E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #21
Orchazum

My Ride: Steel Grey 330i
I would clean the connection. I scraped mine with the connector and figured out it was that... A lot of stuff came off. A lemon or a steel brush would work. Let me know if that works

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App

Multi Color Angel Eyes, MD, K&N, Sharked, Y-Rated Shoes
Orchazum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #22
boongsin12

My Ride: none
Yup... I think cleaning the battery contact did the job. I took a sand paper (grid 120) and cleared the contacting surfaces with it. It makes me wonder if the corrosion was the problem or if my starter is slowly failing.

As for the corrosion protection, what is the recomended method? You mentioned about lemon juice? How do you use that?
boongsin12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #23
Orchazum

I used an actual lemon the same way you would clean corrosion off a battery terminal. Now whenever I change my oil I will just check the terminal.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #24
boongsin12

Okay,

I don't get this. This morning I had this same problem once again. Th problem was that the starter clicked but did not turn over. So, knowing what happened last time I went over to the battery terminal and checked if the connection is tight or not. It was tight and there was no corrosion like last time. I reconnected the cable and tried to start the car. The car turned on with no problem.

The problem is why does the car not start even though the battery connection is good (battery is good, 12.1V off, 14.1 on) unless I physically disconnect and reconnect it? Do you think there is some problem within the electrical wires going from the terminal to starter? That's the only explanation I have at this time.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #25
DRE97

My Ride: 330CiC and 328 Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by boongsin12 View Post
Okay,

I don't get this. This morning I had this same problem once again. Th problem was that the starter clicked but did not turn over. So, knowing what happened last time I went over to the battery terminal and checked if the connection is tight or not. It was tight and there was no corrosion like last time. I reconnected the cable and tried to start the car. The car turned on with no problem.

The problem is why does the car not start even though the battery connection is good (battery is good, 12.1V off, 14.1 on) unless I physically disconnect and reconnect it? Do you think there is some problem within the electrical wires going from the terminal to starter? That's the only explanation I have at this time.
Not so sure it is you battery.
If all the lights, radio and stuff go on but you only get a click at the starter, it usually means a starter problem.
All the lights are working, right?
DRE97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #26
boongsin12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRE97 View Post
Not so sure it is you battery.
If all the lights, radio and stuff go on but you only get a click at the starter, it usually means a starter problem.
All the lights are working, right?
Yes, all the lights are working. You are saying that the starter may be going? I am able to start the car with no struggle. Doesn't this suggest that starter is fine?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #27
HacksawMark
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
I'm certainly no expert on this matter but from what you're saying, you have an intermittent problem with the starter not receiving enough current to turn it over (not meaning to state the obvious, just thinking out loud...). That leaves in my mind three possibilities, the source (battery), the connection/s, or the starter itself. If you can verify two out the three as being rock solid in condition, the remaining one should be the culprit. Unfortunately, you will have to spend some $$ in figuring this mystery out since the current troubleshooting process is not working. My guess would be the starter itself since it seems you're certain that the battery and connections are good.
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #28
DRE97

My Ride: 330CiC and 328 Xi
Quote:
Yes, all the lights are working. You are saying that the starter may be going? I am able to start the car with no struggle. Doesn't this suggest that starter is fine?
The starter probably has a warn area inside the motor and sometimes when you turn the car off you are stopping the starter at that exact spot, other times your not and the car starts.
DRE97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #29
scarede46er

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
Don't discount the possibility that your key or ignition switch might be going bad. The key does get worn down and the ignition lock mechanism is iffy sometimes.
scarede46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #30
boongsin12

So, after a few days of trouble free driving, the issue started to reoccur. The exact same symptoms as before.

Now, here is the funny bit. I found out that when the starter motor does not turn over, I open the hood latch and immediately following the starter motor turns. What is going on?!?!?! Any possible reasons?

As always, Thanks for all your response.

2001 330Ci
Old 02-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #31
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
A ghost?
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #32
HacksawMark
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 2014 Subaru XV
Quote:
So, after a few days of trouble free driving, the issue started to reoccur. The exact same symptoms as before.

Now, here is the funny bit. I found out that when the starter motor does not turn over, I open the hood latch and immediately following the starter motor turns. What is going on?!?!?! Any possible reasons?

As always, Thanks for all your response.
So are you saying that the act of opening the hood latch causes the starter motor to turn over on its own? Or are you saying that after you've opened the hood, you try starting it again and it works? Either way, sounds like a loose/bad connection somewhere or it's the starter itself. My money is on the starter....
HacksawMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #33
TurnersInOz

My Ride: 2004 325i
Starter / solenoid
TurnersInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #34
Orchazum

I had the same issue.upon shutting my hood, it would start. You have an interesting problem though