E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 01:09 AM   #21
tks

My Ride: slower than yours
oO i think mine's doing this!

iMagine this from this movie on netflix:

big nuns with naked guns

anyways kickstand is piping you everytime you let go of gas pedal

dasss it
tks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:33 AM   #22
ac_2007

My Ride: E46 - M3 & 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
Is this a comedy thread? I just saw DMAX had a comedy show tonight is this the afterparty? Going to look up his 8 minute video on youtube maybe next time i can go at "the laugh factory" when dmax gets big or when he washes out like Gilbert Godfreid, hopefully not the latter.

I saw him there for a comedy show afterwards he was selling CD's, I'm like god what happened to you Gilbert shaking my head lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorpluto View Post
What a minute. This happened on an 05? I might sell my 323 and get a five series.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Quote:
Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskisky View Post
oO i think mine's doing this!

iMagine this from this movie on netflix:

big nuns with naked guns

anyways kickstand is piping you everytime you let go of gas pedal

dasss it
Old 01-17-2013, 01:35 AM   #23
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
you should just come and pick it up for $0! It needs a few other things, subframe, minor gas leak by the tank, which would probably all be covered under bmw warranty, left brake caliper, and there is a minor oil leak.

Also, the guibo and transmission mounts need to be replaced have the rear right tire which vibrates, which might be an axle boot.

The problem is even if all of these problems are fixed, will i need to rebuild the transmission reverse gear ect.

When you think about these cars have some serious issues, you don't hear other brands replacing drive shaft bearings or buying a whole new rear driveshaft lol. That's ****ing crazy, repair subframes, you pretty much need to take bmws crappy **** apart put the car back together new, rinse, wash and repeat.

Whatever we'll see what happens. I really want to keep this car but not with rebuilding everything in it.
Yeah you're right I probably wouldn't pay $1000 with that many problems. The reason I'm even putting down offers is because my girlfriend desperately needs a car and I figure I could get this thing in running shape in 6 months or so and about 2-3k$. Man if I got my girlfriend a car I'd be the man!! Haha
Old 01-17-2013, 02:12 AM   #24
MercForHire

My Ride: sold...
Quote:
Originally Posted by peytonracer4 View Post
Yeah you're right I probably wouldn't pay $1000 with that many problems. The reason I'm even putting down offers is because my girlfriend desperately needs a car and I figure I could get this thing in running shape in 6 months or so and about 2-3k$. Man if I got my girlfriend a car I'd be the man!! Haha
what if she cheats on you with a guy driving a M3
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:15 AM   #25
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
Holy ****, a crack in a cared for late model 325i sedan...
Old 01-17-2013, 02:20 AM   #26
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
what if she cheats on you with a guy driving a M3
Kill said guy.
Acquire m3.
????
Profit.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:27 AM   #27
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
ANY is too long
Old 01-17-2013, 04:10 AM   #28
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
Quote:
2005 325i M56.

Right now I'm even debating selling it and not dealing with it at all, and buying a lexus or something instead. Just debating of whether to keep putting money into this car or just buy a more reliable brand.
First time I hear a 2005 325i to have developed this problem.
Do you trust your mechanic completely? I'd suggest to go back to him again or to get a second opinion at another independent shop or a BMW dealer. Make them lower the differential carrier at the rear mounting points, clean the area and take pictures, which you can post here. This whole process shouldn't take much longer than 15 minutes.
If you do find a crack, do fix it ASAP. If you wait, it can only get worse and will cost more to repair.

Last edited by Megalocnus; 01-17-2013 at 04:11 AM.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:48 AM   #29
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
^ ha, any and all E46 can get this..even the 325i.

OP if the cracks aren't long the TIS repair from BMW says filling the hollow area above the cracks with an industrial expanding epoxy will fix the issue. Once it gets longer or larger the area needs to be replace or re-inforced with plates. Thats when the real money comes in as much more work is involved in the fix.

As for your gas tank leak its an SULEV M56 which has an extra long warranty and should likely still be covered. Get this fixed and see what BMW offers to cover in the subframe. Usually it's half now the free inspection period has ended. But since they're on the hook for the gas tank they might offer to buy it off you instead. Worth a shot.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #30
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Alex...brilliant!

What would people do without this place?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:14 AM   #31
adaseb

My Ride: 2002 BMW 320i
It's highly unlikely your subframe has a crack in it.

Go underneath the car and take photos and post them here
adaseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #32
pawelgawel

My Ride: 330CI
get a 2nd opinion and be present to see the crack for yourself... if there is one, do what Alex said... use epoxy. its the Best, most efficient and affordable way to fix the issue... will cost about $150-200 with material and your own work. No need to take anything apart as well.

Then add another $1000 and fix your other issues and keep driving it for 300,000+ miles, or sell it and take a $3K hit as is.

The cars are great and reliable if you keep up with maintenance.

If you think this is too much, get a tin can on wheels or a Honda. same thing.

good luck..

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Bimmer App
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #33
gselsidi

My Ride: 2005 325i M56
I mean another mechanic told me the same thing. Can someone post a diagram of the mounting points? Because where they pointed to seemed like the middle of the car.

I read about filling it in with the epoxy on a thread but read later on if you want to fix it it might cause problems? I might just go the BMW route let them fix things under warranty and fight about the subframe "extended warranty" wording.
gselsidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #34
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
I heard that you can weld the reinforcement plates on as well as epoxy them. How reliable is the epoxy?

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #35
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
My subframe was fine at 125 thousand miles.... 5 thousand later, this...

In other words, it will go quickly.. I would get it fixed asap

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:07 AM   #36
trive2

My Ride: 1989 BMW 535i
Ouch.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:30 AM   #37
MJLavelle

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330ci
Find the crack, and drill a 1mm hole at the end of the crack. That will stop it from spreading for a while. Now, it won't prevent other cracks from developing, but it will stop that particular one from spreading, and getting larger. It will buy you a little time, and prevent that particular crack from getting worse.
MJLavelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:03 PM   #38
gselsidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
Find the crack, and drill a 1mm hole at the end of the crack. That will stop it from spreading for a while. Now, it won't prevent other cracks from developing, but it will stop that particular one from spreading, and getting larger. It will buy you a little time, and prevent that particular crack from getting worse.
One mechanic told me that also yesterday
Old 01-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #39
MercForHire

My Ride: sold...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLavelle View Post
What kind of sorcery is this?
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #40
gselsidi

Same sorcery they use on cracked windshields