E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Well Feinstein's Proposed Gun Ban Is Here (Summary).

Full Summary: http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/publ...2-ac8ca4359119

Quote:
Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
120 specifically-named firearms
Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one military characteristic
Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds

Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test
Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from
the characteristics test
Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address
attempts to “work around” prior bans
Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Back Up Camera for E46 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ckrDiAClGgM
Muffler Delete on E46 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofYhRq0T3eI
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
CollinsE90

My Ride: 330i
She'll be famous for trying, that's about it.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
She'll be famous for trying, that's about it.
Those are my thoughts and hopes.

330i/Ci Bang for the Buck Horsepower Guide
Want 5% off any BimmerBrakes.com purchase? PM me for details!
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
This isn't going to pass as-is. I would suspect it is being proposed as a place to start negotiations for final legislation to be passed, or as a liberal wet dream.
Any info on the specifically named firearms that are referenced? I'd love to see what nonsense is on that.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
This isn't going to pass as-is. I would suspect it is being proposed as a place to start negotiations for final legislation to be passed, or as a liberal wet dream.
Any info on the specifically named firearms that are referenced? I'd love to see what nonsense is on that.

this

Last edited by rcsummers; 01-11-2013 at 02:04 PM.
rcsummers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife.
I already posted it here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=962641

And then a further breakdown from the NRA:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...7&postcount=20

Quote:
Reduces, from two to one, the number of permitted external features on various firearms. The 1994 ban permitted various firearms to be manufactured only if they were assembled with no more than one feature listed in the law. Feinstein’s new bill would prohibit the manufacture of the same firearms with even one of the features.

· Adopts new lists of prohibited external features. For example, whereas the 1994 ban applied to a rifle or shotgun the “pistol grip” of which “protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon,” the new bill would drastically expand the definition to include any “grip . . . or any other characteristic that can function as a grip.” Also, the new bill adds “forward grip” to the list of prohibiting features for rifles, defining it as “a grip located forward of the trigger that functions as a pistol grip.” Read literally and in conjunction with the reduction from two features to one, the new language would apply to every detachable-magazine semi-automatic rifle. At a minimum, it would, for example, ban all models of the AR-15, even those developed for compliance with California’s highly restrictive ban.

· Carries hyperbole further than the 1994 ban. Feinstein’s 1994 ban listed “grenade launcher” as one of the prohibiting features for rifles. Her 2013 bill carries goes even further into the ridiculous, by also listing “rocket launcher.” Such devices are restricted under the National Firearms Act and, obviously, are not standard components of the firearms Feinstein wants to ban. Perhaps a subsequent Feinstein bill will add “nuclear bomb,” “particle beam weapon,” or something else equally far-fetched to the features list.

· Expands the definition of “assault weapon” by including:

· Three very popular rifles: The M1 Carbine (introduced in 1944 and for many years sold by the federal government to individuals involved in marksmanship competition), a model of the Ruger Mini-14, and most or all models of the SKS.

· Any “semiautomatic, centerfire, or rimfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds,” except for tubular-magazine .22s.

· Any “semiautomatic, centerfire, or rimfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches,” any “semiautomatic handgun with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds,” and any semi-automatic handgun that has a threaded barrel.

· Requires owners of existing “assault weapons” to register them with the federal government under the National Firearms Act (NFA). The NFA imposes a $200 tax per firearm, and requires an owner to submit photographs and fingerprints to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE), to inform the BATFE of the address where the firearm will be kept, and to obtain the BATFE’s permission to transport the firearm across state lines.

· Prohibits the transfer of “assault weapons.” Owners of other firearms, including those covered by the NFA, are permitted to sell them or pass them to heirs. However, under Feinstein’s new bill, “assault weapons” would remain with their current owners until their deaths, at which point they would be forfeited to the government.

· Prohibits the domestic manufacture and the importation of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition. The 1994 ban allowed the importation of such magazines that were manufactured before the ban took effect. Whereas the 1994 ban protected gun owners from errant prosecution by making the government prove when a magazine was made, the new ban includes no such protection. The new ban also requires firearm dealers to certify the date of manufacture of any >10-round magazine sold, a virtually impossible task, given that virtually no magazines are stamped with their date of manufacture.

· Targets handguns in defiance of the Supreme Court. The Court ruled in District of Columbia v. Heller that the Second Amendment protects the right to have handguns for self-defense, in large part on the basis of the fact handguns are the type of firearm “overwhelmingly chosen by American society for that lawful purpose.” Semi-automatic pistols, which are the most popular handguns today, are designed to use detachable magazines, and the magazines “overwhelmingly chosen” by Americans for self-defense are those that hold more than 10 rounds. Additionally, Feinstein’s list of nearly 1,000 firearms exempted by name (see next paragraph) contains not a single handgun. Sen. Feinstein advocated banning handguns before being elected to the Senate, though she carried a handgun for her own personal protection.

· Contains a larger piece of window dressing than the 1994 ban. Whereas the 1994 ban included a list of approximately 600 rifles and shotguns exempted from the ban by name, the new bill’s list is increased to nearly 1,000 rifles and shotguns. Other than for the 11 detachable-magazine semi-automatic rifles and one other semi-automatic rifle included in the list, however, the list appears to be pointless, because a separate provision of the bill exempts “any firearm that is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action.”
Old 01-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
peytonracer4

My Ride: '00 328i
Any handgun with a threaded barrel? Isn't that like 99% of current production guns?
And requiring all owners to register their guns? Wtf I don't think so.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
bigugly

My Ride: things that go fast.
crazy how this was immediately available and ready to prepose as soon as the SH shooting went down, isnt it?

dont think it wont pass, thats what everyone said in 1994

the only thing I can't fix is broken hearts.
https://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
I want to be your BMW products' authorized installation center in Houston.
bigugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigugly View Post
crazy how this was immediately available and ready to prepose as soon as the SH shooting went down, isnt it?

dont think it wont pass, thats what everyone said in 1994
SH represents nothing more than an opportunity for liberal politicians and an argument "winner" for those who want European gun control (which is why Piers Morgan has run debates nightly on the issue).

How can one provide rational, logical points and win an argument when the left yells "look what your mentality produces" and holds up pictures of dead bodies.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Back Up Camera for E46 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ckrDiAClGgM
Muffler Delete on E46 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofYhRq0T3eI
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Parts of this will pass IMHO.

1) The 1 characteristic....I think Obama will get on board with this.
2) 10 round mags...I think thats coming.
3) Same as the last AWB.

This one WILL be stronger than the last one IMHO.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
brew

My Ride: Sequoia X5 MR2 G20
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Any handgun with a threaded barrel? Isn't that like 99% of current production guns?
And requiring all owners to register their guns? Wtf I don't think so.
Threaded means external threads for screwing in a suppressor or flash hider.

The one I don't understand is the thumbhole stock. A ban on them seems completely random. Like saying "guns can't be colored yellow". How exactly is a thumbhole design any more dangerous than a traditional stock? They're mostly used by people for prone or bench shooting, so they're actually less like the kind that you would walk around shooting offhand - which I assume is how most rifle murders are committed. And if they ban them, people who want that style will just get a thumbhole style that's open at the top.

Like this:

Are they going to start dictating the angle of the grip? And why?
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
peytonracer4

My Ride: '00 328i
I thought be threaded they meant rifled.
You don't get why they're banning that stock? Just look at it. It looks way scarier than a normal solid stock.