E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 04:27 AM   #1
iamwilliam

My Ride: 04 m3 coupe
Angry HELP! New alternator and battery but car charges intermittently

Had the battery light start flickering on and off for a few days so i ran the obc test and found that the voltages to be 11.3v when off and at 11.8v when on. After spending hours on the forums I came to the conclusion that it was the alternator. This car is my dd so i needed one asap and an o'reilly in the area had one (ultima reman), i picked up the alternator and a new battery (bosch 49r) since my battery was 7 years old. Slapped both parts on and fired it up, 12.6v off and 14.5v on. Drove on it for 2 days and everything was perfect then on the way to work the battery light comes back on and the voltages are wacky again. I drove home with the obc on and the volts would drop as low as 9.5v and then out of no where up to 13.6v. What the heck is going on? I'm ready to throw in the towel and take the car in, unless any of you car gurus has any idea. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
iamwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
joeysm3

My Ride: ///M3 04 SMG
check the belts when they wear off, they start slipping giving less voltage. happened before at my dads shop. goodluck
Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 AM   #3
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Check all your alternator and battery connections.
Verify voltage from the battery all the away to the alternator.

Last edited by BMWCaptain; 01-11-2013 at 10:22 AM.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
iamwilliam

Do I check the voltage when car is off? Or running?
Old 01-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
Check it with the car off. You want to see if your loosing you voltage across a connection or wire.
Some folks have had a bad connection in the trunk positive wire that runs to the front +B terminal.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #6
iamwilliam

Ok thanks I will check that first.. I've also heard of a bad ground somewhere, any ideas where the common fault points are?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #7
iamwilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCaptain View Post
Check it with the car off. You want to see if your loosing you voltage across a connection or wire.
Some folks have had a bad connection in the trunk positive wire that runs to the front +B terminal.
I checked the battery voltage, under the hood +B terminal voltage, and alternator voltage. All read the exact same readings. Did I receive another faulty alternator?
Old 01-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
iamwilliam

Ttt
Old 01-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
iamwilliam

Had original alternator and the ultimate reman tested and both failed so I've learned my lesson and will never buy a crap reman alternator again. Oem valeo is being rebuilt by a reputable auto electronic shop in the area. Hope this works out.