E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

View Poll Results: Will it work ok?
Yes, you'll be fine. 10 66.67%
Sorry, but this will not work. 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
m3calm

My Ride: 2004 M3 coupe
Arrow 2x 15 foot kayaks on an 02 M3? Is that... ok?

I'm thinking about getting BMW part 82-71-0-142-220

and some SportRack ABR511 J-Stacker Kayak Carrier's

to mount two 15 ft Perception Expression kayaks

on my '02 M3 coupe.

I've never had a roof mounted system on any car in my life, never used one before, so I just want to make sure that this isn't obviously retarded in some way that only experience with such things would allow you to understand.

Thanks, lol

*** UPDATE with results ***

I ordered the Yakima Landshark saddle and it failed miserably to attach to the OEM E46 crossbars. They only really fit small, barely 1 inch thick bars like the one Thule uses.
I ended up driving down the road and buying a Thule Hull-A-Port j-style carrier (specifically, model 835XTR). It did not work right out of the box, but luckily the auto parts store I went to had tons of screws so they matched the thread size and gave me some that were an inch longer.

So you'll notice the silver screws here in the following 2 pictures, those I had to buy separately to get this system to work.

I couldn't figure out where exactly to hook the bow and stern lines to. Eventually, I went way under my car and found a spot I think is ok for the rear lines. (Can someone confirm this??)

I couldn't figure out any place to hook the front (bow) line, so I just had it run back to the cross bar. It's kind of weird that way, but it still helped because it counterbalanced the pull of the stern line.

NOTES:
  • It doesn't matter which direction your kayak is facing, as long as it's balanced. The picture above was the first time I put it on, and it the front of the kayak was facing the rear. I switched it up on the ride home and there was no difference, other than the kayak being longer over my engine as opposed to behind me.
  • In the picture above I had the straps tightened well but I left the ends loose. I don't think they damaged my car or anything, but they made an annoying whipping sound against it when driving. Just wrap them around something a few times to keep them put.
  • It's almost certainly better to have your cockpit cover on so your cockpit isn't exposed and allows for a smoother ride. Just make sure you attach it somewhere to your boat with a carabiner or something, because it can fall off from the wind while driving. It didn't happen to me the first time (when I secured it down). On the way back I forgot to secure it and it fell off; luckily part of it was tucked under the weight of the boat so it didn't go very far. >_>
  • You can go normal speeds if you strap it down well enough. I went 80+ on the highway on a mildly windy day (10mph winds), and she stayed put. I didn't stop or accelerate as fast as I normally do, but I'm sure I could have.
  • While I used the Hull-A-Port 835XTR, you could probably get away with using a number of other Thule models because they all appear to use the same clamping system. You'll just need to remember to get longer screws to fit. I could tell you what kind, but I know nothing about screws. But here's what my receipt says for the screws: "JPN06080- M6-1.0 X 80 CAP SCR [PAN 6530600]". But as I was saying, theoretically the Glide and Set model 883, Top Deck model 881, Set-to-Go model 878XT, Hydro-Glide model 875XT, even The Stacker model 830 should work.
  • It shouldn't matter too much, but it seemed to make the most sense to mount the kayak carrier closer to the center of my vehicle because I only have 1 kayak. Center of balance and all that. *shrugs*
  • The kayak above is actually a 17 foot kayak, not a 15.

I hope that's useful for people. Ping me if you need anything else.

Last edited by m3calm; 05-26-2012 at 11:00 PM. Reason: update
m3calm is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
calebjimz

My Ride: nothing
its absolutely ok. they wouldnt make the mounts for kayaks if it wasnt... check the load capacity on the racks if your are doubting yourself that much.
calebjimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
just get a 2nd tow hook and use them front and rear to secure them so you dont scratch anywhere. Two on the rack is fine, they are supposedly rated to lik 175lbs, but one dude had a couch on his car a while back.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
m3calm

thanks!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
just get a 2nd tow hook and use them front and rear to secure them so you dont scratch anywhere. Two on the rack is fine, they are supposedly rated to lik 175lbs, but one dude had a couch on his car a while back.
Pics lol?
Sick Days - Unlimited
Working Days in 2013 - 159
Accountability for poor performance - None
Healthcare - Top notch

Want to complain about entitlements.....start with Congress.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
ZX5rider posted it in the roof rack thread a while back.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
T R E

My Ride: 2000 328ci
did this work ok for you? pics?

and another E46 subframe defect victim.
T R E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
The key is to have them VERY securely fastened down and to minimize forward air resistance. I used to run TWO large Windsurfing boards, booms and masts on an RX7. The rack has to be VERY securely fastened to the car - and the kayaks very secure to the rack. Any weak point and they could depart the roof - with serious results for those behind you.

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #9
m3calm

Quote:
Originally Posted by T R E View Post
did this work ok for you? pics?
I ordered the rack and the kayak, I'll put up some pics as soon as they arrive (~1 week)
Old 05-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #10
Dirty Mike

My Ride: Fern Green 330ci
In for pica
Dirty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:17 PM   #11
m3calm

Update for pictures: https://imgur.com/a/UTwUh
(also changed the original post)
Old 05-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #12
grkm3

My Ride: Money Pit
Send a message via AIM to grkm3
Have you tried attaching the tow eye to the front bumper and running the front line to it?

Coming Soon: Open to suggestions

grkm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:12 AM   #13
m3calm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkm3 View Post
Have you tried attaching the tow eye to the front bumper and running the front line to it?
The bumper is not very strong plastic, very flimsy underneath where I'd have to hook the line. While it probably wouldn't damage the car, it certainly wouldn't be strong enough to provide any tension for the rope if it actually came down to it (i.e. you accelerated really fast and the kayak slide backwards; the bumper would just crack where the hook was).
Old 01-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #14
Skeletonkey

My Ride: '02 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3calm View Post
The bumper is not very strong plastic, very flimsy underneath where I'd have to hook the line. While it probably wouldn't damage the car, it certainly wouldn't be strong enough to provide any tension for the rope if it actually came down to it (i.e. you accelerated really fast and the kayak slide backwards; the bumper would just crack where the hook was).
Old thread I know.. But I think he mean installing the townhook from your trunk lid tool box on your front bumper and running your bow line to that.

Looks kinda cool with a kayak on top
Skeletonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #15
orionstrident

My Ride: e46 325i
I have had a max of 4. here is a picture of three. I would recommend the Thule 753 specialty rack instead of the BMW one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1359123953.320474.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	487676  
Old 01-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #16
Skeletonkey

My Ride: '02 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by orionstrident View Post
I have had a max of 4. here is a picture of three. I would recommend the Thule 753 specialty rack instead of the BMW one.
Did you have to do any modifications like the OP? Also do you have experience with the bmw kayak rack? I'm wondering if it fits on an e46 oem base rack
Skeletonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #17
///M Powerd

My Ride: 2003.5 M3 Coupe
Like a boss...
///M Powerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:20 PM   #18
scca_ziptie

My Ride: 2006 M3 SMG Comp pkg
Wonder how long that rope will last contacting the exhaust system like that..? Also how secure it may be anchored to the sway bar.... Seems like both could possibly be done a bit differently.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #19
orionstrident

My Ride: e46 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeletonkey View Post
Did you have to do any modifications like the OP? Also do you have experience with the bmw kayak rack? I'm wondering if it fits on an e46 oem base rack
i did use anything oem i used all thule products and i made no modifications to the car i just used the tow hooks as my bow and stern lines. i have had this setup up to 80mph on the highway fine