E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 03:10 AM   #21
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by My325XI View Post
I bought a $25 code reader off Amazon. Works great and its for any OBD II vehicle.
There are codes that are proprietary to BMW's only, and a regular OBDII II scanner will not read them, or it will give you the wrong code.
That would be why there are scanners made specifically for BMW's. You can reset an SES light, but for certain codes, this will not give you the correct information.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:13 AM   #22
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensmile209 View Post
can you tell me more about this Peake R5/FCX 3 scanner? is this the best plug in play tool to clear my problem?
This scanner will work, and it will let you reset your SES light. But the codes it gives have to be matched to their tables, and are not the actual BMW code numbers. This makes it a bit more confusing to use, but it will work.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #23
miweber929

My Ride: 02 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by trj View Post
Are you speaking for the whole community, advising against BMW scanner? It looks like only the people receiving broken items are posting on the threads, whoever receives a working item, they dont post. Only issue is, the one coming from overseas will take more time and more delay if you have to send one back. I believe xcar360 who are the ones coming with this product for cheap is a sponsor on this site now. So, one can directly deal with them.
No offense, but dont bash on a product because someone else couldnt get it to work or got a bad product. Or, did you get a bad one too? They are replicas of the BMW scanner 1.4 from PAsoft, which cost $650. You cant expect to have same level of quality and customer support from the cheaper(super cheap) version.

I am not asking OP to reset the code at auto zone, at least read the code to see what caused it.

I was giving OP a choice since everyone else seemed to give their choices. I bought BMW scanner 1.4 from a US seller paying more than $32($48 to be exact) because I needed it immediately to code my retrofitted xenons. However, the chance of people receiving the broken item from China or Taiwan is same as getting one from US seller. It is the same product with higher mark up price because it is being sold from a seller in the US. I have compared the one from US seller(mine) and the one ordered recently through xcar360(another forum member here). Both are same, even the sticker is attached in the same position(covering the indicator lights).

DIS, INPA, carsoft, etc available over ebay are also cheaper pirated versions. They use vag-com cables modified to work with the stated programs.The Vag-com cables you see for $10 are also the replicas from China, and you have the same chance of getting a bad one.
Plus you can do a lot of damage to the car if you dont know how to use them. I have all those softwares and prefer BMW scanner to read and code simple things on my car. If I have to do something that BMW scanner can't do, then only I resort to INPA.
That is the reason I advised OP on getting a BMW scanner.
Your original post indicated a $32 scanner, clearly the Xcar one and that was what I was referring to, so take it as you will but the last batch HAS been documented flakey, and all Xcar is willing to do (after much back and forth) is look at it after shipping it back to Hong Kong. So I waited a month to get it, spent 2 weeks screwing around with 3 different laptops, emailing Xcar back and forth and will have a month to get it back to him and another month before I see it; cost to ship it was around $25 according to my mailroon at work. So you know, it's a big waste if money and time at this point. I suggested to Xcar he simply replace the bad ones as they obviously have an issue and are quite cheap to make with no response. You may want to read what was quoted and what was written before jumping to conclusions. Lots of satisfied owners post up as well, which is why I ordered one.

The PAsoft software I imagine is great (never got to use mine), and the reader is great as well, but the OP has zero desire to actually read the code and only asked about resetting the light so any $30 Autozone reader will do that and be 80% easier for this guy to use. I know, I have one. And bing! it reads as a bonus. And works right out the box or Autozone will exchange it.

If the OP wanted to PROGRAM his car, I'd suggest getting a scanner, FYI, but like I mentioned spend the money on one from these shores to save headaches. Sponsor or not the Xcar parts and service are pretty suspect from my experience.

So yeah, I'm speaking for the community in general I guess.

Last edited by miweber929; 01-18-2013 at 07:46 AM.
miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #24
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by miweber929 View Post
Your original post indicated a $32 scanner, clearly the Xcar one and that was what I was referring to, so take it as you will but the last batch HAS been documented flakey, and all Xcar is willing to do (after much back and forth) is look at it after shipping it back to Hong Kong. So I waited a month to get it, spent 2 weeks screwing around with 3 different laptops, emailing Xcar back and forth and will have a month to get it back to him and another month before I see it; cost to ship it was around $25 according to my mailroon at work. So you know, it's a big waste if money and time at this point. I suggested to Xcar he simply replace the bad ones as they obviously have an issue and are quite cheap to make with no response. You may want to read what was quoted and what was written before jumping to conclusions. Lots of satisfied owners post up as well, which is why I ordered one.

The PAsoft software I imagine is great (never got to use mine), and the reader is great as well, but the OP has zero desire to actually read the code and only asked about resetting the light so any $30 Autozone reader will do that and be 80% easier for this guy to use. I know, I have one. And bing! it reads as a bonus. And works right out the box or Autozone will exchange it.

If the OP wanted to PROGRAM his car, I'd suggest getting a scanner, FYI, but like I mentioned spend the money on one from these shores to save headaches. Sponsor or not the Xcar parts and service are pretty suspect from my experience.

So yeah, I'm speaking for the community in general I guess.
Sorry it didn't work for you. I guessed it right then. You were one of the people who got a bad one.

My point was if he needs to buy one that's an option. Also a scanner will do nothing for his car unless he fixes what caused the light in the first place. Also you got a bad one doesn't mean he will get a bad one. I got a good one, so I still am in support of BMW scanner 1.4. You should also note that I bought it from a US seller not xcar360 for prompt shipping although the product is the same.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #25
bimmernut3

My Ride: '05 330cic, '01 540i
Boy, a lot of information being posted on the scanner. It would nice if one of you guys could post showing ALL the scanners, with pros & cons and showing the approx. cost for each & what it will or will not do, all on one post. Sure would make it easier for me to evaluate. BTW, thanks to all the posters on this subject. It's really good info.

[IMG][/IMG]
bimmernut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #26
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernut3 View Post
Boy, a lot of information being posted on the scanner. It would nice if one of you guys could post showing ALL the scanners, with pros & cons and showing the approx. cost for each & what it will or will not do, all on one post. Sure would make it easier for me to evaluate. BTW, thanks to all the posters on this subject. It's really good info.

I use all three; BMW scanner 1.4, INPA, generic OBD II scanner. But my favorite is BMW scanner 1.4 for general usage.

BMW scanner 1.4

Pros:
Cheap($32 if you buy it from China)
Easy interface, Less chance of messing up.
Read and translate BMW specific codes.
Codes that the generic OBD reader cant read can be read.
Reset the codes.
Airbag light reset.
Live data.
Coding of DMS, EWS, LKM, whatever module you can think of. eg: Xenon flash from halogen lights, DRL disable, euro hazards, one touch window operation, door lock at particular speed, automatic lock disable, alarm coding, many more..... you get the idea.
Can read every little module present in your car separately. Eg: ABS, heated mirror, NAV, heated seats, etc.....

Cons:
Chinese made hence, not original(original is $650)
If you buy from china, takes a long time to ship. Hence I bought it off a US seller(paying more than $32 to xcar360).
No customer support or manual.
Hassle if you have to return it back.
Need a 20-pin adapter to work with Pre2000 cars.
A bit confusing to set up on a 64-bit operating system.

INPA:

pros:
can do everything stated above and more. Like changing the DME software, Transmission software.
Very powerful
Cheap(can be had for around $35 with the softwares and cable, and just modified vag-com cable only can be had for $10)
A little more instructions available over the internet forums on how to use it.

cons:
command based, hence not intuitive at all.
Setting up a computer with this would make one go crazy if they dont know what they are doing.
You can do a lot of damage if you dont know what you are doing.

Generic OBD tool:

pro:
works on all OBDII cars.
Check engine light reading and clearing.
Available in any auto parts store. (costs around $15 to whatever you can imagine)

Cons:
Not BMW specific codes.
Doesnt read anything else but the SES light.
Costs almost as much as BMW scanner.

If you plan to change settings and read BMW specific codes for your car without the risk of messing up, BMW scanner is the best bet.
Else you can get generic OBDII readers.
If you are more adventurous, get INPA.

All three costs almost the same, but INPA and BMW scanner are immensely powerful than generic OBDII scanner.

As with all other parts, there is a chance you get a non functioning module. Doesnt mean its useless. Of course, over the course of time I have received numerous items that were not working, but I dont ask people not to buy it because I received a non functioning one. Your choice, you get what you pay for and decide how much time you are going to spend to use/learn it.
With INPA, its cheap and very powerful but you will need a lot of time to set it up, and learn how to use it.
With Generic OBDII, its just plug and play.
BMW scanner is right in the middle of those two.
Your choice.

Also OP, get your codes scanned. Just resetting the code wont do squat. Find why the light was triggered.

Last edited by trj; 01-18-2013 at 12:05 PM.
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #27
bimmernut3

My Ride: '05 330cic, '01 540i
Quote:
I use all three; BMW scanner 1.4, INPA, generic OBD II scanner. But my favorite is BMW scanner 1.4 for general usage.

BMW scanner 1.3=4

Pros:
Reset the codes.
Airbag light reset.
Live data.
Coding of DMS, EWS, LKM, whatever module you can think of. eg: Xenon flash from halogen lights, DRL disable, euro hazards, one touch window operation, door lock at particular speed, automatic lock disable, alarm coding, many more..... you get the idea.
Can read every little module present in your car separately. Eg: ABS, heated mirror, NAV, heated seats, etc.....

Cons:
If you buy from china, takes a long time to ship. Hence I bought it off a US seller(paying more than $32 to xcar360).

INPA:

pros:
can do everything stated above and more. Like changing the DME software, Transmission software.
Very powerful
Cheap(can be had for around $35 with the softwares and cable, and just modified vag-com cable only can be had for $10)

cons:
Setting up a computer with this would make one go crazy if they dont know what they are doing.

Generic OBD tool:

pro:
works on all OBDII cars.
Available in any auto parts store. (costs around $15 to whatever you can imagine)

Cons:
Not BMW specific codes.

If you plan to change settings and read BMW specific codes for your car without the risk of messing up, BMW scanner is the best bet.

All three costs almost the same, but INPA and BMW scanner are immensely powerful than generic OBDII scanner.

As with all other parts, there is a chance you get a non functioning module. Doesnt mean its useless. Of course, over the course of time I have received numerous items that were not working, but I dont ask people not to buy it because I received a non functioning one. Your choice, you get what you pay for and decide how much time you are going to spend to use/learn it.
With INPA, its cheap and very powerful but you will need a lot of time to set it up, and learn how to use it.
Your choice.

Also OP, get your codes scanned. Just resetting the code wont do squat. Find why the light was triggered.
Thanks trj, this is good. What's the issue with the 1.3.4 set up in windows7

[IMG][/IMG]
bimmernut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #28
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernut3 View Post
Thanks trj, this is good. What's the issue with the 1.3.4 set up in windows7
Sorry, it was a typo as I wrote 1.3=4. It is BMW scanner 1.4

The generic drivers provided with it are not compatible with any variation of 64 bit windows. If you have 32 bit windows then its not an issue at all.

However, there is a big thread on BMW scanner 1.4. You might want to check that thread out, there are people who have set it up with windows 7 64-bit and provided the steps. I run it on mac book pro with win xp on parallels. I do not have the specifics on how to install it on 64 bit machine, but in that thread its mentioned.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #29
brokensmile209

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325ci
Quote:

BMW scanner 1.4

Pros:
Reset the codes.
Airbag light reset.
Live data.

Cons:

INPA:

pros:
Very powerful

cons:

Generic OBD tool:

pro:
works on all OBDII cars.

Cons:
Not BMW specific codes.

Your choice.

thank you, i just place a order on the bmw scanner 1.4 from amazon, it from a seller in united states not china, hopefully this will help read code and help me clear it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&pf_rd_i=typ01
brokensmile209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #30
trj

Nice. You found a good priced one. Cheers.

Last edited by trj; 01-19-2013 at 05:17 PM.
trj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #31
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
Launch CReader VI is my first go to tool for any ODB car. I have a bunch of tools, some stand along and some computer based. I even have a Peake Reader but do not use this often because it cannot display real time data.

If you shop the CReader VI a bit, you might be able to get for under $100 off shore.

I think I scored mine on ebay for $84 as I recall.

Color display, on tool graphing, on tool recording, real time data, fast & simple.

As far as the graphing and recording, it is a bit limited, but no other handheld in this price range gives you this many features that I am aware of?

+1 for the Launch CReader VI, I keep this one handy and use it first before I drag out my other tools.

If I had less than $150 on scan tools for a BMW, I would buy a Launch CReader VI and a the BMW Scanner 1.4.0, far superior and cheaper than the Peake, you can do coding, airbag reset and read BMW specific codes with the BMW Scanner 1.4.0 and the CReader does not require you to dig out your computer for the first crack at your issues.

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #32
jfoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokensmile209 View Post
thank you, i just place a order on the bmw scanner 1.4 from amazon, it from a seller in united states not china, hopefully this will help read code and help me clear it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&pf_rd_i=typ01
That is a decent price, just beware it is not "fulfilled" by Amazon, so it likely will could from Asia, but who knows for sure??

This recently happened to catch someone with a ELM327 interface for use with a Driod phone. They went with the cheaper item on Amazon and did not pay attention to the fact it was not "fulfilled" by Amazon.

Update on how long it takes to show up.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

Old 01-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #33
trj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
That is a decent price, just beware it is not "fulfilled" by Amazon, so it likely will could from Asia, but who knows for sure??

This recently happened to catch someone with a ELM327 interface for use with a Driod phone. They went with the cheaper item on Amazon and did not pay attention to the fact it was not "fulfilled" by Amazon.

+1 on shipping time update.
Would be a nice, if indeed you get it quick and from US no one have to put up with crap from xcar360.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #34
brokensmile209

Quote:
Launch CReader VI is my first go to tool for any ODB car. I have a bunch of tools, some stand along and some computer based. I even have a Peake Reader but do not use this often because it cannot display real time data.

If you shop the CReader VI a bit, you might be able to get for under $100 off shore.

I think I scored mine on ebay for $84 as I recall.

Color display, on tool graphing, on tool recording, real time data, fast & simple.

As far as the graphing and recording, it is a bit limited, but no other handheld in this price range gives you this many features that I am aware of?

+1 for the Launch CReader VI, I keep this one handy and use it first before I drag out my other tools.

If I had less than $150 on scan tools for a BMW, I would buy a Launch CReader VI and a the BMW Scanner 1.4.0, far superior and cheaper than the Peake, you can do coding, airbag reset and read BMW specific codes with the BMW Scanner 1.4.0 and the CReader does not require you to dig out your computer for the first crack at your issues.
Found a Launch Creader VI for $62 brand new, also there a used one on ebay bidding for $29.99, still debut on which one I should pick

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Bimmer App
Old 01-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #35
jfoj

Make sure it is a CReader VI and not the CReader V!

Where did you find it for $62, this is a deal for this tool!

Old 01-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #36
jfoj

I found the $62 one, the ebay one is already at $40 and it has over 4 days of time on the auction, it will likely go for over $100??

The $62 one is from Asia, but it is worth it.

Hopefully the seller is legit and will get the unit shipped quickly, but most of the take 12-16 days from Asia?

Get the Launch and this - http://www.amazon.com/Patuoxun-V1-4-...mw+scanner+1.4

For under $100 you have the best set up for the price.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #37
brokensmile209

Quote:

Jan 25 to 29 delivery arrived date

Old 01-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #38
brokensmile209

Quote:
+1 on shipping time update.
Would be a nice, if indeed you get it quick and from US no one have to put up with crap from xcar360.
Estimated delivery jan 25 to jan 29

Old 01-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #39
brokensmile209

Quote:
I found the $62 one, the ebay one is already at $40 and it has over 4 days of time on the auction, it will likely go for over $100??

Hopefully the seller is legit and will get the unit shipped quickly, but most of the take 12-16 days from Asia?

Yes it the Creader VI for $62 maybe from Asia, pretty good deal

Old 01-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #40
brokensmile209

Quote:

Yes the $62 maybe from aisa but it a good deal