E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2015, 02:07 PM   #1
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Surrendering license plates after moving out of state (Mike Larry doesn't wanna)

I moved from NY to CA and just had my plates changed. I'm in the process of having my old car insurance policy canceled and was informed that NY would charge me a penalty for having my NY registration uninsured unless I turn in my plates.

I looked into the process and I can do it by mail, but I just don't really want to, mainly because I'd rather keep the plates for nostalgic reasons if possible. Anyone familiar with this process? How likely is it that NY would come down hard on me? I'm thinking that, if they can even track my CA address down, I'm just ignore the fines like a jerkoff.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:10 PM   #2
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
Whenever I surrendered plates in NY, I would just give them 1 tag and keep the other. I would just say the other one fell off or is lost. No problems.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:40 PM   #3
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Surrender plates?? wtf NY?...
Wraisil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:21 PM   #4
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:44 PM   #5
Vinnie Vega

My Ride: 0032870Vette70Velle
Just send one and see if they say **** about it.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:50 PM   #6
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
Coming to a small claims court near you: NY v Mike Larry, E46F

$5 Pay-per-View, free local
Old 08-26-2015, 04:54 PM   #7
wasp9166
ima touching member

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
Send a message via Yahoo to wasp9166
for every day you keep plates on a non insured vehicle they charge you a penalty, daily

gota talk to a ny lawyer, i dunno if then can charge daily forever or not

it's not like the old days

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330 View Post
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:16 PM   #8
Grande D

My Ride: E36 M3
Idt Mike Larry is keeping it on the car, CA requires two plates anyway. I have tons of old plates, and though you're supposed to turn them in in almost every state, I've never heard of any followup whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousharenow View Post
Get out and walk. Meet people.

It will change your life!
Grande D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:31 PM   #9
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Lol. I've tossed my license plates in VA every time I've changed plate characters. VA gives its drivers the option to return them or keep them.

Quote:
Under Virginia Law you must remove your license plates when selling you vehicle. You may transfer your plates to any replacement vehicle, or return them to any DMV Customer Service Center where they will be recycled, or you may destroy them and dispose of them yourself. However, you must notify the Department that you no longer own the vehicle. You can do this online, by phone or at a DMV Customer Service Center.

If you move out of Virginia, you do not have to surrender your plates to the Virginia DMV, but this is recommended. After you have moved, send your plates to:

Virginia DMV
Attn: Titles and Registration Work Center
P.O. Box 27412
Richmond, Virginia 23269

You can also take your plates to any DMV Customer Service Center. You may be entitled for a refund of your registration fees if you have at least 6 months remaining on your registration when you surrender your plates.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:33 PM   #10
coco savage

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
I moved from NY to CA and just had my plates changed. I'm in the process of having my old car insurance policy canceled and was informed that NY would charge me a penalty for having my NY registration uninsured unless I turn in my plates.

I looked into the process and I can do it by mail, but I just don't really want to, mainly because I'd rather keep the plates for nostalgic reasons if possible. Anyone familiar with this process? How likely is it that NY would come down hard on me? I'm thinking that, if they can even track my CA address down, I'm just ignore the fines like a jerkoff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
Whenever I surrendered plates in NY, I would just give them 1 tag and keep the other. I would just say the other one fell off or is lost. No problems.
This

you are only required to turn in 1 of the 2 plates.

keep the other for nostalgic purposes

Random Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:50 PM   #11
BoogetyBoogety

My Ride: 2010 SL550
Quote:
I don't understand this. Informed by whom? The insurer is telling you this? They want your old plates (supposedly on your vehicle) to have insurance coverage... or NY will charge you a penalty for... what? Not returning them?

That's just stupid.

if you want to play, tell them hey, who knew, you got new plates in CA, and tossed the old NY plates. Now you're getting new insurance coverage, and one has not a goddamned thing to do with the other. You're golden with California DMV (pun intended), and if the insurer is questioning that, tell the agent they can go to the dump and find your old plates.
BoogetyBoogety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:01 PM   #12
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
Correct. In NY, you cannot cancel your car insurance without proof of plate surrender. Dealt with that when my pops moved from NY to NJ.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:05 PM   #13
dvsntt

My Ride: 01 325xi
You can get around that; Stop paying the insurance bill and they will cancel it for you.

Last edited by dvsntt; 08-27-2015 at 01:06 PM.
dvsntt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:15 PM   #14
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsntt View Post
You can get around that; Stop paying the insurance bill and they will cancel it for you.

Lol
Old 08-27-2015, 01:17 PM   #15
wasp9166
ima touching member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Correct. In NY, you cannot cancel your car insurance without proof of plate surrender. Dealt with that when my pops moved from NY to NJ.
you can't cancel it, but they will cancel you if you don't pay , and you end up with same scenario

Quote:
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
Old 08-27-2015, 01:24 PM   #16
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp9166 View Post
you can't cancel it, but they will cancel you if you don't pay , and you end up with same scenario
Not quite...if the above happens, you get a MASSIVE fine from the state.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:26 PM   #17
wasp9166
ima touching member

Quote:
Not quite...if the above happens, you get a MASSIVE fine from the state.
what's the diff? they fine you or they dock you daily

you know the state runs dmv right?

Quote:
Old 08-27-2015, 01:48 PM   #18
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
what's the diff? they fine you or they dock you daily

you know the state runs dmv right?
Not sure what your point is...OP moved and wants to cancel his insurance. In NY, you must surrender plates to cancel insurance. Not paying said insurance not only dings your insurance record (as well as getting you tossed from an insurance company, increasing your rates basically for life) but you still have to return plates. There is no way around it...NY makes you turn in your plates, and they have a number of measures to make sure you do it.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:50 PM   #19
wasp9166
ima touching member

Quote:
Not sure what your point is...OP moved and wants to cancel his insurance. In NY, you must surrender plates to cancel insurance. Not paying said insurance not only dings your insurance record (as well as getting you tossed from an insurance company, increasing your rates basically for life) but you still have to return plates. There is no way around it...NY makes you turn in your plates, and they have a number of measures to make sure you do it.
hence he has to turn in his plates, the same scenario , whether he tries to cancel it or lets it cancel

Quote:
Old 08-27-2015, 02:02 PM   #20
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
hence he has to turn in his plates, the same scenario , whether he tries to cancel it or lets it cancel
Trying to cancel he will just be unsuccessful and it will cost him a few bucks while he actually surrenders his plates. Lets it get cancelled results in being kicked off from insurance, dinging your history for life, and a massive fine from the state for having a plated vehicle without insurance. It's not the same thing. I'm also fairly certain you can mail in old plates.