E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #21
taylor192

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by corNIC View Post
I guess in some ways it makes sense to just go ahead and replace them both since I'm going to have to pay for an alignment afterewards......not sure.
Replace them both. If one side is bad the other will go bad shortly and you'll have to pay for an alignment twice.

I've done inners and outers on different vehicles, its an easy repair yet requires some muscle if you don't have the correct tools. A ball joint separator is a wise investment of $10-20 if you cannot rent it for free.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #22
corNIC

My Ride: '01 M3, '06 x3
Yep I just purchased a tie rod puller for like 12 bucks on ebay. (figure it will come in handy). I'm still going to doublecheck before I order the parts like you said. I was just going to replace the entire tie rod instead of just the inner or outer as it seems like a much easier fix and I get more stuff replaced that way isn't that what you were suggesting in your previous post right?

Last edited by corNIC; 02-06-2013 at 11:49 AM.
corNIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #23
corNIC

Wow my dealer only wants 181 for both the left and right full tie rod parts. I'm not seeing them online anywhere for under 220. Didn't expect the dealer to be cheaper? lol
Old 02-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #24
corNIC

Okay so I did some due diligence before ordering parts. I don't think this is the tie rod at all now. Attached below is where I'm 95% sure the movement is coming from, I'm such a freaking noob I don't even know what this is called. I'm getting almost half inch of movement from this bolt here.

I guess this is called a bushing? lol

Also I'm pretty sure these springs are not stock O_o.

Last edited by corNIC; 02-06-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #25
taylor192

That's a ball joint on your lower control arm (LCA). Unfortunately you cannot just replace the ball joint and have to replace the entire LCA which is not cheap (~$300 per side) and again you might as well replace both sides.

The LCAs are not much more difficult that tie rods to change, just the nut for the inner ball joint is hard to access.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...&highlight=cab

Your sway bar is definitely not stock either, and the Eibach sticker means you're probably lowered too. All this stresses the suspension more, and thus you'll have to replace parts sooner. I would definitely recommend replacing both LCAs and not trying to save money cause they are ~$300 each.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #26
corNIC

Okay this is making sense now, so why can you not replace just the ball joint, just curious. Could I just take the wishbone thing into a shop and have them replace the bushing?

Last edited by corNIC; 02-06-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #27
taylor192

Quote:
Okay this is making sense now, so why can you not replace just the ball joint, just curious.
Sometimes you can, sometimes you cannot. The OEM LCAs cannot from what I've read. It sucks to throw away a perfectly fine LCA cause 2 ball joints cannot be replaced, yet it is what it is.

I would replace that asap. With the amount of movement you've described that ball joint is very bad. You don't want to see what happens if a ball joint pops out of its socket! Google it if you want to be convinced to fix this asap!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #28
corNIC

I think this is the part number I am looking for BMW # 31 12 2 229 454. Correct? Also am I going to need to go into a shop and have this pressed or can I truly do this in the ole driveway. By the way taylor192, thank you for you help so far much appreciated.

Last edited by corNIC; 02-06-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #29
taylor192

Quote:
I think this is the part number I am looking for BMW # 31 12 2 229 454. Correct? Also am I going to need to go into a shop and have this pressed or can I truly do this in the ole driveway. By the way taylor192, thank you for you help so far much appreciated.
Correct, this is what you want: http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-M3-...Lower/ES49171/

I don't understand what you mean by "pressed in". I think your lack of knowledge probably means you should have a shop do this for you, its too vital a component to screw up, especially if you get the LCA partially off you won't be able to throw in the towel and tow it to a shop.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #30
corNIC

Well I was wathcing a video of a guy replacing one of these a few days ago and he used a ball joint press at some point? I am guessing he purchased all the parts seperately. I'm assuming that one from ECS tuning comes pressed? Or maybe I am just totally off base here. And yes you are right I am quite a noob but if I don't ever try to fix myself I won't learn lol.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #31
taylor192

Quote:
Well I was wathcing a video of a guy replacing one of these a few days ago and he used a ball joint press at some point? I am guessing he purchased all the parts seperately. I'm assuming that one from ECS tuning comes pressed? Or maybe I am just totally off base here. And yes you are right I am quite a noob but if I don't ever try to fix myself I won't learn lol.
You'll need a ball joint puller, pickle fork, 3lb hammer and 3 prong puller to get the LCA off. The ball joint puller for the outer ball joint, the pickle fork and hammer for the inner ball joint, and the 3 prong puller for the FCAB if it's stuck.

A ball joint press could be used to remove the FCAB from the housing (aka lollipop) if you are replacing the FCAB at the same time. The ball joints cannot be removed from the OEM LCAs so I have no clue why else you'd need a ball joint press.

I think everyone should learn to DIY, yet some tasks are not cut out for noobs. If you're going to tackle this, have someone with experience assist you. Breaking stuck ball joints loose sucks, especially if you're afraid of using force like many noobs.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:05 PM   #32
corNIC

The good news is I still have my x5 to drive around if i totally botch this.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #33
corNIC

I found a shop here locally that will replace this for me for 150 dollars if i bring in the part. What a deal.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #34
DSilk56

My Ride: M-3 Convertible
Just remember that ball joints are like springs, shocks, brakes, and bushings. If you are replacing the one on one side, replace the other side as well.
DSilk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #35
corNIC

Well I got it replaced and the car is handling much better now and the wheel doesn't seem to want to fall off as well. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone here that gave me advice it's much appreciated.