E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
makospeed44

My Ride: BMW 325Ci
Rack swap?

I didn't exactly know where to put this post, but since steering and suspension usually go hand in hand I thought I would throw it up here. As some of you may know I have a 325Ci that I have absolutely ludicrous ideas for. The first problem I have with my car is a really noisy rack when I turn sharp either way. Since I was planning on doing a full project build from the ground up, rather than replace the basic 325 rack, I figured if it was possible, to fit the M3 rack into place. Again forgive me for being ignorant, its just a thought. Thanks for any input.

-Ryan
makospeed44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
you have stock either the 15.5:1 or the 13.7:1 ratio. The M3 has the 15.4:1 standard or the 14.5:1 CSL/ZCP. if you want a quicker sportier feeling rack find one of the 13.7:1 racks that have the yellow tag on it with number ending in 712. These are thought to be slightly different internally and have slightly sportier feel of the 13.7:1 ratio racks. You can buy one exchanged from The Rack Doctor who is a sponsor/rebuilder.

So the M3 rack isn't really a change up on non-Ms.
There are also ratios like the Z4MC even lower, but very twitchy.
you might already have the 13.7 so check. If you now have 15.5 then 13.7 will be a good upgrade.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
makospeed44

My Ride: BMW 325Ci
Rack swap?

Wow that's great advice! Thank you very much, its highly appreciated. Definitely will look into it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
makospeed44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #4
Mango
Over 15,000 visitors

My Ride: M54B30
The only thing I don't like about swapping for a reman rack such as rack doctor is the internal gearing will be differently worn unit to unit. the racks are just resealed and repainted AFAIK. so it will be like playing a slot machine. i might want to replace my rack within a year or two (just to get it refreshed)

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote