E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 03:36 AM   #1
saace7

My Ride: is for chicks
Coolant light only with heater?

As title says, my low coolant light comes on only when the heater is on but the car never over heats so thats not an issue. when i turn the heater off the light turns off about a minute after. Ive bought a hepu water pump, new thermostat and the bmw coolant to replace when i drain it. ill probably be doing this if the weather is good tomorrow. Question is will doing this with a proper flush could relieve me of this warning? Or is there bigger issues? Also sometimes when i have the A/c on and i turn on the vents to blow up on the front windshield its heat and not a/c like the other vents.

03 325i auto

Last edited by saace7; 01-13-2013 at 03:39 AM.
saace7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:41 AM   #2
xjbmx

My Ride: 325i/Cheerokee
I'd assume its the coolant filling the the heater core once you turn the heat on? You're probably just a tad low.

Take that with a gain of salt though since I haven't got a 3 yet haha

Last edited by xjbmx; 01-13-2013 at 03:43 AM.
xjbmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:45 AM   #3
xjbmx

My Ride: 325i/Cheerokee
Also the heat on the window with the a/c on is a sort of an "easter egg" its to keep your windscreen from fogging no matter what.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:32 AM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
For now, just add coolant until your 'dipstick' is between min and max when cold--50/50 mix--but if you're going to do a DIY soon, and your temps are warm, just plain distilled water is fine.

You're just low on coolant.

Also, if doing therm and wp and you don't know when ET was done, I'd recommend you do more. Certainly check pulleys and belts too.

If you get the upper and lower hoses, it will make your work more reliable, btw...there's an o-ring in your hoses that's pretty old now presumably.

I bet you're just a 1/2 low or something like that, but keep track of it...and pay attention to the level carefully until you do the diy so you know if you have a leak.

I don't know about the brand wp you have, but I hope the therm is wahler...and doesn't have an aluminum housing.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
saace7

My Ride: is for chicks
Thanks for all the info guys. Yea, my lower hose is good but im replacing my upper hose while doing therm and wp. im not sure about ET, might be a good idea to change that while i do the others too. all my other maintenance is good i just changed my pulleys out and belts and stuff. cars solid as hell! just had that one little warning but that is exactly what it probably is, just a little low on coolant.
saace7 is online now   Reply With Quote