E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #61
Jason5driver

My Ride: 2001 E39 525i sport
Ha-ha...
Awesome...!
I have always wanted to drive like that...
No doubt, the driver is very skilled/experience driver...
Great video...!
Thanks!
Jason
Old 01-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #62
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
There is something called being smooth, or having finesse. He doesn't have it.
+1. Lack of throttle control.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #63
Stankia

My Ride: 4.2FSI S-Line
You guys crack me up with your "finesse" and "throttle control" This isn't Formula 1. Have you never tried to spin your wheels for as long as possible, just for sh!ts and giggles? The whole idea of this video is to drive as crazy as possible, not to reach point B as fast as possible...
Old 01-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #64
floydlloyd85

My Ride: 2002 318 Ci coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
You guys crack me up with your "finesse" and "throttle control" This isn't Formula 1. Have you never tried to spin your wheels for as long as possible, just for sh!ts and giggles? The whole idea of this video is to drive as crazy as possible, not to reach point B as fast as possible...
I agree. It looks like a lot of fun.
floydlloyd85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #65
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Obviously I have (you should see me at autocrosses when i let loose), but if youre getting sideways just changing lanes because you treat the throttle like an on off switch, then there's something wrong

Last edited by dreamdrivedrift; 01-15-2013 at 03:39 PM.
dreamdrivedrift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #66
DangerousMind

My Ride: Sierra 1500 SLT
How could anybody say that is skilled driving? Because he didn't crash? He drives like a fvcking baboon on crack. It reminds me of the time I road in my buddies with 350hp and he switched highways at wot scared tge piss out of me felt as fast other bodies 500hp supra awesome car they are rare hopefully they will bring them back rx8s r ok but I don't like tge rear doors and odd shape and lackbof turbos.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #67
TiAg2247

My Ride: E39 M5 | E55 AMG
Quote:
That's not what they're getting at. We know he's trying to stay sideways - it's the manner he does it in. So erratic and just bad. Buddy of mine is arguably one of the best drivers I know of, we take random cars for sideways action frequently and not once do I flop around like a tag doll as passenger or the car struggle to keep balance.

Imola Red M5 | Imola Red Interior
GT Exhaust, Custom BC Coilovers, 19x10 + 19x11 Rial Dayonta Race, Michelin PSS

Daily: 335i M-Sport Alpine White / Coral Red
Cobb STG1+, FMIC, H&R Sport, BMW Perf Style 313

Past:
'04 E55 AMG
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
TiAg2247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #68
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergo_the_mule View Post
This. Those tires were bald as fvck
All other things being equal, bald tires = more grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdrivedrift View Post
Obviously I have (you should see me at autocrosses when i let loose), but if youre getting sideways just changing lanes because you treat the throttle like an on off switch, then there's something wrong
What's "wrong" is that he's got a bunch of cameras rolling and he needs to put on a show.

As was pointed out, drifting is for show, not for speed.

Yes
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #69
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
All other things being equal, bald tires = more grip.
...but how?

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #70
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergo_the_mule View Post
...but how?
Tread is for water, sand, snow, mud, etc.

On dry pavement, less tread produces more traction because the shorter tread lugs deflect less, making the contact patch more stable. Most tread lugs also get a little wider towards the bottom, so as they wear, there's actually more rubber and less air in the contact patch, which produces more grip.

There's a reason race cars run slicks in the dry. In fact, in the late 90s when F1 wanted to slow the cars down, they compelled them to run grooved tires to take grip away from them.

The caveat on this is "all other things being equal". While street tires don't harden due to heat cycles the way race tires do, the tread compound does get harder over time, especially with lots of sunlight exposure or spending a lot of time in contact with concrete. So it's possible that old, shallow-treaded tires would harden to the point where they have less grip than new, full-treaded tires. But my sense is that guy's tires don't last very long.

It's also assuming the tread is just worn down, but that the tires haven't been worn so much that the harder rubber of the undertread or the actual belts are exposed. Those don't do gription so good.

