E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
adaseb

My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
Getting Air Out of Cooling System

I searched and there are no instructions for this procedure. Its only when refilling the coolant.

However if the coolant is full and you just want to get the air bubbles out how should it be done?

Park on an incline, remove ET cap, run car for 20 mins or until thermostat opens and that should get most of the bubbles out?

With the ET CAP off won't the coolant spill out?
adaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
Thats what bleeding is. Turn the heater on high while bleeding, this will bleed the heater core.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
adaseb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ciandr6 View Post
Thats what bleeding is. Turn the heater on high while bleeding, this will bleed the heater core.
But if there is air in the cooling system how will it get out? The coolant in the ET doesn't circulate when the car is off.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
Russian172

My Ride: Flying brick,e39 b28
Open and close the bleed screw while the engine is
Runing untill a solid stream is flowing

Search
Edzgarage he has many diy's and the one you're looking for
Old 12-31-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
seriously. cooling system bleeding is THE most discussed topic on these forums. Yes, it makes a mess.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
Russian172

My Ride: Flying brick,e39 b28
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
seriously. cooling system bleeding is THE most discussed topic on these forums. Yes, it makes a mess.
WDe46 knows his sh!t contributing even on New Years were all a family here yaye neggus
Old 12-31-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
I'm going to downtown Nashville in an hour. so you only have that long to receive demeaning comments in 2012.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
adaseb

Basically I took out the bleed screw, put the car to ON and the heater was on HOT and waited. 10 minutes.

I don't think this did anything. How do you properly bleed these cars if it already has coolant in the radiator?

I searched but nobody has done this before
Old 01-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #9
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Yes they have. This has been discussed to death. Read the sticky for starts
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaseb View Post
Basically I took out the bleed screw, put the car to ON and the heater was on HOT and waited. 10 minutes.

I don't think this did anything. How do you properly bleed these cars if it already has coolant in the radiator?

I searched but nobody has done this before
You must pour coolant in to force the air out!
Remove screw, ignition on, high heat selected, car level.
Pour coolant into the tank until it rises to the screw hole.
Stop and wait as the air will come out all by itself and the coolant level will drop as the air comes out. Continue pouring until the level at the screw hole stops dropping. I know it's difficult these days, but a little patience is all that is required here! I've done this first time every time and never spilled a drop!
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #11
TT330i

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaseb View Post
I searched and there are no instructions for this procedure. Its only when refilling the coolant.

However if the coolant is full and you just want to get the air bubbles out how should it be done?

Park on an incline, remove ET cap, run car for 20 mins or until thermostat opens and that should get most of the bubbles out?

With the ET CAP off won't the coolant spill out?
I don't even know what to make of this... If you aren't refilling the coolant, why do you think there is any air in there to begin with? coolant replaces air, ergo you are filling it.
TT330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #12
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Start the car.
Go for a ride.
Turn the heater control on max heat until you start to cook, then you can turn the heater controls to a more comfortable setting.
Return home.
Open the hood while hte engine is running.
Locate the screw on the upper hose where the hose connects to the expansioin tank.
Open the screw. (Do not remove the screw, just open it. It is a vent, you want the air to come out through the vent, you do not want the screw to come out else you will have a mess on your hands.)
Steam will come out. When the steam turns to a stream, the system is bled. Close the vent screw.

Alternate method, do all of the same stuff, EXCEPT that when you get home, park the car and allow it to return to room temperature. Open the radiator cap and add coolant to the proper level.

The bleed screw is the highest point in the system, so opening it will allow all of the air to excape. It really forces the air to escape, but the distinction is insignificant. If you fill the system, then set the heater to high, then coolant will flow through out the the system, the air will travel to the high point. When the car cools down, you top the system to the proper level, and whatever air there is is minimal, and the system will cool as well as it can.

Bleeding is meant to get the last little bit of air out of the system, but there will always be air space in the expansion tank, hense there will always be some air in the system someplace. Bleeding is a procedure to quickly evacuate air that will eventually find its way to the expansion tank anyhow, but it takes a while for this to happen.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:08 PM   #13
adaseb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
Start the car.
Go for a ride.
Turn the heater control on max heat until you start to cook, then you can turn the heater controls to a more comfortable setting.
Return home.
Open the hood while hte engine is running.
Locate the screw on the upper hose where the hose connects to the expansioin tank.
Open the screw. (Do not remove the screw, just open it. It is a vent, you want the air to come out through the vent, you do not want the screw to come out else you will have a mess on your hands.)
Steam will come out. When the steam turns to a stream, the system is bled. Close the vent screw.

Alternate method, do all of the same stuff, EXCEPT that when you get home, park the car and allow it to return to room temperature. Open the radiator cap and add coolant to the proper level.

The bleed screw is the highest point in the system, so opening it will allow all of the air to excape. It really forces the air to escape, but the distinction is insignificant. If you fill the system, then set the heater to high, then coolant will flow through out the the system, the air will travel to the high point. When the car cools down, you top the system to the proper level, and whatever air there is is minimal, and the system will cool as well as it can.

Bleeding is meant to get the last little bit of air out of the system, but there will always be air space in the expansion tank, hense there will always be some air in the system someplace. Bleeding is a procedure to quickly evacuate air that will eventually find its way to the expansion tank anyhow, but it takes a while for this to happen.
I will try the first method thank you.

I really looked and searched but nobody discussed this before.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #14
kevman

My Ride: 01 330i
I replaced a coolant hose not too long ago and used thos method, make sure you repeat the process until you see coolant coming out of the bleeder scre

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Bimmer App
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote