how low are charge pipe sits. (iphone pictures)

If you want to keep the intake and run the charge piping over the subframe, you will have to sacrifice the AC compressor.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:21 PM   #14
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
any chance to make the charge pipe portions closest to the ground out of the oval piping to get a little more clearance?
Old 01-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #15
E85head

I have no doubt in my mind! I would gladly sacrifice my AC to avoid this charge pipe routing seint the problems i have with stock ride height.
But then again, where I come from; having AC in a car, is like having a house inside a volcano, and install an oven just in case..
Old 01-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #16
FragNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke@maximumpsi View Post
Here are some pictures of Brian's car and his hot side charge pipe to give you guys a reference of how low are charge pipe sits. (iphone pictures)

If you want to keep the intake and run the charge piping over the subframe, you will have to sacrifice the AC compressor.
Wow. That is low! Maybe 3 or 3.5 inches off the ground?

Last edited by FragNasty; 01-11-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #17
Grendelsbane

My Ride: M3
Hmm...I have lowered my car by 1" all the way around. If I do this, I wonder if I will ground out on the speed bumps at work.
2004 Silver M3 / SMG / Koni Yellow shocks and struts / Vogtlands lowering springs / Eibach front and rear sway bars / Proflex bushings / Predator Orion V2 Multi-Color LED Angel Eyes / Laser Interceptors / Clear Bumper Reflectors / Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator / AKG Motor mounts / Rogue Engineering Transmission Mount / AKG differential bushings / Euro mirrors / B&B Exhaust / CSL SMG tune /DME CSL tune

Grendelsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #18
Grande D

My Ride: E90 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendelsbane View Post
Hmm...I have lowered my car by 1" all the way around. If I do this, I wonder if I will ground out on the speed bumps at work.
The speedbumps will ovalize the tubing for you.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest."
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #19
FragNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendelsbane View Post
Well the pipe is between the front wheels. It will only touch, maybe, if you go over the speed bump sideways or at some angle where the front wheels "straddles" the bump.

Maybe it would touch if you drive the car off a curb right front wheel first.

Is there some other way to route the charge pipe? Maybe fabricating a new AC bracket or adaptor that opens a bit of space up?
Old 01-12-2013, 05:30 AM   #20
E85head

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragNasty View Post
Well the pipe is between the front wheels. It will only touch, maybe, if you go over the speed bump sideways or at some angle where the front wheels "straddles" the bump.

Maybe it would touch if you drive the car off a curb right front wheel first.

Is there some other way to route the charge pipe? Maybe fabricating a new AC bracket or adaptor that opens a bit of space up?
I don't know if you could make it work but i know hybrid cars are using electric ac compressors.. Is it possible to fit one of those?