E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
xjbmx

My Ride: 325i/Cheerokee
Do sellers really go for a PPI?

Ok so new guy here, and have a few questions I haven't found wile searching.

I know a PPI is the best bet when purchasing a used car, and do plan on it when I find one I like but do private sellers really go along with it? I can't imagine someone selling a car taking a day off work or killing their afternoon to sit with a stranger at a dealership for an hour or two with a chance the buyer will either bail on the purchase or low ball him when he could just wait to sell it to someone else that won't be such a stickler.

Also, how many of you have had a PPI done? How did it go?
How did you go about setting it up? What was the sellers reaction?

Don't worry I'm not trying to be talked out of having it done when time comes. I'm completely ignorant to the car world (Jeep guy) so I'm not going to trust my self with that decision.

Thanks for the help ahead of time.
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:16 AM   #2
Kmoy2002

My Ride: 2002tii, 540i, 330i
I don't see why a seller wouldn't agree to a PPI unless he/she knows there is a serious issue with the car. Generally speaking, it is the responsibility of the prospective buyer that pays for the PPI. I encourage PPI's and have always explicitly stated that PPI's are at the buyers expense and at a reputable BMW dealership only. Usually, when a potential buyer is at the point where they're getting a PPI done AND they're spending upwards of +$100 for the inspection, they're most likely going to purchase the car pending no major issues. What's an hour or two for a seller when they're about to seal the deal and sell their car?

The buyer could lowball the seller but overall it is the buyer that ends up wasting his/her money on the PPI when the seller rejects the offer and walks away.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:54 AM   #3
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Well, first of all, don't get a PPI at a dealer. Find a good independent shop to do it for you.
As for the seller going for it, I would not trust a seller who does not go for it. End of story. If they want to sell, they will find a way to do it. If not, walk away, no compromise. I would assume that anyone who objects has something to hide.
Also, do not take it to the guy who has been maintaining the car for the owner. He is definitely not on your side. It is worth talking to him, but don't let him do the PPI.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:14 AM   #4
Viktimize

My Ride: 2002 325i,2003 330ci
If a seller has nothing to hide there is no reason they should see any issue with a PPI. The only time it takes is dropping off the car at the shop, and then picking it up when it's done. I did it for the guy that bought my last car, in the future I would not have the buyer pay for it. If the buyer pays you aren't entitled to any of the information in the report as the seller. In my case the shop quoted a bunch of crap that didn't need to be done, and I wasn't even allowed to go discuss with the tech why he was recommending this work to be done. In the future I would tell a buyer that I would get the inspection done and then work it into the price of the car.
Viktimize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:28 AM   #5
xjbmx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
Well, first of all, don't get a PPI at a dealer. Find a good independent shop to do it for you.
As for the seller going for it, I would not trust a seller who does not go for it. End of story. If they want to sell, they will find a way to do it. If not, walk away, no compromise. I would assume that anyone who objects has something to hide.
Also, do not take it to the guy who has been maintaining the car for the owner. He is definitely not on your side. It is worth talking to him, but don't let him do the PPI.
Why avoid a dealer if I may ask? I would imagine that would be the best route since they would (or should) know what to look at in a BMW vs Billy Joe's auto care.

I would definitely not take it to the sellers mechanic, nor buy it if the seller declines. I'm just trying to envision how to go about this so I could easily propose it to the seller instead of trying to figure it out with him. That is of course if he has not done this before either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktimize View Post
If a seller has nothing to hide there is no reason they should see any issue with a PPI. The only time it takes is dropping off the car at the shop, and then picking it up when it's done. I did it for the guy that bought my last car, in the future I would not have the buyer pay for it. If the buyer pays you aren't entitled to any of the information in the report as the seller. In my case the shop quoted a bunch of crap that didn't need to be done, and I wasn't even allowed to go discuss with the tech why he was recommending this work to be done. In the future I would tell a buyer that I would get the inspection done and then work it into the price of the car.
So you have him drop it off and report back? That would be a lot less of an event. I was imagining a sort of both of you sitting in the lounge as if you were waiting for a paternity test results or something of that sort .

