E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-13-2011, 12:16 AM   #1
dougwells

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Warning light on dash - Red headlight icon - what does it mean?

Anyone know what this means? It came on when I started the car this evening. Red headlight icon next to an icon of the car (car icon like the one that warns you when a door is not fully closed).

I checked and the tail lights and turn signals all work. Red headlight icon went out about 1 mimute after putting the car in gear.

Any ideas?

Doug
dougwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:32 AM   #2
danewilson77

My Ride: 2004 zhp
Are you positive it wasn't the taillight?
Old 02-13-2011, 12:38 AM   #3
albarran9

My Ride: E46, E53, E90
Any of these?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw.jpg
Views:	86979
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	393109  
albarran9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:52 AM   #4
dougwells

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Tail lights looked good.

The headlight signal on the summary chart looked similar to the warning icon but likely not identical. Weird that the warning went out 1-2 minutes after the car started moving.

Any other ideas-?

Doug
dougwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:26 AM   #5
danewilson77

My Ride: 2004 zhp
This is just rather typical for a grounding issue on the tails is why I asked. You haven't done any headlight work? Really? Just started happening outta the blue?

I would remove the suspect headlight bulb. Bend up suspect connection tab slightly to ensure good solid contact, then apply a lil dab o di-electric grease.

/Done
Old 02-13-2011, 03:35 AM   #6
Lusticles

My Ride: 325Ci
Maybe it was a leveling issue.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:05 AM   #7
BruceWayne
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 03 LSB ///M3
^ The light won't come on for that
Old 02-13-2011, 06:07 AM   #8
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
this is just rather typical for a grounding issue on the tails is why i asked. You haven't done any headlight work? Really? Just started happening outta the blue?

I would remove the suspect headlight bulb. Bend up suspect connection tab slightly to ensure good solid contact, then apply a lil dab o di-electric grease.

/done
+1
Old 02-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #9
MRHEAT

My Ride: 04-325i
My passenger side warning light came on last week also i pulled out the bulb and cleaned out the green goo that was all over where the bulb plugs into, the bulb was fine all was good after that.
MRHEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:30 AM   #10
Black_BMW

My Ride: e46 2002 facelift
One of your bulbs' connection may be dirty..
Black_BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #11
missamo80

My Ride: 2001 325i
I'm with DaneWilson, this sounds like a classic grounding issue for the tail light, or your front turn signal sockets are starting to go.

Neil
missamo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #12
albarran9

My Ride: E46, E53, E90
Do you have fog lights? I had a headlight out come up on my dash last year. Checked it out and both my headlights were working highs and low. The light would disappear after a while and would come back on when I restarted the car. Turned out to be a blown out fog light. If not then it could be the grounding issue or dirty connections.
albarran9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #13
darksigno

My Ride: 318i
i to have this problem (i figured id post here instead of starting a new thread) i dont have foglights, ive checked all connections in the sockets and changed all bulbs, when i turn my parkers on my right front indicator also turns on so i figured this was the origin in which was at fault, but i cant see any problem with it, any other ideas guys? the light on my dash doesnt go away tho after a few minutes
darksigno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #14
fishb0n3

My Ride: 323ci convertible
i face the same issue with my car .. the front headlights sign comes on the dashboard .. but then i turn on the lights while driving and the fog lights too ( front ) and then the warning on the dashboard goes away ..

happened couple of times tho but this is how i fix it myself.

Its not the bulb itself i think this is the wiring is dirty and it needs to get cleaned
1990 corvette ( C4 ) ZR1
2002 325ci vert " project car "
2000 323ci vert -totaled-
2003 z4 3.0i -sold-
fishb0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:25 AM   #15
timdmilton

My Ride: 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougwells View Post
Anyone know what this means? It came on when I started the car this evening. Red headlight icon next to an icon of the car (car icon like the one that warns you when a door is not fully closed).

I checked and the tail lights and turn signals all work. Red headlight icon went out about 1 mimute after putting the car in gear.

Any ideas?

Doug
Hi Doug, I realise this reply is only 6 years late so apologies but just joined forum and your post came up from a search of 'E46 headlight warning lights'.

Just got both red warning lights myself after fitting LED bulbs which only draw about 20 watts each, compared with 55W for each halogen lamp so I reckon it's sensing the reduced current flow and 'thinking' (CPU algorithm) there's a faulty or missing bulb. Not sure how to cure this; will search forum for LED upgrades but guess I'll end up having to fit a ballast resistor on each side to draw more current. But that kinda cancels out the benefits of the LED units drawing LESS current!!
Regards,
Tim
timdmilton is offline   Reply With Quote