E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #21
littlegti

My Ride: 2002 330ci conv
Send a message via Skype™ to littlegti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko_10 View Post
Nice post OP. Subcribed for later.
Thanks...another recent purchase for this project was a back up BMW for my wife so I have something to drive while mine is out of commission, and it will allow me to take my time and do a good job. It's kinda a beater but it does drive nice enough.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW 525iT.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	496872  
littlegti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #22
littlegti

Today I picked up most of the parts...unfortunately ECS Tuning had the stuts on sale but they didn't have them in stock. After a week, I'm still waiting for them to arrive at ECS so they can ship them to me.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #23
importhunnie

My Ride: 01 330xi TiAg
Send a message via MSN to importhunnie
i have the RTAB MIS tool for rent. send me PM when you need it. i also have spring compressor for rent too
BMW Performance front calipers/TMS spacers/H&R studs
BBS CH/thule 753
importhunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #24
littlegti

Oh...I've already purchased the tools...I kinda like getting new tools...thanks for the offer.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #25
littlegti

Yesterday I picked up the last items, including the Koni FSD kit, from ECS Tuning. This evening after work I replaced the RTABs and installed the shims. Really easy with an impact wrench and the MIS RTAB Tool. The hardest part was figuring out how to position the tool when installing the bushings.

Here is the DIY I used as a general guide although I've been planning this for so long it was pretty straight forward.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...r-w-o-GC-shims

A couple of tips that I found really helped.

1. Drop both trailing arms before removing the bushings. With both trailing arms dropped they naturally hang down low enough to pull the bushings. I've seen some DIYs where people used blocks of wood to force the trailing arm low enough. Not really necessary.

2. Use a jack to put some pressure on the trailing arm before removing bolts for the trailing arm bracket so the trailing arm doesn't start to drop till you have removed all the bolts.

3. Read the "How to use the RTAB Tool" on the MIS website before messing around with a bunch of ways to try and use the tool to install the bushing.

I think the next job will be replacing the rear swaybar bushings and end links.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:24 AM   #26
littlegti

Today it was freezing cold in the morning so I didn't get to working on the car till quite late.

Managed to get the rear shocks replaced, but I couldn't see an easy way to get the rear swaybar end links out. It looks like you need to remove the rear axle. Not really what I was planning on so I'll move on to the front suspension tomorrow. Weather permitting.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #27
littlegti

Last Sunday I spent some time (well lots of time) working on the front struts. Had a lot of problems getting the strut out of the steering knuckle, finally managed to get one out but I wasn't clear why. Tuesday I spent some time working on the passenger side and again could not figure out how to get the strut out, gave up and went in to read more threads.

Found this thread where someone else had similar troubles. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=632875

Yesterday, it took me all of 5 minutes to get the strut out. To get the strut out you turn the steering all the way towards the opposite side to get the endlink nut off. But to get the strut out you need to turn the steering all the way towards the side your working on. Probably obvious to anyone who has done this before.

It's raining now so I'll have to wait until Sunday to finish this project off.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #28
littlegti

Today I did the front swaybar and finished off the front struts. I started repairing the curb damage on the rims. Should be able to paint them up tomorrow and then go get tires and an alignment on Monday.

It's still on jack stands so I'll post a few pics before I put the wheels back.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #29
littlegti

Finished things up last weekend and dropped off at the tire shop this week for new tires and an alignment. Got it back yesterday and it drove so nice to work (before it stalled due to a failing fuel pump). I think the FSDs are exactly what I wanted. You can feel the bumps but they are not jarring and it feels firmer than the stock sport suspension (yeah it was worn out).

Now I have to wait another week to enjoy. Ordered the fuel pump and a cam position sensor, but I can't pick them up until next Saturday.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #30
littlegti

Just to finish this thread off. I finally got my car back on the road yesterday. Got the fuel pump in and that helped but not completely. After I cleaned out the throttle body everything started running better. Then the rad fan went, oh, and the brake were done in the front.

Anyways it's finally back and I am totally enjoying the FSDs and Pilot Super Sports. Exactly what I was looking for...the little bumps I've been driving over for years now are so much better and it feels so much more planted on the corners. This has to be the most satisfying and challenging project I've done to date. Plus I had to buy many new tools to get it done which is always a bonus.

Couldn't have done this without all the help from the DIYs in this forum.