I see what you are saying about the results, that's shitty that you can't see the info on your own car, but now how would the buyer know you didn't just go tip off a mechanic if you did just report back with some notes? (hence why I figured both buyer and seller there) Though that would make it 10x easier to have it done on a car that is a good distance away.

Sorry for my ignorance on all this.

Last edited by xjbmx; 01-12-2013 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Writers block?
xjbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:49 AM   #6
gameboy86

My Ride: 2002 325i, 2002 M3
When I got my PPI done for my M3 the previous owner just let me take it up to my indy shop and bring it back to him at work. He was all for getting a PPI because he must have known there were no issues. Guess I was lucky there.
gameboy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:57 AM   #7
xjbmx

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameboy86 View Post
When I got my PPI done for my M3 the previous owner just let me take it up to my indy shop and bring it back to him at work. He was all for getting a PPI because he must have known there were no issues. Guess I was lucky there.
Wow, you must have a very trust worthy face!
Old 01-12-2013, 06:41 AM   #8
luthers4

My Ride: 02 330ci/ 04 M3
DO NOT have the dealer perform your PPI, unless you are familar with and trust them. You are not spending enough $ for the dealer to care. BMW of Sarasota charged me $350 and missed several obvious issues. I'm convinced they didn't even look at the car, they simply gave me a price for list of maintenance items and tires. They told me the car simply needs "maintenance." Turns out both headlights have issues, driver's side brights don't work due to a cheap after market ballast that was zip tied to the frame. The seller told me dash warning lights were due to led fogs. Found many other issues after taking reciept of the car. Recouped my PPI $ from the dealer, but I've spent alot of time finding parts and DIYing.
Based on my experience, make sure you trust the indy and do your reseach so you can identify common issues yourself.
luthers4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #9
xjbmx

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthers4 View Post
DO NOT have the dealer perform your PPI, unless you are familar with and trust them. You are not spending enough $ for the dealer to care. BMW of Sarasota charged me $350 and missed several obvious issues. I'm convinced they didn't even look at the car, they simply gave me a price for list of maintenance items and tires. They told me the car simply needs "maintenance." Turns out both headlights have issues, driver's side brights don't work due to a cheap after market ballast that was zip tied to the frame. The seller told me dash warning lights were due to led fogs. Found many other issues after taking reciept of the car. Recouped my PPI $ from the dealer, but I've spent alot of time finding parts and DIYing.
Based on my experience, make sure you trust the indy and do your reseach so you can identify common issues yourself.
Good god what a mess, at least you got your money back.
I'll do a bit of research for an indie mechanic to go to.

I have never took a vehicle to a shop before so that will be new also. On that note do you think a VW specific shop would be adequate? I some what don't trust a normally US car shop to really know what to look at on a BM, my supervisor had a 328i and now has a 550i and his mechanic has a hard time with it, last week he had me reset his brake maintenance light after he did new pads because he couldn't haha.

I'm definitely doing/have been my research on what to look for, at least so I can some what identify issues before getting to the point of a professional inspection. (and of course maintain it once I do purchase) You guys actually saved me from buying a some what suspicious 325i but that is another story.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjbmx View Post
Why avoid a dealer if I may ask? I would imagine that would be the best route since they would (or should) know what to look at in a BMW vs Billy Joe's auto care.

I would definitely not take it to the sellers mechanic, nor buy it if the seller declines. I'm just trying to envision how to go about this so I could easily propose it to the seller instead of trying to figure it out with him. That is of course if he has not done this before either.
Dealers are focused on one thing, warranty work. If you take a car in for an inspection, they are going to hand it off to some half-wit, to get it out of the way. I would not trust the person who does it, nor the results of any inspection that I got from a dealership.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #11
Poncho@home

My Ride: MY04 330Cic ZSP
I used a dedicated PPI service for my car. The car was too far for me to view it so I hired an inspector to go for me. He sent me back a complete report, mechanic, condition, paint/repairs, all functions, condition of wear items and liquids, with dozens of hi-res pics. Because he has no financial gain from falsely trying to upsell service, I felt confident this was an accurate report of the car, and as it turns out it was.

