E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #21
Steezy

My Ride: 2004 M3
Mine has about 100k miles and feels a LOT faster than my dad's 335i. The M3 just keeps pulling... the 335i is a fast car, too. Find one that's all stock. If it's stock usually that's a good sign that it wasn't beat to ****.

EDIT: My first test drive I wasn't impressed either, because I was used to the 335i's heel and toe style. Try flooring it through at least 2 gears all the way up to 8k RPM next time. Maybe that'll change your mind. The M3 has no low end torque.

Last edited by Steezy; 01-17-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Steezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #22
Forcfed93

My Ride: 2002 M3
My car has no traction through first and second. And mine is stock minus a panel filter and has 285 section Pirelli's out back...

It had to have had problems.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #23
nofar

My Ride: 2006 M3 ZCP 6 SPEED
To the OP,
Why don't you consider driving another E46 M3 to see if the items you "feel" are indeed related to that particular M3 or to every M3. Maybe your viewpoint on what "fast" is biased, or maybe the M3 you drove is a lemon? Know way for anyone on the internet to tell; only you can decide if you want an M3.

Also, concerning the Crossfire SRT6....yeah, that's a supercharged V6...not the same in any way/shape/form as an M3's inline 6.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #24
scca_ziptie

My Ride: 2006 M3 SMG Comp pkg
Definitely drove a bad one, test drive a stock M3 and you won't be disappointed. Straight line performance is pretty good with an ///M but it's under braking, cornering and corner exit where the ///M really shines. Enjoy the test drive in the other one
Old 01-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #25
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroOath View Post
To Snik:

I stand corrected. The recall was only for cars sold as 2002 models, some being built in late 2001. The recall was for oil pump and rod bearing replacement.

It is not irrelevant when you're talking about longevity of the vehicle, especially in high mileage cases such as this.

All other production M3s have failure rates no greater than the other and there have been no recalls issued for Vanos related problems as far as I know.

While the majority of M3 owners addressed this issue and got it repaired some may have not. I feel it is important to do a carfax search and look for this as well as other service records. I personally would never even entertain a M3 purchase unless it had very clear service history.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Bimmer App
Its not relivant because after the recall which was mainly caused by a bad batch of connecting rods, those cars NEVER had issues.
If you look now, you will see that a few are having crank bearing wear issues, but thats to be expected with a long stroke high RPM motor.

Tha vanos issue im talking about isnt a recall, they did have updated vanos or cam bolts (cant recall which), but i think its the vanos bolts) but it seems they mad no difference. The issue im talking about is the vanos hubs tabs failing, particularly the exhaust side.
You have an 04, id look into that and get familar with it as it seems the only years not affected by that is 01s...

These are things that carfax would never show and since most of them are breaking out of warranty, they will likely not be on the service history... The only way to know for sure, besides the noise when its really bad, is to inspect it with the valve cover off... somethign that i doubt is done in PPI unless specifically requested.

google "Vanos hub failure"
also check the poll on m3 forums. There is nothing wrong, or i shoudl say, more risky with getting an 01 or 02 M3 besides not having the sexier trunk lid and LEDs.
Thats false and misleading.

IF there is improvement worth nothing, its that the newer ones MAY, and i stress may, have the improved thicker rear floor. Thats said, ive got a vert, so im already braced better that coupes in the chassis tub.

Last edited by Snik; 01-17-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #26
s1monove

My Ride: M3 Coupe
I'd echo the above comments. You drove a dog. I test drove loads of sh*t examples before finding mine. The difference was uge. You'll know when you find the right car.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #27
sakumaxp

My Ride: 02 M3 convertible
when i test drove my car, i couldnt take my mind off of it for the 3 days i decided if i was going to buy it or not, test drive another and report back.

Carbon Black Metallic
SMG II
Verttttt
VCSL Front Bumper
VCSL 1 Piece Splitter
VIS GTR Hood
6K Angel Eyes
VMR VB3 19's
KW V2 coilovers
sakumaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #28
VonGeiss

My Ride: 2002 m3
The m3 you drove was broke. Simple as that. Felt like 20 more hp than the 330? Must have been in limp mode

2002 Carbon Black ///M3 - current
2002 Stahlgrau ///M3 - RIP
2001 325i - sold

Instagram: @VONGEISS
VonGeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #29
HiHoBrian
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 05 M3
I still think he lifted off the gas too soon.

sent from my ATARI sc1224
Old 01-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #30
dmaninphx

My Ride: LSB 2002 //M3
Quote:
Take a look at the description of the car you drove.

First, its an 02. From what I have researched before, the 2000-2002 are possibly the worst M3 to get because of the engine recalls they had. I believe it was because of bad rod bearings or something similar.. I cant recall off the top of my head. These issues were corrected in later production M3s.