Again, this is only for dry pavement. Rain, snow, off road, etc requires tread in order to allow the tire to grip the surface underneath the crap.

Yes
Old 01-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #71
Fergo

My Ride: still a gay 135i
Quote:

On dry pavement, less tread produces more traction because the shorter tread lugs deflect less, making the contact patch more stable. Most tread lugs also get a little wider towards the bottom, so as they wear, there's actually more rubber and less air in the contact patch, which produces more grip.

There's a reason race cars run slicks in the dry. In fact, in the late 90s when F1 wanted to slow the cars down, they compelled them to run grooved tires to take grip away from them.

The caveat on this is "all other things being equal". While street tires don't harden due to heat cycles the way race tires do, the tread compound does get harder over time, especially with lots of sunlight exposure or spending a lot of time in contact with concrete. So it's possible that old, shallow-treaded tires would harden to the point where they have less grip than new, full-treaded tires. But my sense is that guy's tires don't last very long.

It's also assuming the tread is just worn down, but that the tires haven't been worn so much that the harder rubber of the undertread or the actual belts are exposed. Those don't do gription so good.

Again, this is only for dry pavement. Rain, snow, off road, etc requires tread in order to allow the tire to grip the surface underneath the crap.
Schooled, much appreciated

2 easy 2 make hp turbos
Fergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #72
Elvin123

My Ride: 328i
This guy has been playing too much gta
Old 01-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #73
Stankia

My Ride: 4.2FSI S-Line
He spins tires in 3rd because they are overheated, don't you guys play Forza? That said, the S38B38 is a very potent engine, very unappreciated here in the US, probably because of its rarity.

Last edited by Stankia; 01-15-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Stankia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #74
Skazzy

My Ride: 111i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg2247 View Post
We know he's trying to stay sideways - it's the manner he does it in. So erratic and just bad. Buddy of mine is arguably one of the best drivers I know of, we take random cars for sideways action frequently and not once do I flop around like a tag doll as passenger or the car struggle to keep balance.
After reading your post, the following image came to mind

Old 01-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #75
Hamsocne

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrept View Post
Am I the only one who noticed the camera angles? This was not just some guy dicking around on public roads with those shots. There is more to this than there appears.

I just thought he had a few friends and followed another one while he made laps. But, after watching the Ronin clip maybe they were filming Russkie and Hutch.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:44 PM   #76
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAg2247 View Post
That's not what they're getting at. We know he's trying to stay sideways - it's the manner he does it in. So erratic and just bad. Buddy of mine is arguably one of the best drivers I know of, we take random cars for sideways action frequently and not once do I flop around like a tag doll as passenger or the car struggle to keep balance.
Exactly. I've been in the car with people drifting sideways and fast and quite scary but they weren't thrashing like this guy and in the other lane making people stop to avoid getting hit. There is no reason for him to smash it into gear, turn the wheel so jerky. He's just completely manhandling the car and looks like he's trying to break it.

I mean thats fine if he wants to do that, but to endanger so many people in the process is complete idiocy.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #77
BWOODM3

My Ride: 2002 M3 convertible
Haha!
BWOODM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:18 AM   #78
k2pilot

My Ride: Z4MC & B8 S4
While the guy was definitely driving recklessly and like an idiot, I think some part of his apparent jerkiness is the shitty quality of the roads, though the guy is also by no means a smooth operator.

Quote:

Aren't you a lawyer or something? I find your span of knowledge peculiar.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:40 AM   #79
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post
While the guy was definitely driving recklessly and like an idiot, I think some part of his apparent jerkiness is the shitty quality of the roads, though the guy is also by no means a smooth operator.

This guy knows a lot about everything.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:58 AM   #80
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2pilot View Post

I'm an out-of-work banker with diverse interests and an appetite for learning stuffs.

However, before I was seduced by the dark side and became a banker, I did work in the performance and racing auto parts business (where tires were a big part of our biz) for over a decade. So it just so happens that this subject was squarely in my wheelhouse.

Does peculiar turn you on?

Yes