E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #21
jpbutler1983

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
The cart looks good.

But as you already figured, you will need about a foot of fuel injector hose(not regular fuse hose), 3 small hose clamps and about 6 inches of vacuum hose(forgot the dimension). All of it can be purchased in a local part store.

Plus you might want to pick up a pair of safety goggles(I got mine from harborfreight for $2) to remove the fuel filter. The fuel is going to spray on your face when you are spread eagle under the car, unless you have a lift. Petrol is not tasty nor is soothing in the eyes, hence the goggles is a must.

Turn off the car, remove the fuel filter fuse, crank till it doesnt start anymore. In short starve the lines off fuel. Open the fuel door. These are the steps you should take before working on the fuel filter. Of course, do not smoke or light anything nearby.

Make a note or take a picture of the original position of the fuel filter for the reference. Many here have mismatched the hoses and had no start problems.

Good luck
The starving the lines of petrol to reduce pressure would be more applicable if my pump weren't already bad. I am replacing that too. I figure I may as well do the filter since I'm dealing with fuel and can't say when the last time it was replaced... LOL

Last edited by jpbutler1983; 01-14-2013 at 02:16 PM.
jpbutler1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #22
jpbutler1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauch3 View Post
Just be prepared when you replace the pump for possible fuel level sensor problems. I am struggling with one now. Make sure that the level sensor arm moves up and down freely before for you install the new pump.
thanks for that... I will definitely check it out before sealing her up.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #23
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbutler1983 View Post
The starving the lines of petrol to reduce pressure would be more applicable if my pump weren't already bad. I am replacing that too. I figure I may as well do the filter since I'm dealing with fuel and can't say when the last time it was replaced... LOL
oops missed that. lol. Yah, you could skip all the garbage I wrote then.
But goggles is must, all the dust and what not thats going to fall on the face. The fuel line may still be pressurized from the engine side, so better be safe.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #24
jpbutler1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauch3 View Post
Just be prepared when you replace the pump for possible fuel level sensor problems. I am struggling with one now. Make sure that the level sensor arm moves up and down freely before for you install the new pump.

Where did you get your pump from? what kind is it?
Old 01-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #25
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
The cart looks good.

But as you already figured, you will need about a foot of fuel injector hose(not regular fuse hose), 3 small hose clamps and about 6 inches of vacuum hose(forgot the dimension). All of it can be purchased in a local part store.

Plus you might want to pick up a pair of safety goggles(I got mine from harborfreight for $2) to remove the fuel filter. The fuel is going to spray on your face when you are spread eagle under the car, unless you have a lift. Petrol is not tasty nor is soothing in the eyes, hence the goggles is a must.

Turn off the car, remove the fuel filter fuse, crank till it doesnt start anymore. In short starve the lines off fuel. Open the fuel door. These are the steps you should take before working on the fuel filter. Of course, do not smoke or light anything nearby.

Make a note or take a picture of the original position of the fuel filter for the reference. Many here have mismatched the hoses and had no start problems.

Good luck
Pfft, I use gasoline eyedrops for my morning fuzzy vision, WEAKLING!
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:52 PM   #26
tonyguns

My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
The cart looks good.

Turn off the car, remove the fuel filter fuse, crank till it doesnt start anymore. In short starve the lines off fuel.
as a long time mechanic servicing Honda, toyota, and Nissan products, I HIGHLY suggest NOT doing this to your car.

Why?

This purges fuel, wet, lubricating fuel from the injectors, which is VERY BAD for the injector, and is absolutely NOT necessary to change the fuel filter. The injector will run its self dry, which can cause the injector to lock up. IF you are lucky, the injector MAY unstick once you fire the car back up, but if it doesn't, you will need to replace the injector.

If you read some of the fuel filter change threads around here, you'll see where people have done this and complained that the car ran rough.

Educate yourself and don't just do something because someone around here wrote a How-To, and it has now become forum law.

Any reputable certified auto mechanic can verify this for you, I'm sure I'll be flamed for educating you against forum law.
tonyguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #27
jpbutler1983

Thank you for this.

I've done three fuel filter replacements and I've never run the lines dry...

I had no intention of doing this, but couldn't even if I wanted to. Fuel pump is dead.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #28
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Pulling the fuse doesn't work to run the lines dry anyway. I still got gasoline everywhere and the lines were still quite pressurized. Pop the lines off quick otherwise you get a narrow stream that'll shoot like 5 feet or straight into your face.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #29
jpbutler1983

All I have ever done is undo the gas cap to release any tank pressure and then start the job.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #30
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyguns View Post
as a long time mechanic servicing Honda, toyota, and Nissan products, I HIGHLY suggest NOT doing this to your car.

Why?

This purges fuel, wet, lubricating fuel from the injectors, which is VERY BAD for the injector, and is absolutely NOT necessary to change the fuel filter. The injector will run its self dry, which can cause the injector to lock up. IF you are lucky, the injector MAY unstick once you fire the car back up, but if it doesn't, you will need to replace the injector.

If you read some of the fuel filter change threads around here, you'll see where people have done this and complained that the car ran rough.

Educate yourself and don't just do something because someone around here wrote a How-To, and it has now become forum law.

Any reputable certified auto mechanic can verify this for you, I'm sure I'll be flamed for educating you against forum law.
Didnt know this.
When I did mine, I pulled the fuse and let it run till it stalled. And a couple of more cranks.
Of course, I followed the forum consensus.
I guess I was lucky then not to get the injectors dry.

Well learn new things everyday.
I hope I dont have to do it again because I really hated the petrol spraying on my face. If I have to, I will not run it till it stalls.

Thanks
Old 01-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #31
FenderGuy05
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbutler1983 View Post
well here is my order.

I went with BMAparts.com because their reliability was verifiable.

the specE30 coupon code saved me 10 bucks.

here is a screenshot of my cart.

am I missing anything?

Good call, never purchased parts off ebay, heard to many horror stories.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:23 PM   #32
jpbutler1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderGuy05 View Post

Good call, never purchased parts off ebay, heard to many horror stories.
Well it was going to be bmaparts'Ebay site... But I figured just go to the source
Old 01-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #33
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyguns View Post
Very wise advice. Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Miller
I just don't know what I'd do with 560 hp that doesn't involve getting arrested.
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #34
jpbutler1983

My fuel pump replacement:

On page 4 are the pictures...

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=965247

Last edited by jpbutler1983; 01-17-2013 at 08:31 AM.
jpbutler1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #35
Somac

My Ride: 2001 330xi
BMAparts had my fuel pump on my door 24 hours Door 24 hours after ordering. Used their free shipping too.!
Somac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #36
jpbutler1983

Yep. Used fee shipping and got it in 48 hours.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #37
mickey513

My Ride: e46
Kayser is OEM without the BMW logo, that's the only difference. It's identical to the fuel filter you buy at the dealership but no BMW logo.
mickey513 is offline   Reply With Quote