E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #1
HaloArchive

My Ride: My Office Chair
Want to get Motorcycle license. How to go about it?

Yeah, i have wanted to get a motorcycle license forever. How do I go about it? What do i need to get/do.
HaloArchive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
Swish

My Ride: 2004 M3 Vert
Different states have different ways of going about it. I'm in Virginia, and once I take the motorcycle safety course, then the DMV will add it to my license.

"If you want to move past racism, you have to STOP LABELING EVERYTHING BY RACE / 2000_328CI"
Swish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
CharlzO

My Ride: 2000 328ci
The easiest way, is to find a nearby Motorcycle Safety Course. I know here in NY, the course basically takes you start to finish, bikes are provided to learn on, and you earn your M endorsement at the end of the course (providing you pass, but that's what they instructors are for, are to help you learn to ride so you DO pass the course).

The alternative, is to get your M permit, find a bike and someone to ride with, ride until you're comfortable enough to pass the road test. That is really going to depend on what experience you already have. Unless you've been on them a while, dirt bikes, whatever, then the safety course is by far the better option. Plus, you also are learning more, than if you just jump out and get your road test passed. Even if you don't go that way, the course is still something that you should look into, even after getting your M license, if nothing else but for the learning and education aspect of it.
CharlzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
HaloArchive

So, I did some reading on the WA state licensing system. It appears as if I take a class, it will give me a paper for me to take to the DMV and have the endorsement added to my license. As far as going out and buying gear, where do I start with that?
Old 04-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
DME46

My Ride: has free candy.
In NJ I just took the permit test, 4 weeks later rented a scooter and took the road course. They added the endorsement to my license.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion

Last edited by DME46; 04-01-2012 at 01:58 PM.
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
We have to take the written test for your permit as well as retake the test for the license you currently have, then either do the DMV skills test or MSF course to get the license.

Depending on which bike I have (or don't have) will determine if the DMV skills test is doable. It's extremely difficult on a sport bike.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #7
325inthe510

My Ride: 152ci of madness
http://motorcyclebeginnerguide.weebly.com/index.html

325inthe510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Get permit, do MSF course. done.

There are a few reputable online vendors in the sportbike world. Between them, and forums, thats where i get all my gear. If youre looking for stuff for like choppers and stuff, some sell that stuff, some dont.

Which route are you looking to ride?

Last edited by Snik; 04-01-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Snik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
HaloArchive

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
Get permit, do MSF course. done.

There are a few reputable online vendors in the sportbike world. Between them, and forums, thats where i get all my gear. If youre looking for stuff for like choppers and stuff, some sell that stuff, some dont.

Which route are you looking to ride?
Most likely cafe/vintage/sportbike
Old 04-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #10
Snik
OEM ///Member

k, so most sources will work.

the cheaper online guys are
superbiketoystore.com
ridersdiscount.com
superbikesupply.com
sportbiketrackgear.com

between those, and weraclassifieds.com and various bike specific forums, i always find what i need.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #11
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
Since we live in the same state (unless by Washington as your location you mean DC) and I went through this about a year ago figure I could give some insight. Go and take the motorcycle safety course, as long as you pass you are able to get an endorsement on your license w/o having to take the written or practical exams at the DMV. Here is a link to the course I took Link. It was a really straightforward and everything is provided. They have different options for days/lengths, so fit what works best for you. The course includes half class room half riding. The course work and test was extremely straightforward and pretty easy to be honest. The riding portion and instruction was done extremely well and I felt the pace was great and easy to learn, I had never ridden a motorcycle before and did just fine -- take it slow and don't get ahead of yourself or embarrassed during the course; people of varying skills/ability take the course as it gets you an endorsement and skips the DMV test...which i've heard is more difficult actually.

For the riding portion don't worry about buying a ton of new gear, b/c honestly after taking the course you may not want to ride (most likely wont be the case, but could happen) and then would be out the money. They provide helmets, you need gloves and boots (anything that covers your ankle really). I just wore jeans and layered a sweatshirt and jacket with an old pair of work boots and some mechanics gloves. You don't get going much faster than 20/30 mph within the parking lot course.