Secondly, not only the miles but the MODS. No one and I sincerely mean no one does those kinds of mods to a car just to take it to get groceries or to the local movie theater. Judging by the mods you listed it sounds like this car belonged to a spoiled kid of some sort who spent daddys money.
This is about the DUMBEST comment I have heard on here in YEARS!!!! Who are you to justify a car you A) have not driven or B) Do not know the history of???

The fact that you try to belittle a modded 02 is amazing too.... Tell you what, feel free to come drive MY HIGHLY MODIFIED '02! I will GUARANTEE you it has been better taken care of than yours AND is more desireable! Side by side I am sure hands down out of 100 people most will want my modded version.

Quote:
I by no means dog on my car but I got the itch one day and decided to race my friends Trailblazer SS and I jumped out on him from the get go and he could not reel me in. And I know an SS is a hell of a lot faster than a ZHP

Shows your ignorance. You want to race, go get on a track and prove your skills.... Street racing is NOT the avenue to "show your skills".

Last edited by dmaninphx; 01-19-2013 at 04:05 PM.
dmaninphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #31
Steezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoBrian View Post
I still think he lifted off the gas too soon.

sent from my ATARI sc1224
Could be. The M3 feels like an Accord at 3K RPMs.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #32
fatskidmark

My Ride: E46 M3
Oh buddy! You my good sir drove a turd! I would for sure search for one in good shape with lower milage, this guy probably didn't maintain his car well. And for this guy ^^^ What M3 have YOU been driving that feels like an Accord in any way shape or form?????????????

Last edited by fatskidmark; 01-19-2013 at 10:24 PM.
fatskidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #33
Steezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatskidmark View Post
Oh buddy! You my good sir drove a turd! I would for sure search for one in good shape with lower milage, this guy probably didn't maintain his car well. And for this guy ^^^ What M3 have YOU been driving that feels like an Accord in any way shape or form?????????????
For this guy? Did you even read what I said? I said at 3K RPMs. Read next time buddy.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #34
fatskidmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steezy View Post
For this guy? Did you even read what I said? I said at 3K RPMs. Read next time buddy.
That's why I said this:

Quote:
YOU should read next time broskie!! haha...
Old 01-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #35
Steezy

Quote:
That's why I said this:

YOU should read next time broskie!! haha...
In my opinion, it does. The M3 has no low end torque. Do me a favor, when you get into 3rd gear floor it at about 3-3.5k RPMs.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:21 PM   #36
fatskidmark

^^I do almost every morning getting on the highway! The on-ramp I take loops around and when I get straight I'm in 3rd at just about that exact rpm range, I know, what a coincidence. I have no problems taking off like a bat out of H&LL!! Maybe you should have your car looked at? IDK??
Old 01-19-2013, 11:27 PM   #37
Steezy

Quote:
^^I do almost every morning getting on the highway! The on-ramp I take loops around and when I get straight I'm in 3rd at just about that exact rpm range, I know, what a coincidence. I have no problems taking off like a bat out of H&LL!! Maybe you should have your car looked at? IDK??
I got a PPI when I bought it. Everything checked out. Good try, though.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #38
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
mine is plenty torquey for me, and its a vert.... i guess if youre used to V8s it will feel weak.
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #39
fatskidmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steezy View Post
I got a PPI when I bought it. Everything checked out. Good try, though.
Haha, thanks bro, but I'm not preying on you! If your car feels like this maybe there's something wrong? DOES ANYBODY ELSE FEEL LIKE THEIR CAR HAS THE PERFORMANCE OF A HONDA ACCORD IN 3RD GEAR AT 3K RPM'S?? I'll start a thread and see what kind of response I get. We're all here to help each other out...

And as a side note, I got a ppi also when I bought my car and the stupid douche bag missed some important sh!t...Juss say'n...

Last edited by fatskidmark; 01-19-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:05 AM   #40
Steezy

Quote:
Haha, thanks bro, but I'm not preying on you! If your car feels like this maybe there's something wrong? DOES ANYBODY ELSE FEEL LIKE THEIR CAR HAS THE PERFORMANCE OF A HONDA ACCORD IN 3RD GEAR AT 3K RPM'S?? I'll start a thread and see what kind of response I get. We're all here to help each other out...

And as a side note, I got a ppi also when I bought my car and the stupid douche bag missed some important sh!t...Juss say'n...
It seems you're getting very angry of my opinion, and you've made a thread about it? Damn, dude. You hurt my feelings! My PPI was done by VS Motorsports in Chicago. You can search them up if you want (you probably do have the time considering you made a whole thread bashing my opinion), a lot of people wish they had an Indy shop like them around. They're very reputable. I'm sure they didn't make any mistake. It's people like you that make me wonder...

Last edited by Steezy; 01-20-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Steezy is offline   Reply With Quote