E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 01:25 AM   #1
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member
 
HacksawMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,101
My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Does my headlight pattern look weird?

Looks like I have a "hole" in my projector H7 headlight pattern.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Headlights with fogs.jpg
Views:	968
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	485127   Click image for larger version

Name:	headlights.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	485128  

Last edited by HacksawMark; 01-08-2013 at 01:35 AM. Reason: spelling and additional info
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:27 AM   #2
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,906
My Ride: M54B30
That's not the only thing wrong with your pattern. Atrocious to say the least. Aftermarket, correct?
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:30 AM   #3
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member
 
HacksawMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,101
My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
That's not the only thing wrong with your pattern. Atrocious to say the least. Aftermarket, correct?
No I don't believe so. I think they're the original lights that came with the car. I did change bulbs when I bought the car but I'm not sure the bulbs are causing that. Guess I could always swap the bulbs and find out.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:43 AM   #4
Mango
A full five stars, son
 
Mango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,906
My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksawmark View Post
No I don't believe so. I think they're the original lights that came with the car. I did change bulbs when I bought the car but I'm not sure the bulbs are causing that. Guess I could always swap the bulbs and find out.
That doesn't look like factory projection. theres hotspots and flare galore. did you put an hid kit in there or something?
__________________
A lifetime free of problems if you follow my guides
Cooling | Maintenance | Suspension | Vacuum | Supreme Reliability | Details

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:50 AM   #5
330i ZHP
Registered User
 
330i ZHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 21,800
My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
that is really bad - as said, the entire light pattern is screwed up
__________________
/_________\
OO=[][]=OO
330i ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:59 AM   #6
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member
 
HacksawMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,101
My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
That doesn't look like factory projection. theres hotspots and flare galore. did you put an hid kit in there or something?
No HID kit. The headlights are not HIDs, they're H7 bulbs in non-xenon projectors.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:11 AM   #7
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member
 
HacksawMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,101
My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
I definitely want to upgrade my headlights to something better because the ones I have now are crap. I'm real leery about aftermarket lights though. I may just breakdown and get OEM replacements.

Last edited by HacksawMark; 01-08-2013 at 02:11 AM.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 06:44 AM   #8
WDE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Old Greg's Cavern
Posts: 9,113
My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
I would try taking them apart and inspecting it. If you are going to get new ones then you might as well try it. You'll have to put them in the oven to release the seal for the clear lense though.

Have you tried moving the lights through their various ranges of adjustments? I mean full left, full right, all the way up and down. Does that blank spot stay in the same place?

Last edited by WDE46; 01-08-2013 at 06:44 AM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:47 AM   #9
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member
 
HacksawMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,101
My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
I would try taking them apart and inspecting it. If you are going to get new ones then you might as well try it. You'll have to put them in the oven to release the seal for the clear lense though.

Have you tried moving the lights through their various ranges of adjustments? I mean full left, full right, all the way up and down. Does that blank spot stay in the same place?
I have made some adjustments; the left side was was too low to begin with. I can only adjust them up and down, no side to side adjustment. When I adjusted them, the blank spot moved with the adjustment. I'm not going to go the oven route to unseal the lenses; I have trouble burning cookies when I bake.

Last edited by HacksawMark; 01-08-2013 at 07:49 AM. Reason: more info
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:01 AM   #10
jfoj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fairfax, VA USA
Posts: 10,883
My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
There should be both vertical and horizontal adjustment for each light assembly. You should have 2 adjuster screws for each side of the car.

You should also back at least 20-25 feet back away from the wall/door and take another picture of your pattern as it is sometimes hard to see the pattern up so close.

Even non HID projectors have the sheet metal shields in the bottom of the projector to control the upper level cut off to with the stair steps. At least quality projectors have this feature.

Make sure that your headlight assemblies have not been swapped out with some less than quality aftermarket assemblies. Look for the letters Depo somewhere in the plastic lens, this would indicate they are not original headlights.

I see you have a 2006 coupe, I know HID was as option as my 2006 Vert has Active Bi-Xenon that actually turn with the steering, not sure what the standard headlights were for 2006 coupes?
__________________
Solve your misfires, lean codes, rough idle - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=897616

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #11
choxor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,493
My Ride: JDM
Holy crap. Do you have pics of your headlights? We can probably tell if they're OEM or not.
__________________
choxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:04 AM   #12
WDE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Old Greg's Cavern
Posts: 9,113
My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
There should be both vertical and horizontal adjustment for each light assembly. You should have 2 adjuster screws for each side of the car.