If you have any other questions, and do live in WA state, feel free to shoot me a pm as I just went through this a year ago. Also if you do find you end up loving it and want to get into a bike, I might have a GS500F for sale as I might be looking to upgrade It's been a great learning bike and it is perfect for beginners.

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #12
pancakes

My Ride: ///M, GTI, SUPERMOTO
you could have found this out in seconds via google.

take the MSF course, then go to the DMV.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:52 PM   #13
HaloArchive

Quote:
Originally Posted by klubeck View Post
Since we live in the same state (unless by Washington as your location you mean DC) and I went through this about a year ago figure I could give some insight. Go and take the motorcycle safety course, as long as you pass you are able to get an endorsement on your license w/o having to take the written or practical exams at the DMV. Here is a link to the course I took Link. It was a really straightforward and everything is provided. They have different options for days/lengths, so fit what works best for you. The course includes half class room half riding. The course work and test was extremely straightforward and pretty easy to be honest. The riding portion and instruction was done extremely well and I felt the pace was great and easy to learn, I had never ridden a motorcycle before and did just fine -- take it slow and don't get ahead of yourself or embarrassed during the course; people of varying skills/ability take the course as it gets you an endorsement and skips the DMV test...which i've heard is more difficult actually.

For the riding portion don't worry about buying a ton of new gear, b/c honestly after taking the course you may not want to ride (most likely wont be the case, but could happen) and then would be out the money. They provide helmets, you need gloves and boots (anything that covers your ankle really). I just wore jeans and layered a sweatshirt and jacket with an old pair of work boots and some mechanics gloves. You don't get going much faster than 20/30 mph within the parking lot course.

If you have any other questions, and do live in WA state, feel free to shoot me a pm as I just went through this a year ago. Also if you do find you end up loving it and want to get into a bike, I might have a GS500F for sale as I might be looking to upgrade It's been a great learning bike and it is perfect for beginners.
Thanks for the insight! We may be in contact

EDIT: Also, who do you all get your insurance through?

Last edited by HaloArchive; 04-01-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #14
Swish

Progressive has the best rate out of USAA and Geico...

"If you want to move past racism, you have to STOP LABELING EVERYTHING BY RACE / 2000_328CI"
Old 04-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #15
JEFFEFECKS

My Ride: 05 IB ZCP
Send a message via AIM to JEFFEFECKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish View Post
Progressive has the best rate out of USAA and Geico...
I dont think USAA has motorcycle insurance. I've tried to go through them but they just refer you to progressive.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #16
Swish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFEFECKS View Post
I dont think USAA has motorcycle insurance. I've tried to go through them but they just refer you to progressive.
You're 100% right...

Old 04-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #17
Snik
OEM ///Member

I've heard good things about state farm. I'm pulling a blank right now but I've had several.
Just google motorcycle insurance, and start calling man.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #18
ride365

Use the links below to find MSF and new-rider forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride365 View Post
---

Here's my generic response to all first-time riders:
1. take riding seriously-- as if your life depended on it.
2. take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation class.
3. listen to the advice of experienced riders [ridden 10-20+ years]. they're trying to help you avoid the same mistakes they made/survived.

Here are some sample links, but there are many others:
new rider forum @ sportbikez.net
new rider forum @ motorcycleforum.com
new rider forum @ motorcycle-usa.com

Those forums should be able to answer your questions much better than the small sampling of riders here. Basically you'll get more better answers. Get on those forums and learn everything you can. Start asking the right people for advice.

Good luck.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:31 AM   #19
MarcusLSB

My Ride: X5, CT200h, CLK63 BS
1. MSF Class
2. DMV
3. Review your health insurance, make sure you're covered properly.
MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #20
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by klubeck View Post
, I might have a GS500F for sale as I might be looking to upgrade It's been a great learning bike and it is perfect for beginners.
Great bike, I started on one.