E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #21
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Dammit, I need to learn how to weld. Like seriously need to learn.

Great work!
Old 02-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #22
PITT M3 RR

My Ride: E46 M3
Thanks guys and yea I've taken my time. I want to do it right. I'm on storage insurance for another month or so anyway no no need to rush.

I'd def work a deal if someone wanted this done - these cars are getting older forsure.

UUC SSK / AFE STG1 Intake / AKG Red Motor mounts / AKG Red Tranny mounts / AKG Red Subframe bushings / AKG Red Differential bushings / AKG Red RTABS / TMS Subframe reinforcement / Custom in trunk subframe structural brace / Bilstein PSS10's / Ground control camber plates / Turner RSM
PITT M3 RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:48 AM   #23
PITT M3 RR

UUC SSK / AFE STG1 Intake / AKG Red Motor mounts / AKG Red Tranny mounts / AKG Red Subframe bushings / AKG Red Differential bushings / AKG Red RTABS / TMS Subframe reinforcement / Custom in trunk subframe structural brace / Bilstein PSS10's / Ground control camber plates / Turner RSM
Old 02-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #24
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
You have done amazing work to your ///M so far! Very impressed by your solution for rear subframe support! subbd...
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l 365AutoSports one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #25
PITT M3 RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cak323i View Post
You have done amazing work to your ///M so far! Very impressed by your solution for rear subframe support! subbd...
Thanks man, it a good release inbetween work haha I get to relax while banging my hands and head all over a BMW go figure..

Nice progress....

PICTURES
Rebult that torn inner halfshaft on the passenger side with new grease etc...Antiseize on splines. This was a ***** to get out of the hub, so we'll make sure that doesnt happen again.

RSM reinforcement and frame gasket for my turner RSM's on Pss10!!

PSS10s on after torque specs checked and brakes reinstalled.

Motormounts installed...what a ***** this was. I drove to harbor freight in the middle of the job for the on fender engine hoist, they were sold out....MFer! So I brought out the big engine lift and hoisted it that way, with a jack under the oil pan and about 4 jackstands around me for safety.

passenger mount installed properly with the heatshield in there to protect from the cats

Driverside

OUT with the old and IN with the new...this winter 13', I am going to tear it down and replace all the control arm bushings etc....they were all still good, but I figure its a good next winter project.

The motor mounts and Guibe showed minumal wear, but wear non the less of 109K. the tranny mounts were beat and the Diff bushings were complete toast. The RTABS were actually Powerflex with a few miles on them, so Ill be cleaning those for resale.

Things not pictured...I Re-RTV's the welds and floor around the TMSreinforcement kit...and I also re soldered the connection for the sensor that mounts to the passenger upper control arm.

Thats it for now...more to come soon

Old 03-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #26
cak323i
Modded ///Member

My Ride: ///M3 & 330i ZHP
Damn....I wish I was located close to where you are at....I'd pay you for your time... Keep up the work....very impressed!

edit... was just thinking by the time you're done, your ///M will be better than new!
2004 TiAg ///M l OEM CSL interior door panels l OEM CSL bootlid l Scorza CSL center console | Navigation | LCM s/w 4.5 triple blink | OEM black interior retrofit | BC Racing BR Coilovers l BMW Performance Carbon Fiber strut bar & Short Shift Kit l Gruppe M carbon kevlar CAI l BMW iPod Integration l Alu Tech interior Trim l Lit F10 ///M5 Shift Knob l Umnitza Orion V4 A/E's l 365AutoSports one piece cf CSL lip | BBS CH & ARC-8 wheel sets

Last edited by cak323i; 03-12-2013 at 12:32 PM.
cak323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #27
PITT M3 RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cak323i View Post
Damn....I wish I was located close to where you are at....I'd pay you for your time... Keep up the work....very impressed!

edit... was just thinking by the time you're done, your ///M will be better than new!
So tell me when, Ill drop a week of vacation and well get your car done! Even yet, once all the college kids leave my town is pretty quiet. I relax all night and can work on cars all day long till work again. Not a bad deal.

Haha and yea thats the plan. Once I toss the front suspension in and get an alignment, that is it for me until this winter. Its not big deal to tear into the car so I am hoping as the car progresses it gets better and better.

Plans for this next winter are turbotoys upgraded hub, trailing arm refresh, and cooling system. Along with all fluids aside from oil changes which will be performed at regular intervals.

Cant wait to get on the road

Old 03-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #28
Eisenheim

My Ride: 2002 PY E46 M3
Send a message via Skype™ to Eisenheim
So I've been following your thread for awhile, and I took your design for the subframe trunk brace...and I can report back (although mine is slightly different) that yes, indeed it adds quite a bit of stiffness haha. Here's my thread if you wanna check it out. The damage was pretty intense....just over $4k intense...haha
Eisenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #29
PITT M3 RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenheim View Post
So I've been following your thread for awhile, and I took your design for the subframe trunk brace...and I can report back (although mine is slightly different) that yes, indeed it adds quite a bit of stiffness haha. Here's my thread if you wanna check it out. The damage was pretty intense....just over $4k intense...haha
Checked out your thread and holy hell that was bad...I cant believe it didnt just rip out of there. Also, thats cool your adapted my design! Glad I could help. I feel like I wont have to worry about anything anymore back there...and if for some reason something moves, I have a few modifictaions in mind for the next time I drop the subframe, but I should see easy another 100K problem free now.

I am going to write up my thoughts on the brace and reinforcement soon to help other members out. Alot know, but there are alot that arent sure of the entire working.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #30
Eisenheim

My Ride: 2002 PY E46 M3
Send a message via Skype™ to Eisenheim
I did like the design a lot. It made a lot more sense to spread the upward force out throughout all the welded areas, instead of using the mason cage design, only 4 points of contact to the car as opposed to constant contact via weld. I also took a leap of faith and bought some rear chassis braces that bolt to the underside of the car, trying to get rid of as much flex as possible without using a cage. I'll see how much they actually do when I get them in and installed, and since they come in two pieces (one for each side of the car) i'll see if having them welded together and throwing some more bars in there will help at all. I want very little, if any flexing in the rear if I can help it.
Eisenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #31
PITT M3 RR

Pss10 fronts on...I set then all the way down but obviously can play with them before alignment. All I have to do is order exhaust gaskets and I'm good to go!

Old 04-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #32
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
please tell me about the subframe bushings, if you were gonna DD the car and not track it at all, would you run them? Do they make a softer version?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #33
PITT M3 RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snik View Post
please tell me about the subframe bushings, if you were gonna DD the car and not track it at all, would you run them? Do they make a softer version?
I fired the car up on jack stands yesterday for the first time with everything installed and I had a decent amount of NVH...I mean, I was ear to ear smiles BC thats the feel I want and I am not going daily with this. I can take another car if I want to just relax.

AKG makes a 90A (black) which is softer...if you're worried I'd go with those...but I didn't want any play anywhere and decided to go just short of aluminum with the 75D.

I will report back though when I finally go for a ride.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #34
Snik
OEM ///Member

NICE, thanks... im convinced the bushing design is a part of the problem as it creates pressure points rather than spreading the load over its entire surface.

im thinking OE diff bushings, and poly subframe bushings with OE tranny and slightly stiffer motor mounts.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:23 AM   #35
PITT M3 RR

Quote:
NICE, thanks... im convinced the bushing design is a part of the problem as it creates pressure points rather than spreading the load over its entire surface.

im thinking OE diff bushings, and poly subframe bushings with OE tranny and slightly stiffer motor mounts.
For diff bushings...Id go aftermarket. Seeing the way these fail is what I believe causes the subframe floor issues. The repeated flexion they allow when dying is what does it. If ANYTHING, thats the one thing Id go after market on.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:58 AM   #36
Snik
OEM ///Member

But I'm thinking stiffer diff and subframe bushings would transfer a LOT more noise and vibration.

I had Meyle HD diff bushings put in my non M and they were still solid when I sold the car. But we're still rubber bushings.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:24 PM   #37
PITT M3 RR

Quote:
But I'm thinking stiffer diff and subframe bushings would transfer a LOT more noise and vibration.

I had Meyle HD diff bushings put in my non M and they were still solid when I sold the car. But we're still rubber bushings.
It's true solid bushings will transfer more force, but the end result is that it should come out at the wheels as torque.

It's the repeated movement of rubber bushings when under load and then out of load and then back under again, that pound on the subframe floor. BUT i see you're a vert so I think you'll be ok with what ever option you choose.

Last edited by PITT M3 RR; 04-04-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:30 PM   #38
PITT M3 RR

Forgot to put these in for documentation, 2 layers of RTV for rust /water protection.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #39
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITT M3 RR View Post
It's true solid bushings will transfer more force, but the end result is that it should come out at the wheels as torque.

It's the repeated movement of rubber bushings when under load and then out of load and then back under again, that pound on the subframe floor. BUT i see you're a vert so I think you'll be ok with what ever option you choose.
hmmm, yeah i agree the give the bushings allow hurts it, but thats why i wanna go polly on the subframe and rubber on the diff...

oh dont fret, verts arent exempt from the failure, theyre just way more rare.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:19 AM   #40
PITT M3 RR

Few hours today got everything buttoned up, exhaust with 2 new crush gaskets and hardware.

Idiot me, forgot the heat shield first time around so I had to drop the whole thing right after tightening the last bolt haha. Next I eyed up the toe as best I could for a test drive this weekend. cant wait.

Little tip...these WALKER gaskets will work for our cats to section two

Last edited by PITT M3 RR; 04-10-2013 at 04:21 AM.