E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
feltsandel

My Ride: 1998 540i, 1999 323i
Help! Car automatically starts with the key in the #2 position

I have been having a problem with my manual-2000-323i.
I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this happening.
The problem is--With the key in the #2 position, I will push the clutch in and the car automatically starts/cranks without me actually twisting the key to the crank position. If the car stalls it will just start right back up without me touching the key. I need to pass inspection soon and I think this issue might dampen my prospects. Thanks for any input.
feltsandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #2
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Ign switch is a possiblity. Really strange that it starts up again if it dies, though.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
That's what you call remote start!

No, most probably a bad ignition switch.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
It's a rare feature called Comfort Access I, offered only on a small number of E46s sold stateside.. Enjoy!!

E92 convert. BMW Fanatic.
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
feltsandel

Yeah, remote start! It did have me wondering if there had been some weird mod I haven't found yet. I acquired this car kind of recently and there are few mods done on it. I am about to swap a good ignition switch from a e39 and hope that works. i will post back soon
Old 01-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
feltsandel

Comfort access? any way to easily check if I have it?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #7
feltsandel

Turns out, the ignition switch was indeed the culprit. It seems that it was also causing some erratic grinding sounds and my peake reader malfunction. Thanks for the quick responses.
Cheers
Old 01-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
You didn't mention grinding--that implies your starter was probably engaged all the time. don't be surprised if it fails soon.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
You should be happy about it starting. Most folks posting complain about not being able to start their car.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
feltsandel

Yeah, no kidding. I have definitely been on the end where my car wont start. And yeah, i think the old starter might have gotten a bit over worked.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #11
willsbma

My Ride: 99 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
You didn't mention grinding--that implies your starter was probably engaged all the time. don't be surprised if it fails soon.
Starter most likely only came on when he pressed the clutch in, possibly while shifting?

I have P.A. Soft and a 20-pin adapter. Only used it a few times but pm me if you need anything coded!
willsbma is offline   Reply With Quote