You should also back at least 20-25 feet back away from the wall/door and take another picture of your pattern as it is sometimes hard to see the pattern up so close.

Even non HID projectors have the sheet metal shields in the bottom of the projector to control the upper level cut off to with the stair steps. At least quality projectors have this feature.

Make sure that your headlight assemblies have not been swapped out with some less than quality aftermarket assemblies. Look for the letters Depo somewhere in the plastic lens, this would indicate they are not original headlights.

I see you have a 2006 coupe, I know HID was as option as my 2006 Vert has Active Bi-Xenon that actually turn with the steering, not sure what the standard headlights were for 2006 coupes?
The standard lights are H7 size bulb halogen projectors with halogen dish highbeams.

You are correct that there is a left/right and up/down adjustment. The left/right adjustment is nearer to the front quarter panel of the car than the up/down adjuster.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #13
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member
 
HacksawMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,101
My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
There should be both vertical and horizontal adjustment for each light assembly. You should have 2 adjuster screws for each side of the car.

You should also back at least 20-25 feet back away from the wall/door and take another picture of your pattern as it is sometimes hard to see the pattern up so close.

Even non HID projectors have the sheet metal shields in the bottom of the projector to control the upper level cut off to with the stair steps. At least quality projectors have this feature.

Make sure that your headlight assemblies have not been swapped out with some less than quality aftermarket assemblies. Look for the letters Depo somewhere in the plastic lens, this would indicate they are not original headlights.

I see you have a 2006 coupe, I know HID was as option as my 2006 Vert has Active Bi-Xenon that actually turn with the steering, not sure what the standard headlights were for 2006 coupes?
I will take new photos and post. Will also examine the lenses again to see if they are depos. Not sure why the previous owner would have switched out oem projectors for Depo projectors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Holy crap. Do you have pics of your headlights? We can probably tell if they're OEM or not.
I will also take photos of the headlights and post.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #14
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member
 
HacksawMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,101
My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
The standard lights are H7 size bulb halogen projectors with halogen dish highbeams.

You are correct that there is a left/right and up/down adjustment. The left/right adjustment is nearer to the front quarter panel of the car than the up/down adjuster.
Any idea where I can get a photo or illustration of that adjustment?
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #15
WDE46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Old Greg's Cavern
Posts: 9,113
My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksawmark View Post
Any idea where I can get a photo or illustration of that adjustment?
I can make one. Thank god ECS Tuning has the best part photos in the business.



For the left/right one you can turn the grey screw on top or that black one on the back. While it's on the car you can only turn the grey one.

Last edited by WDE46; 01-08-2013 at 08:56 AM. Reason: got directions backwards
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #16
jfoj
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fairfax, VA USA
Posts: 10,883
My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacksawmark View Post
Not sure why the previous owner would have switched out oem projectors for Depo projectors...
Accident?? fogged/yellowed lens??
__________________
Solve your misfires, lean codes, rough idle - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=897616

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #17
BimmersGarage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dallas, TX (USA)
Posts: 2,191
My Ride: E46 330i
Send a message via Skype™ to BimmersGarage
Is there any damage/scuffs on the reflectors? Post pics of actual headlights..
BimmersGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #18
trizzuth
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Rondoland
Posts: 5,136
My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Looks to me like a half burned out bulb issue making that weird shadowy circle area.

I have DEPO projectors and there is the metal thing on the back of the glass projector sphere that has the stair steps that flips itself upside down when light is passed through the sphere.
__________________
trizzuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #19
HacksawMark
OEM ///Member
 
HacksawMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,101
My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
I can make one. Thank god ECS Tuning has the best part photos in the business.



For the left/right one you can turn the grey screw on top or that black one on the back. While it's on the car you can only turn the grey one.
My headlights don't have the adjustment knobs. I will post photos when I get a chance.

Last edited by HacksawMark; 01-08-2013 at 10:08 PM. Reason: left out a word
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #20
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.
 
Solidjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 22,521
My Ride: 2002 330i
Can you post pics of the actual headlight please
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use