E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2003, 04:01 PM   #1
chump413

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to chump413
any experience with JL Audio 300/4 amp?

Has anyone out there had any experience with the JL Audio 300/4 amp? How would you rate it and what did you pay for it? I'm being told its $450 at my local stereo shop but have seen it for around $350 at other places...

Also, any comments on Pecision Power PCX440?

Thanks for your help.
chump413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:27 PM   #2
boynix

My Ride: 12 Volvo S60
it's like this -

u overpay at local stores but u get dealer warrantee backed by JL
u pay less online but u don't get the warrantee

$350 is a good price for it.. lowest i've seen online is around $390

it's a good amp btw

+ once a e46 330ci wh 0 re, now a Volvo S60 wh 0 re +
boynix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 04:59 PM   #3
learthworml
mod-er-at-or-er

My Ride: 2011 Tundra Crewmax
The Jl amps is a very good mid end amp. It should run you around 360, check ebay. The new PPI PCX series are not as good as old PPI amps. I would not get the new PPI amps.

SQ sound system
Seas Nextel Mids, Focal Utopia Mids, Focal BE tweeters, JL Audio 13tw5, Alpine PDX-4.150, Alpine PDX-1.600, Audison Bit One processor, Pioneer z150 hu
learthworml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 08:08 PM   #4
M3 Some

My Ride: 2002 E46 M3
The JL Audio 300/4 amp should run around $350 or less....or $400 with JL Audio warranty!
M3 Some is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 10:27 PM   #5
Fobunited

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to Fobunited
I work at an authorized JL dealer in the Bay Area. I'll get you that amp cheap with warranty. As far as PPI, their amps are good, but the guy who made PPI amps works for JL now. I'm an authorized dealer for both so I'm not going to be biased or anything. The JL 4 channel is alot better than the PPI.
Fobunited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 10:45 PM   #6
Ron@Streeteffectz

The amp is decent. It all depends on what you expect out of it and what kind of speakers you are hooking it to. Personally, it's not the amp for me as it just doesn't perform like some of the other amps on the market. I have always regarded JL amps as amps for POWER, not for sound quality.
Ron@Streeteffectz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 12:04 PM   #7
chump413

Thanks everyone for all the great input. My local stereo shop (Custom Car Stereo in Houston, TX--they've got a website) seems to carry a lot of PPI and JL Audio products which seems to be why they're particularly pushing those two amps. From the research and the reviews I've read thus far, it seems like JL's 300/4 amp is a good bet.

Fobunited--wow, that would be great if you could hook me up. Which store do you work at? I've got some friends in the Bay Area that might be able to drop by and pick it up for me (will meet up with them on a trip next week). Please e-mail me at ajchang413@earthlink.net or give me a call at 832-630-2580. We can work out the details off-board.

Thanks again everyone for all your help. This has been a tedious process as I'm also having to shell out cash for replacement wheel and tires (someone ran me into a crub)...but another topic, another forum!
Old 07-08-2003, 02:39 PM   #8
djabaley
does anyone read my p0sts?

My Ride: 325 slushbox
Quote:
Originally posted by learthworml
The Jl amps is a very good mid end amp. It should run you around 360, check ebay. The new PPI PCX series are not as good as old PPI amps. I would not get the new PPI amps.
If your dealer has OLD early 90's PPI amps buy that crap up. When PPI's parent company disentegrated PPI's engineers helped Diamond audio design their new line of amps, and their designers went to work for JL - as is my understanding. The new PPI amps probably aren't worth your money.
Old 07-13-2003, 02:13 AM   #9
dt32569

My Ride: 330Ci
I have a 300.4

I think it is a great amp. Lots of folks are calling it Mid end. I would guess if you compare it to a Brax then maybe so. I own higher end home equipement and have listened to the end all be all (B&W nautilus speakers through Krell amps) so I think I have a decent reference "ear". I think the JL is clean and musical. I like the mid bass and the highs are not too harsh. I have owned Rockford Fosgates, Haflers and even the older Carvers. Buddies have owned Alpines, Linears (nice) etc. And I think this JL is great.
The Regulated Power supply is nice also. If you compete you will hear the difference between it and a "hi" fi amp. If you listen to it driving down the road...you will not IMO.
dt32569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 11:47 AM   #10
learthworml
mod-er-at-or-er

Quote:
I think it is a great amp. Lots of folks are calling it Mid end. I would guess if you compare it to a Brax then maybe so. I own higher end home equipement and have listened to the end all be all (B&W nautilus speakers through Krell amps) so I think I have a decent reference "ear". I think the JL is clean and musical. I like the mid bass and the highs are not too harsh. I have owned Rockford Fosgates, Haflers and even the older Carvers. Buddies have owned Alpines, Linears (nice) etc. And I think this JL is great.

Nice home audio system you have there. I agree it is very hard to judge the difference between amps if you don't compete or your ears are not tuned to high end audio then you probably will not notice. So if you are not really picky about sound you probably won't tell the diffrence between a JL audio, Zapco or Brax amp. My ears are spoiled by grado reference headphones . Go with the Jl amp you wont be disappointed I think.

SQ sound system
Seas Nextel Mids, Focal Utopia Mids, Focal BE tweeters, JL Audio 13tw5, Alpine PDX-4.150, Alpine PDX-1.600, Audison Bit One processor, Pioneer z150 hu
Old 07-13-2003, 01:57 PM   #11
chump413

Thanks, everyone, for your help. Just wanted to give you an update...

I bit the bullet and got the JL Audio 300/4 amp to replace my fried Fosgate Punch 600a4 (no idea what happened...it just started messing up and having some negative draw or something since my sub was getting "sucked in" rather than pulsating outwards like it shoud...if that makes any sense. Obviously I'm not a technical audiophile.)

Now, my system (MB Quart RSB comps in front and Kicker Solobaric 12" L7 in back) seems to be back to normal and all quirks seem to have disappeared with the new amp. I am definitely satisfied although it surely wasn't a cheap purchase (finally negotiated for $400 from the retail $550 and shelled out $100 for the install) but at least everything's "authorized" and backed up with warranty.

Thanks again for all of your help.
Old 07-13-2003, 03:16 PM   #12
learthworml
mod-er-at-or-er

Glad everything worked out. 400 is a little higher than ud find it on ebay, but at least u got it from an authorized dealer with full waranty. Enjoy your system

SQ sound system
Old 07-13-2003, 08:29 PM   #13
dt32569

My Ride: 330Ci
Home system

Learthworm..I dont own that 40k system. I auditioned it in NM. I own Parasound, PSB, Adcom, Denon, etc. Still good components. I too like high end audio, but in a car, it is difficult for most to tell the difference...hell even in the home evnironment. So, I recommend most get good (not excellent) components as theyd only be buying the best stuff for the name.
It takes an ear to recognize good sound.
Grados? You know they make a very inexpensive model now! I was surprised. I NEVER use headphones unless I am on a commercial airliner with my MP3 player. Have found some nice Sennheisers that are portable...no Grados yet.
dt32569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 11:01 PM   #14
learthworml
mod-er-at-or-er

Yeah, the Grado SR-80's are about 90 dollars. I use those for with my portable cd player. Thats some good home audio equipment you have there too. I want to audition some electrostatic speakers, I hear a lot of crazy reviews about them. Oh yeah, if you like the comfort of Sennheisers, dont get grados. They are not comfortble for the first 100 hours of use.

SQ sound system