When I actually went in person to purchase the car, the dealer told me the inspector was very thourough taking close to 2 hours & barely spoke to the seller. The seller asked for a copy of the report and the inspector reminded him that he didn't work for him, but for the buyer, and that he should ask the buyer for the report.
Poncho@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:21 AM   #12
xjbmx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho@home View Post
I used a dedicated PPI service for my car. The car was too far for me to view it so I hired an inspector to go for me. He sent me back a complete report, mechanic, condition, paint/repairs, all functions, condition of wear items and liquids, with dozens of hi-res pics. Because he has no financial gain from falsely trying to upsell service, I felt confident this was an accurate report of the car, and as it turns out it was.

When I actually went in person to purchase the car, the dealer told me the inspector was very thourough taking close to 2 hours & barely spoke to the seller. The seller asked for a copy of the report and the inspector reminded him that he didn't work for him, but for the buyer, and that he should ask the buyer for the report.
May I ask what company this was and what it ran you? It seems all of the cars I find are in the surrounding states of me are in a lot better condition, lower miles for a hell of a better price than near me.

Being picky with this purchase and extremely impatient is stressful haha

As for the rest of you, are you going to European specific garages or a general trusted place?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:28 AM   #13
Poncho@home

My Ride: MY04 330Cic ZSP
It was in Canada, so they won't do you any good. Just look up pre-purchase inspection on google and you'll find some. It cost me $250.
Poncho@home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #14
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktimize View Post
It's kind of like selling a house and getting a home inspection. The buyer pays for it, and the seller really doesn't want to know what's in it.

If you know what's in it, you're required to disclose that. As long as you're in the dark, you're in the clear.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #15
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Honestly. I've bought my last 2 bimmers off forums. And I never did a PPI with either. Both turned out to be exactly as described. No surprises.

I dunno. I got a good vibe from both sellers each time.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:56 AM   #16
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
I would highly recommend one. The seller of my M3 was a great guy on the forum, full maintenance records, etc. Turns out there was a bunch of issues that surprised the seller as the dealership was telling him the cars was in great shape. He has an extended warranty and took care of everything so it was no big deal and why I know he wasn't lying to me. Had I not done the PPI I would have been stuck with a few grand in repairs right off the bat.

I wasn't a huge fan of them before, but after that situation I'll never buy a car without one again.

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #17
xjbmx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snik View Post
Honestly. I've bought my last 2 bimmers off forums. And I never did a PPI with either. Both turned out to be exactly as described. No surprises.

I dunno. I got a good vibe from both sellers each time.
This is how I normally go about a vehicle purchase, but it was because I've been in the Jeep/Offroad world long enough to know exactly what to look for in the Jeep and how tell what kind of person the seller if he seems would have been neglecting or beating on the rig.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #18
xjbmx

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
I would highly recommend one. The seller of my M3 was a great guy on the forum, full maintenance records, etc. Turns out there was a bunch of issues that surprised the seller as the dealership was telling him the cars was in great shape. He has an extended warranty and took care of everything so it was no big deal and why I know he wasn't lying to me. Had I not done the PPI I would have been stuck with a few grand in repairs right off the bat.

I wasn't a huge fan of them before, but after that situation I'll never buy a car without one again.

Tim
That's actually quite sad to hear, especially on an M. I wonder why they wouldn't address the issues when the owner obviously is willing to keep up on the car?
Old 01-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #19
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjbmx View Post
This is how I normally go about a vehicle purchase, but it was because I've been in the Jeep/Offroad world long enough to know exactly what to look for in the Jeep and how tell what kind of person the seller if he seems would have been neglecting or beating on the rig.
Yeah. And that's why I felt good about both of em.
Plus u can get a feel for people. Sometimes man.
If I get a bad vybe from a seller, I typically walk away. No matter how small and how much I want it.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote