E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
phrozen06
NA V8
 
phrozen06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 39°27'33"N 77°58'04"W
Posts: 7,513
My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
NRA criticized for ad about Obama's daughters

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...l-ads/1839975/

Quote:
Before the policy fight could begin over the Obama administration's new proposals on gun regulation, the NRA had drawn intense criticism Wednesday for an ad critical of Obama that mentions his two children.

The ad calls Obama an "elitist hypocrite" because his daughters have Secret Service protection at their school, but the president has not embraced the NRA's proposal for armed security at all schools.

"Most Americans agree that a president's children should not be used as pawns in a political fight," White House spokesman Jay Carney said Wednesday. "But to go so far as to make the safety of the president's children the subject of an attack ad is repugnant and cowardly."

The White House has discouraged coverage of Obama's daughters, Malia and Sasha, though they are regularly photographed accompanying their parents.

Donna Brazile, a former Democratic strategist, called the ad "tasteless, mean-spirited and totally out of bounds.''

"It's wrong to target in advertising the family of the president of the United States, regardless of the issue,'' says John Weaver, a Republican consultant who worked for presidential candidates John McCain and Jon Huntsman. He called the ad "tone deaf'' and said the NRA is not in tune with public opinion after the Sandy Hook shootings. "If they're trying to appeal to the broad cross section of America, or they're trying to appeal to swing votes in the Congress, this was not their best first step they could have taken. It comes across as unhinged.''
Let the games begin.
__________________

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
bimmerfan08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 4,890
My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Now go visit my other thread right below this.
__________________
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."

Last edited by bimmerfan08; 01-16-2013 at 09:15 PM.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #3
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Obama brings his family up and photo ops them regularly, open season....plus the ad was critical of him not his family
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,299
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
For those of you keeping score at home: it's way out of bounds to mention the fact that the president has children in an ad, but it is ok for the president to put other people's kids onstage for a press release.
__________________

Last edited by NOVAbimmer; 01-16-2013 at 09:22 PM.
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
Lair
E46Fanatic
 
Lair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Council housing
Posts: 320
My Ride: 330ciC
The NRA put a target on Obama's kids - just like Sarah Palin put a target on Gabby Giffords.
__________________

Quote:
Are you following him?

Yes.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
The NRA put a target on Obama's kids - just like Sarah Palin put a target on Gabby Giffords.
Lolwut
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,299
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
The NRA put a target on Obama's kids - just like Sarah Palin put a target on Gabby Giffords.
The ad mentions the fact that his kids go to school with armed security. How is that "putting a target" on them?

It's not like they published the name and address of the school where the armed guards are.
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
badfast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Korea
Posts: 506
My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Obama brings his family up and photo ops them regularly, open season....plus the ad was critical of him not his family
says the guy that hides behind a computer screen. it must be great not being important, wouldn't you say?
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 334
My Ride: 3.5 Liters of fury
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
says the guy that hides behind a computer screen. it must be great not being important, wouldn't you say?
Oh ok so rights are dependent on social status now?
__________________
Gold Medal Recipient: Jimmy Rustling (2014)

“They have the guns and therefore we are for peace and for reformation through the ballot. When we have the guns then it will be through the bullet.” - Saul Alinsky, quoting Lenin
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
phrozen06
NA V8
 
phrozen06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 39°27'33"N 77°58'04"W
Posts: 7,513
My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
For those of you keeping score at home: it's way out of bounds to mention the fact that the president has children in an ad, but it is ok for the president to put other people's kids onstage for a press release.
__________________

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #11
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow
 
2000_328CI's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Isla de Muerta | DC/VA
Posts: 29,023
My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
What's wrong with the ad?



I noticed it wasn't included in the OP... is that because there are NO grounds upon which to attack it? Sure you can say "you should mention Obama's kids" but the point here isn't to call out the children.. but rathe the hypocrisy of Obama claiming that firearms aren't safe in schools when the very school his children attends has private, armed security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
For those of you keeping score at home: it's way out of bounds to mention the fact that the president has children in an ad, but it is ok for the president to put other people's kids onstage for a press release.
THANK YOU... common sense has been applied.

Totally fine to use children as nothing more than an emotional pull... but mentioning children in a logical statement about hypocrisy.. WAYYYYY out of bounds.

"If gun legislation saves even one child"...... Well apparently Obama wants to remove guns unless they protect his children... or him for that matter

__________________

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244

Last edited by 2000_328CI; 01-16-2013 at 10:13 PM.
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
casino is no lie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: CDT
Posts: 76
My Ride: M54B30
ITT we learn that Republicans think they need the same level of protection as the President because they're just so damn popular and are in a line of work that causes them to have enemies both at home and abroad who would like nothing more than to assassinate them.

We also learned today that the NRA thinks your average gun owner goes through the same background check as members of the Secret Service and thus are equally as trusted to both own and operate a firearm.
__________________
casino is no lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #13
NOVAbimmer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: VA
Posts: 12,299
My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
What's wrong with the ad?



I noticed it wasn't included in the OP... is that because there are NO grounds upon which to attack it? Sure you can say "you should mention Obama's kids" but the point here isn't to call out the children.. but rathe the hypocrisy of Obama claiming that firearms aren't safe in schools when the very school his children attends has private, armed security.


THANK YOU... common sense has been applied.

Totally fine to use children as nothing more than an emotional pull... but mentioning children in a logical statement about hypocrisy.. WAYYYYY out of bounds.

"If gun legislation saves even one child"...... Well apparently Obama wants to remove guns unless they protect his children... or him for that matter

That picture needs to be changed to reflect the fact that all of those people have "assault weapons" and/or "assault magazines". Thank god they're trained, otherwise everyone within ten miles of that photo would be dead within minutes.
__________________
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use