E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
postal

My Ride: E46
What will this cost to fix!?

So my friend borrowed my car and was driving along foreshore rd when a truck in the right lane decided to move into the left lane. Bastard truckie did a hit and run, and my friend didn't get the number plate because he was too busy trying to stop my car safely.

It's insured, but it'll take another week to get assessed. I'm hoping it's a write-off so I can upgrade without eating the depreciation, but I'm not sure :/

So, with that in mind, let's play a game. Who can get closest to the repair price, and will it be a write-off? It's insured for $12k. First prize gets cudos. My guess is about $3k and sadly not (those 325Ci's or E90 320i's look good...)

I've never had a crash or claim before, so I'm not sure how/what happens next and what it'll cost to fix. It looks like with the exception of the lights, the damage is all cosmetic or panel; the chassis looks straight to me.

Last edited by postal; 01-28-2013 at 04:49 PM.
postal is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
rossim3

My Ride: myki
easy, the answer is friendship.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
chrisa_92

My Ride: 330ci
The car can only be a write-off only if the air bags have gone off or the chassis has been damaged / bent in. As for the damage of the car it will cost around 1.5k to 2k to fix. If you have full endurance on the car you can make an insurance claim.

Last edited by chrisa_92; 01-28-2013 at 06:37 PM.
chrisa_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #4
DeclanM3

My Ride: 332Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisa_92 View Post
The car can only be a write-off only if the air bags have gone off or the chassis has been damaged / bent in. As for the damage of the car it will cost around 1.5k to 2k to fix. If you have full endurance on the car you can make an insurance claim.
Not true. Insurance companies will often write a vehicle off if the cost of the repairs + value of the wreck exceeds the insured amount. I.e. Vehicle is insured for 12k, cost to fix is 8k and they can get 6k for the wreck.

Also consider the labour costs of arranging repair, paying repairers, any hire car costs, etc. etc. vs sending a cheque.

Full endurance is also a new one...

In this case I'd say that the cost of repairs are pretty minor so I dare say they will fix it for you. Could be wrong though..

Last edited by DeclanM3; 01-28-2013 at 08:15 PM.
DeclanM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
YGOAMG

My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanM3 View Post
Not true. Insurance companies will often write a vehicle off if the cost of the repairs + value of the wreck exceeds the insured amount. I.e. Vehicle is insured for 12k, cost to fix is 8k and they can get 6k for the wreck.

Also consider the labour costs of arranging repair, paying repairers, any hire car costs, etc. etc. vs sending a cheque.

Full endurance is also a new one...

In this case I'd say that the cost of repairs are pretty minor so I dare say they will fix it for you. Could be wrong though..
Covers you for 24 hour races!

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
ngillan

My Ride: Is in a salvage yard
Quote:
Originally Posted by YGOAMG View Post
lol Sub'd

'07 328i - Montego Blue

Dead
'84 Mercedes 190E
'95 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
'95 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
'99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
'98 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
'99 Cadillac STS
'02 BMW 325ci
ngillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
DeclanM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGOAMG View Post
Ohh right.. We just call it Le Mans cover!

Old 01-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
postal

I could see the cost of a respray of the metallic paint for half a car being 1/3 the insured value easily. But I was under the impression that they will write it off at about 1/3 to 1/2 the insured cost, but one of my mates just told me that they changed the repairable write-off rules so now the threshold is more like 80%. I hope that's not the case...
Old 01-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
YGOAMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by postal View Post
I could see the cost of a respray of the metallic paint for half a car being 1/3 the insured value easily. But I was under the impression that they will write it off at about 1/3 to 1/2 the insured cost, but one of my mates just told me that they changed the repairable write-off rules so now the threshold is more like 80%. I hope that's not the case...
What state are you in?

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
who da F done that?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #10
postal

NSW. I just checked the regulations:

"A vehicle is a 'total loss' when it's damaged value plus the cost of repairs is greater than its undamaged market value." All write-offs are statutory write-offs and it is illegal to re-register a car after being written off. Looks like I may be out of luck there

Last edited by postal; 01-28-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #11
DeclanM3

Quote:
NSW. I just checked the regulations:

"A vehicle is a 'total loss' when it's damaged value plus the cost of repairs is greater than its undamaged market value." All write-offs are statutory write-offs and it is illegal to re-register a car after being written off. Looks like I may be out of luck there
There's a difference between a 'Total Loss' and a 'statutory write-off' though..

Old 01-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #12
Caosa

My Ride: 320Ci, Rx2 (soon)
Doubt it'd be a writeoff TBH. From my experience: just a replaced front bumper, driver quarter panel, rear quarter panel doesn't look too bad so won't cost much, and a respray for the driver side of the car works out to be around 7-8k with labour roughly (****ing truck drivers).

She's just a mazda coupe with a wankel mill, but she'll walk a skyline like it's standin still. I get pushed out of shape and she's hard to steer, but i get rubber in all four gears...

Last edited by Caosa; 01-28-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Caosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:52 PM   #13
postal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeclanM3 View Post
There's a difference between a 'Total Loss' and a 'statutory write-off' though..
They changed the law in Jan '11 in NSW. A write-off MUST be scrapped and can't ever be re-registered anywhere in Aus, so I think it is the same as a total-loss. The idea is to clamp down on rebirthing. There are exceptions for old/classic/rare/significant cars

Last edited by postal; 01-28-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:19 AM   #14
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
I would have gone postal on my mate if he did that to my car.
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:45 AM   #15
Jall

My Ride: 328Ci
Not sure if just making a joke at OP's name, but why?
Doesn't sound like it was his fault and it's not worth losing a friend over a material possession, especially one that's insured. It's not like he drifted it into a lamp post.

Repair cost estimate: $5k-7k depending on what sort of bodyshop you take it to
Voted: won't be written off
Old 01-29-2013, 03:03 PM   #16
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jall View Post
Not sure if just making a joke at OP's name, but why?
Doesn't sound like it was his fault and it's not worth losing a friend over a material possession, especially one that's insured. It's not like he drifted it into a lamp post.

Repair cost estimate: $5k-7k depending on what sort of bodyshop you take it to
Voted: won't be written off
Lose a friend over it lol. No way, it is a lifetime permit to give him **** about it for the rest of his life.
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #17
E46 Coupe

My Ride: Rules1 & 2: S T F U!
^
Old 01-29-2013, 08:04 PM   #18
YGOAMG

Were you in the car?

If not i call BS on the "truck"

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
who da F done that?

Last edited by YGOAMG; 01-29-2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:53 AM   #19
ABCD

My Ride: BMW E46 M3
Be careful how hard you push for it to be written off. With no proof that there was another party involved in the accident the insurance company might get a little suspicious.
ABCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:10 AM   #20
God_speed

My Ride: '06 330Ci, GT-R Nür
Quote:
They changed the law in Jan '11 in NSW. A write-off MUST be scrapped and can't ever be re-registered anywhere in Aus, so I think it is the same as a total-loss. The idea is to clamp down on rebirthing. There are exceptions for old/classic/rare/significant cars
^This.

Had my '99 740iL written off last Dec. Got rear ended by a bus, and while the car was *perfectly* driveable (drove it home and took the other car to work), I got a quote for $16K just in panels alone, minus painting and labour. The bumper/beaver panel, rear offside light cluster, various bits of trim, battery, boot floor, all needed repair/replacement as well as a buckled C pillar. PDC sensors are a few hundred each from BMW. Mine was a bit worse than yours but I reckon you'd be looking at $10-12K all up.

Sorry to hear about that. Looking into any CCTV in the area? Would've thought Foreshore rd might have some cameras mounted high up near the Port entries/exits.