E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 02:25 AM   #1
jruss86

My Ride: BMW 330i 2004 M-Spor
BMW Noob

Hi all! I am glad I have found this forum!

My name is James and I have recently bought a 2004 BMW 330i with M-kit. A japanese import. Ive had to do some regular maintenance but its in absolutely great condition with original parts. I am new to car ownership but I have been obsessed with this model for years. So I finally got one! Hooray!

The reason I post is that I'm looking to tune it up and get some basic HP improvements to get started. Can anyone give some expert advice on what would be good to start with? E.g. parts, tuning, whatever.

Much appreciated guys,
James.
jruss86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #2
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
See how I have a car the same vintage as you? So forget the hp dreams. This is not the car for that. Already tuned very efficiently unless you want forced induction?

Read the wiki to become so much more knowledgeable: http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php/BMW_E46

This is the best board. Come back with more questions.

Welcome on your first post!

Study up here too: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...nerable&page=3

Last edited by Stinger9; 12-16-2012 at 02:33 AM.
Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:40 AM   #3
metlic53

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
75 shot of NOS or VF-Engingeering supercharger, or ESS. I find my e46 to be awesome at handling, my dad has a 02 SS camaro with tons of mods and i asked him to try and keep up with me around some corners, he was with me till his back end started coming around from the sharp turns but i never slid in a straight way all i'd see is dust from him though. Go take some hard corners, i take u-turns where i live going 50 without sliding plus its fun, all the cars ive owned dont handle turns like these bimmers
metlic53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:12 AM   #4
jruss86

Ah ok. A friend suggested an aftermarket air filter might add some improvement. I had a read through the Wiki, I believe I have the ZHP Performance package - I guess that confirms your statement on its tuning Stinger9! Added a photo of it in my 'Garage'.

Handles like a dream. Everyone who has driven it has said its cornering is superb.

Are there any DIY tweaks? I've still got a lot to learn about my new car.

I also hear the stereo system is quite a challenge to upgrade.

The 2nd link to the thread is well helpful! THanks! now I know what to look out for..

Last edited by jruss86; 12-16-2012 at 05:26 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
metlic53

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
I put a signature motoring cold air intake kit on my 01 325i it wasn't expensive and it made my BMW have a growl and sounds awesome. http://signaturemotoring.com/
metlic53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruss86 View Post
Ah ok. A friend suggested an aftermarket air filter might add some improvement. I had a read through the Wiki, I believe I have the ZHP Performance package - I guess that confirms your statement on its tuning Stinger9! Added a photo of it in my 'Garage'.
Make it reliable before you make it fast!

Air intake is way expensive compared to any hp diff. Great for those burning to spend on hod rod mods. Don't need to make your car special with your personal touches. It is special already.

I believe the M option overseas from the US is indeed the ZHP in the US. So you have the same car, but BMW does not call it that where you are.

Nice looking car there!

Last edited by Stinger9; 12-16-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:07 AM   #7
jruss86

Thanks for the advice Stinger9, sensible to get it running smoothly and reliably first. Getting a full inspection this week.

Noted metlic53!

Thanks guys
Old 12-17-2012, 06:46 AM   #8
cak323i

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
James,

Like Stinger9 posted above....do all the maintenance first and when you can "upgrade" while doing maintenance such as refreshing your suspension (add coilovers), or refreshing your cooling system (add a Stewart water pump)....along those lines.

To clarify what Stinger9 posted about your car and the ZHP... the ///M Clubsport option for your 330 isn't quite the same as what I have in my ZHP. The main difference is that the M Clubsport was not given the BMW performance camshafts that my ZHP has. Instead, your ///M Clubsport had 20 kilograms (44 lb) of sound deadening removed from the car.

The M Clubsport also shares the same suspension set up as the performance package (ZHP), as well as the "cubed" interior trim and 18-inch style 135 wheels. It is still a very nice car Just wanted to clarify...

If you're willing to put more money into your car for performance then you want to upgrade your brakes first, then get a limited slip diff, and then install a supercharger. Once you do that your 330 will be at ///M3 performance levels and it will be a very fast and nimble car!
2004 TiAg ///M l BC Racing BR Coilovers l Navigation | BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | OEM black interior retrofit | Status Gruppe one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets

Last edited by cak323i; 12-17-2012 at 06:50 AM.
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
jruss86

Thanks cak323i,

Really cleared things up for me here. So now I know exactly what car I own.

Thanks again for the advice, I'll start by cleaning it up and getting the basics sorted. Then I'll move on (once the xmas period is over!)

Can't wait to do dirty things to her. Pun intended.

J.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:03 AM   #10
cak323i

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Jruss,

When you start to mod....it's a very slippery slope but it's a fun ride
2004 TiAg ///M l BC Racing BR Coilovers l Navigation | BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | OEM black interior retrofit | Status Gruppe one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
Mango
Grand Superpatriot Sport+

My Ride: M54B30
If you haven't yet, take the time to read the links in my sig. Your car will be better off.

Oil changes and filters are a great start, but they don't even begin to scratch the surface

Welcome!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #12
jruss86

Thanks again guys, really helpful.

I've noticed this morning driving to work, that the steering is making a slight whining noise. The tighter I turn, the louder it gets, but it seems to subside as I drive for longer. Power steering issue? Also, yellow oil dripper light is illuminated now as well. Can someone advise me here?

THanks,
J.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:16 AM   #13
SilverThreeTwoFive

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
The yellow oil indicator light comes on when the oil level is low. So, check the oil level by checking the dipstick 5 minutes after you shut down the fully warmed up engine. As for the steering noise, when I first got my car my P/S pump was shot but it made more of a groaning noise that got worse as the P/S (ATF) fluid got warmed up. Maybe you could use a P/S flush. Check the condition of the fluid. Old or dirty P/S fluid can cause issues with the P/S system that can cause things to whine under load. The fluid level should also be checked while you're there.

Last edited by SilverThreeTwoFive; 12-20-2012 at 12:22 AM.
SilverThreeTwoFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:23 AM   #14
SilverThreeTwoFive

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Here is a video just for guidance. It's pretty simple but you are a self proclaimed noob. His P/S reservoir is icky. It looks like the seal on the top of his cap is crushed, but don't let that detract from the substance... Lol

Last edited by SilverThreeTwoFive; 12-20-2012 at 12:24 AM.
SilverThreeTwoFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:09 AM   #15
jruss86

Excellent, thanks. I know what I'm doing this weekend!
Old 12-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #16
KOpower

My Ride: 325ci
If you fix the car up proper and get it spotless inside out -
(get some nice tyres too)
You will be so happy with smooth ride you won't care about horse power mods
The car has plenty plenty power for everyday use

If you are doing races and tracking the car - then its another matter!

Have fun with your new ride and good luck!

My Ride:
2002 e46 325ci Manual - Sport & Premium Pkg
KOpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:44 PM   #17
Stinger9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOpower View Post
If you fix the car up proper and get it spotless inside out -
(get some nice tyres too)
You will be so happy with smooth ride you won't care about horse power mods
The car has plenty plenty power for everyday use
I used to have too much testosterone. Thank god those days are over.
(don't ask me to swap my 330 manual tho!)
Old 12-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #18
sgoetz628

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
I have an '02 330 CiC with manual. A little less power and a little more weight. What I have found is that it's no barn-burner off the line, so if you're looking to drag, it's unimpressive. But since most here are post-high school and equipped with average or larger genitalia, that's not a problem. Where it really shines, for me at least, is freeway speeds. I spend a lot of time on my local parkway, at speeds between 60 and 80, up and down hills. It pulls extremely well, even in 5th gear. In fact, I'll floor it sometimes just to feel it accelerate uphill. Okay, maybe not as mature as I thought
sgoetz628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:51 PM   #19
jruss86

You are right sgoetz, the pull is probably the best thing about it right now. Overtaking makes me feel like...well, a PROPER LAD. And there are hundreds of straight hi-speed roads out here in Dubai for it. Driving to work is hella fun! Anyways, I have done some maintenance and its running like a dream.. but doesn't sound too healthy at stand still. Just a bit gargly at the front end. Another thing I have noticed is that there is an 'inspection' light that appears when I start the engine - I have read up and apparently there is a proper check-up due at this point? Looks like I'll take it in.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:37 AM   #20
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
ESS TS supercharger - I have loved both of mine for almost 7 years