E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #1
aahmed2016

My Ride: 2003 330i ZSP/CP/PP
550$ Coilovers?

Guys, I was browsing, and came across these: 520$ SHIPPED coilovers. Has anyone used these? They come with a "One Year no question" warranty, so I think they might be pretty good. Opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Spends $2000 on car DVD + stereo -> Running 25000 mile oil changes and 87 gas with blown shocks
aahmed2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Zell

My Ride: Has no throttle
I'm sure they're made of the highest quality tinfoil.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
+1

Seriously, no. Spend your money on QUALITY suspension kits.
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
aahmed2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
I'm sure they're made of the highest quality tinfoil.
Can I please sig this?

Quote:
Spends $2000 on car DVD + stereo -> Running 25000 mile oil changes and 87 gas with blown shocks
Old 01-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
HallisterJ1

My Ride: 2001 325i, 2003 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aahmed2016 View Post
Guys, I was browsing, and came across these: 520$ SHIPPED coilovers. Has anyone used these? They come with a "One Year no question" warranty, so I think they might be pretty good. Opinions?
For the sake of not shitting on you, if you're going to go cheap. Go get raceland coilovers, even though they're dirt cheap, I know multiple people that run the setup and are happy with it.

I'd get them myself, but I plan on tracking my car so I'm going with something a little nicer (D2's/Konis/JRZ/AST/Ohlins).
Old 01-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
dreyo27

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Get street edge, cheaper, many of us use them, and like them. Including me. They are not hard, mostly on the soft side. Great custumer service. Initial issues of spring chatter are now resolved.
Or get a used set from the classifieds section
Old 01-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
jcns

My Ride: California
just one question. Why only 1 year warranty?
jcns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #8
CoupeMagic323ci

My Ride: 00 323ci
have been looking for feedback on StreetEdge coiovers. anyone? OP check those out
Old 01-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #9
EverydayGetaway

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
H&R cupkit is $600 on tirerack...
Old 01-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Drop Engineering Street Function Pro Sport Racing
when all of these words are combined into one product, then you know it's got to be good
Old 01-14-2013, 10:03 PM   #11
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
if you want cheap coils get RaceLands, plenty people run them on here. they have a 2 or 3 yr warranty i think.

but seriously. like SERIOUSLY, just save up for another couple months and go for something reputable with a good warranty. I have Status Gruppe Coilovers that come with a limited lifetime warranty (as long as your the owner, they're in warranty.). They aren't a name brand company yet, but they came with that lifetime warranty.

Last edited by rcsummers; 01-14-2013 at 10:03 PM.
rcsummers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #12
shwagon

My Ride: 325it 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
when all of these words are combined into one product, then you know it's got to be good
I lol'd
My Gun Builds: AR-15, GSG-522-SD, Saiga 308
shwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:41 AM   #13
stookin

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330i
racelands for low!
stookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:44 AM   #14
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
For the same exact price

FK Streetlines. I ran em for a while and had little to complain about.

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:59 AM   #15
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
With a name like "Drop Engineering Street Function Pro Sport Racing Coilovers", what could go wrong? It sounds like some Chinese guy pulled every term he ever saw associated with cheap eBay coilovers, and added them all into one name.*
You seem to think that the "One Year, No Questions Asked" warranty makes them seem more reliable. You are assuming that they will still be around in 6 months. They also state that "DE shall not be responsible for damages to its product or injury to persons using the product. DE shall not be responsible for injury or harm to persons or property caused by persons or vehicles using our products". I don't think I have ever seen that particular disclaimer used for Koni's or Bilsteins.
Why are you even looking at suspension products on eBay? Is that really the way you want to go with your car? Why do you need coilovers? Will you be lowering your car foor weekend Autocross? Because you won't last a weekend on these gems. Or, are you looking at them because that is what everyone puts on their cars? Do you really need to be able to raise and lower your car? Or, are you going to drop it, and leave it, like 90% of the people with coilovers? If so, just get some shocks and lowering springs from a normal, brand name manufacturer, and leave this kind of junk alone.
Let me make this simple - if you need coilovers for weekend racing, then you would know that this is crap. So, I am guessing that you just want a drop, which you could do with normal struts and springs. Don't get hung up on the terminology. Coilovers sound cooler, but not if they are Chinese crap. If you install this sh!t, or anything less than a reputable, brand name coilover kit on your car, you are going to ruin the handling on a car that is famous for its handling capability. It should be obvious that we are not going to win any HP contests. Hell, a new Camry has more HP than a top of the line e46. But the one thing we have is the ability to hold the road like nothing else out there. The e46 is still the benchmark for suspension design. The lead engineer for the new Cadillac CTS admitted that their design goal was to match the e46 suspension (C/D Magazine). They are still trying to match a 14 year old BMW's suspension capability and feel. So why would you ruin it with this crap?
I am done with my rant now. I also have the feeling you are still going to bolt on some eBay sh!t to your car, and I am just wasting my time here. Maybe I am wrong, and you will ask for some real suspension advice, and we can tell you how you can get a decent strut/shock/spring set up for about $700 - $900 (Maybe less, if we can find a sale!), that won't ruin the amazing German engineering you are riding around on.
If you want to have a car that still drives and performs like a BMW should, you need to stop shopping for anything on eBay, unless you are searching for Genuine BMW parts.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:22 AM   #16
aahmed2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
With a name like "Drop Engineering Street Function Pro Sport Racing Coilovers", what could go wrong? It sounds like some Chinese guy pulled every term he ever saw associated with cheap eBay coilovers, and added them all into one name.*
You seem to think that the "One Year, No Questions Asked" warranty makes them seem more reliable. You are assuming that they will still be around in 6 months. They also state that "DE shall not be responsible for damages to its product or injury to persons using the product. DE shall not be responsible for injury or harm to persons or property caused by persons or vehicles using our products". I don't think I have ever seen that particular disclaimer used for Koni's or Bilsteins.
Why are you even looking at suspension products on eBay? Is that really the way you want to go with your car? Why do you need coilovers? Will you be lowering your car foor weekend Autocross? Because you won't last a weekend on these gems. Or, are you looking at them because that is what everyone puts on their cars? Do you really need to be able to raise and lower your car? Or, are you going to drop it, and leave it, like 90% of the people with coilovers? If so, just get some shocks and lowering springs from a normal, brand name manufacturer, and leave this kind of junk alone.
Let me make this simple - if you need coilovers for weekend racing, then you would know that this is crap. So, I am guessing that you just want a drop, which you could do with normal struts and springs. Don't get hung up on the terminology. Coilovers sound cooler, but not if they are Chinese crap. If you install this sh!t, or anything less than a reputable, brand name coilover kit on your car, you are going to ruin the handling on a car that is famous for its handling capability. It should be obvious that we are not going to win any HP contests. Hell, a new Camry has more HP than a top of the line e46. But the one thing we have is the ability to hold the road like nothing else out there. The e46 is still the benchmark for suspension design. The lead engineer for the new Cadillac CTS admitted that their design goal was to match the e46 suspension (C/D Magazine). They are still trying to match a 14 year old BMW's suspension capability and feel. So why would you ruin it with this crap?
I am done with my rant now. I also have the feeling you are still going to bolt on some eBay sh!t to your car, and I am just wasting my time here. Maybe I am wrong, and you will ask for some real suspension advice, and we can tell you how you can get a decent strut/shock/spring set up for about $700 - $900 (Maybe less, if we can find a sale!), that won't ruin the amazing German engineering you are riding around on.
If you want to have a car that still drives and performs like a BMW should, you need to stop shopping for anything on eBay, unless you are searching for Genuine BMW parts.
Honestly, I was thinking to just get lowering springs, but I was surprised by the price, thanks for the feedback, and I'll look into RaceLand and the one Rich mentioned.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #17
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Honestly, I was thinking to just get lowering springs, but I was surprised by the price, thanks for the feedback, and I'll look into RaceLand and the one Rich mentioned.
Great idea! And honestly, not the answer I was expecting. You may be OK after all!
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #18
Kris@TSS
Sponsor

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i
If you are looking to stay within that price range then take a look at our Street Edge Coilovers. There is a review thread in the suspension section. We have a 2 year warranty and a 45 day money back guarantee
5654 E. Westover #112
Fresno, CA 93727
1-888-230-1288
Kris@TSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #19
rcsummers

My Ride: M3
Quote:
good plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
Great idea! And honestly, not the answer I was expecting. You may be OK after all!
not used to that kind of response on this forum. usually people want cheap as possible
Old 01-16-2013, 06:07 AM   #20
aahmed2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsummers View Post
good plan.

not used to that kind of response on this forum. usually people want cheap as possible
lol, Do it right or not at all right? E46F taught me that! Thanks for the help guys.

Quote: