E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
Variant

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Removing Lock Cylinder - "Blind Plug"

Someone broke off my lock cover (leaving portions of the plastic clips stuck in the lock cylinder) -- I've ordered a replacement but need to remove the lock cylinder so I can clear out the remnant plastic cilp parts.

From reading various threads (here) along with Bimmian's instructions for their keyhole cover, it seems you need to remove a plug in the side of the door to access a screw which keeps the cylinder in place.

See attachment for what I'm referring to.

However, for the life of me I can't figure out how to get it to come off and at this point probably need to replace it (appears to be P/N 51211975404) from prying at it.

Perhaps I need to remove the interior door cover to access it properly from the inside? Bimmian's instructions make it sound simple ("fold it back").

EDIT: 2001 330i
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	485950  

Last edited by Variant; 01-14-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
Variant

Bump. Anyone?
Old 01-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
boostntsi

My Ride: 330i
Put the your key in the lock cylinder and use it as leverage...move it side to side as you pull it out. That worked for me...
boostntsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Maybe these pictures will help you.
http://www.bmwgm5.com/lock_cylinder.htm

The sedan has the hole plug, but, the couple just have a rubber flap (the link above currently shows the sedan, but, will be updated soon to show the coupe)
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
Variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoh View Post
Maybe these pictures will help you.
http://www.bmwgm5.com/lock_cylinder.htm

The sedan has the hole plug, but, the couple just have a rubber flap (the link above currently shows the sedan, but, will be updated soon to show the coupe)
Great pics. Makes it look like it pops right off! Mine won't budge (have seriously chipped it trying too, haha).
Old 02-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
Its just a rubber plug, pop it out with a flathead.

Have a oil or coolant leak? Click here!:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...732&highlight=
ABS/DSC/Brake/Airbag light on?? Click here!:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...648&highlight=
330ciandr6 is offline   Reply With Quote