E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
aahmed2016

My Ride: 2003 330i ZSP/CP/PP
LED Headlights?

I found these LED headlights. I currently have a 6000K R1ce tinted headlight which has horrid light output, my question is, does anyone have experience with these? what do you guys think about them? I could car less about the color, its just the light output and my wallet I'm worried about. Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Spends $2000 on car DVD + stereo -> Running 25000 mile oil changes and 87 gas with blown shocks
aahmed2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #2
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
Light output with LEDs is terrible. Don't waste your money. If you wanted to use them in a show-only car, then sure... go for it. Since you care about light output, you're better off retrofitting HID projectors and buying some new headlight lenses to get rid of the tint.

330i/Ci Bang for the Buck Horsepower Guide
Want 5% off any BimmerBrakes.com purchase? PM me for details!
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #3
aahmed2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
Light output with LEDs is terrible. Don't waste your money. If you wanted to use them in a show-only car, then sure... go for it. Since you care about light output, you're better off retrofitting HID projectors and buying some new headlight lenses to get rid of the tint.
I mean the bulbs are tinted blue, not the headlight lens, and I'm looking for something cheap lol, HID's are great with light output, but I have standard 'gens and I don't want to be blinding people.

Quote:
Spends $2000 on car DVD + stereo -> Running 25000 mile oil changes and 87 gas with blown shocks
Old 01-15-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
rizwan1377

My Ride: 04 M56,LC 100,RX300
Send a message via AIM to rizwan1377 Send a message via MSN to rizwan1377 Send a message via Yahoo to rizwan1377
It is easy and cheap to retrofit projectors.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Bimmer App
Old 01-15-2013, 07:35 AM   #5
choxor

My Ride: JDM
There is no super cheap good solution for headlights. Save up for a proper retrofit. It's not that much money. Everything I have read says that those SMD bulbs have crap output.

In the meantime get rid of those blue bulbs and get some regular ones. Their light output is terrible, they're annoying as hell to other drivers, and they make you look cheap.

Last edited by choxor; 01-15-2013 at 07:35 AM.
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #6
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
just get regular bulbs if you can't afford a budget retrofit.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #7
aahmed2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
There is no super cheap good solution for headlights. Save up for a proper retrofit. It's not that much money. Everything I have read says that those SMD bulbs have crap output.

In the meantime get rid of those blue bulbs and get some regular ones. Their light output is terrible, they're annoying as hell to other drivers, and they make you look cheap.
+1 Thanks, I'll get to it

Quote:
Old 01-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #8
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
just get regular bulbs if you can't afford a budget retrofit.
+1 Buy the specified bulb size. Sylvanias are great!
WDE46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
college46

My Ride: Alpine White
+1 on halogen sylvania ultra brights, mine are regular halogen and while not as good as HID projectors, still very respectable and better than my previous car.

I am in your same shoes as I am currently waiting to do either the FXR or Morimoto projector retrofit. Total cost is like 200 dollars last I checked. Heres a great DIY for Projector retrofit to give you a good idea of what you need to do it parts wise along with mechanical inclination (none).

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=840919

Goood luck
college46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #10
choxor

My Ride: JDM
I had morimotos on my previous E46. Light output and cutoff were both excellent.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:04 AM   #11
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by aahmed2016 View Post
I found these LED headlights. I currently have a 6000K R1ce tinted headlight which has horrid light output, my question is, does anyone have experience with these? what do you guys think about them? I could car less about the color, its just the light output and my wallet I'm worried about. Thanks guys
For nine bucks a piece, I'm hoping someone will buy them and post photos of the light output/pattern etc. Just curious as to what they look like. I know some new models have the LED headlights (6 Series) but it's difficult to imagine off the shelf LED bulbs being able match the output of regular bulbs.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #12
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Those won't do ANYTHING at all.

Sell your lights, buy OEM projector headlights or get OEM halogen lights and retrofit in Morimotos
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote