E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
Heiss M3

My Ride: N/A
Send a message via AIM to Heiss M3
SMG issue (weird shifts....)

I have a quick question for you guys regarding an SMG issue my '04 M3 recently developed out of the blue. First my SES light came on while driving, but i had 0 issues with the car so i continued home and decided i would have the code pulled in the next day or two. I probably went 50-75 miles like this, nothing strange happened at all.

The next day I started it up and when I went to shift from 1st to 2nd and the 2nd gear light began blinking and would take a moment to shift...I backed off the throttle and reaccelerated and everything was good.

Parked the car. Drove it the following day, same issue, so i parked it again.

I've done my research and know the 3 most common fixes issues similar to this are:

Salmon Relay
Gear Position Sensor
Or the 3 compression springs on the top of the tranny

EDIT - the following transmission codes have been pulled:

48 - Gear not selectable

50 - Mode not selectable

58 - Clutch actuation static

59 - Clutch actuation dynamic

We replaced the Salmon relay which looked to be original, reset the computer, and replaced the battery cause it was old/dying and all the issues when away! Car drives perfectly fine now!

'01 996 Turbo
'02 Porsche C4S - Sold
'02 M3 6spd Steel Gray- AA Stage 2 Supercharger, 380mm Brembo BBK F/R, H&R Coilovers, 19" 546 HREs, AA Headers, Supersprint Mid-pipe/exhaust, AC Schnitzer CF Lip, J&L audio...sold
06' Jeep SRT8 - sold

Last edited by Heiss M3; 06-19-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Heiss M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:13 AM   #2
turbo_f22_pilot

My Ride: 2 pedals - 2 paddles
Always replace the Salmon Relay if it's one of the possible fixes. (cheapest / easiest)

Your problem is more than likely a compression spring.

People like to mention the GPS, although if it was the GPS, the issue would be with all gears.

Make sure the mechanic has a BMW specific reader / tool for reading / resetting the fault codes.

Joy is future proof
Get your "M" on . . .
Reading is FundaM3ntal

CAR:
2003 TIAG Coupe / Blk Interior / SMG / HK Premium
MODS:
EU-CSL Coded / Macht Schnell intake / OEM CSL Wheels / OEM CSL Diffuser / Dinan Exhaust
Full LED Conversion / HID fog / Aurora AE / RE RTAB FCAB

BMWCCA NCC

Last edited by turbo_f22_pilot; 02-27-2013 at 01:16 AM.
turbo_f22_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
Heiss M3

Thanks for the info.

I just sent it to the shop to have the codes read. Will we be able to distinguish between compressing spring issues vs GPS sensor issues based on what codes it throws? Ill post up what it says later today once we have the readout.

'01 996 Turbo
'02 Porsche C4S - Sold
'02 M3 6spd Steel Gray- AA Stage 2 Supercharger, 380mm Brembo BBK F/R, H&R Coilovers, 19" 546 HREs, AA Headers, Supersprint Mid-pipe/exhaust, AC Schnitzer CF Lip, J&L audio...sold
06' Jeep SRT8 - sold

Old 02-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
grkm3

My Ride: Money Pit
Send a message via AIM to grkm3
Check the SMG fluid level.

Coming Soon: Open to suggestions

grkm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
thestigCLT

My Ride: 2002 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiss M3 View Post
Thanks for the info.

I just sent it to the shop to have the codes read. Will we be able to distinguish between compressing spring issues vs GPS sensor issues based on what codes it throws? Ill post up what it says later today once we have the readout.
Any updates? I am curious to know if there are any codes. Just a guess but I'll wager that the computer will not show any codes. It will say something like "failure to engage gear" or something like that.
thestigCLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
Heiss M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestigCLT View Post
Any updates? I am curious to know if there are any codes. Just a guess but I'll wager that the computer will not show any codes. It will say something like "failure to engage gear" or something like that.
Waiting to hear back from my mechanic... I hope to know by today. I also hope that whatever codes were thrown will help us determine if we should go ahead an lower the trans and replace the springs or if we should replace the GPS.

Do you guys know approx how many hrs it takes to replace those springs?

'01 996 Turbo
'02 Porsche C4S - Sold
06' Jeep SRT8 - sold

Old 03-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
thestigCLT

My Ride: 2002 M3
Quote:
Waiting to hear back from my mechanic... I hope to know by today. I also hope that whatever codes were thrown will help us determine if we should go ahead an lower the trans and replace the springs or if we should replace the GPS.

Do you guys know approx how many hrs it takes to replace those springs?
For the #3 compression spring I recall something like 2 to 2.5 hours and I don't think you need to drop the tranny, just an engine tilt.
thestigCLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
Heiss M3

Been out of the country for a week. I just spoke with my mechanic and they said they pulled the transmission codes.

'01 996 Turbo
'02 Porsche C4S - Sold
06' Jeep SRT8 - sold

Last edited by Heiss M3; 06-19-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
777eThOd*

My Ride: spins too much
I replaced the Salmon relay on my SMG aswell, didnt get rid of anything period. I Replaced both of the Compression springs on the gearbox and boom! no more problems, I ended up getting it from the dealership for like $30.

2007 BMW 335i FBO 6MT - Current
2013 Nissan Nismo 370Z - Current
2004 Non-M Facelift Coupe - SOLD
2006 BMW M3 - SOLD
777eThOd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
Heiss M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777eThOd* View Post
I replaced the Salmon relay on my SMG aswell, didnt get rid of anything period. I Replaced both of the Compression springs on the gearbox and boom! no more problems, I ended up getting it from the dealership for like $30.
I hope the fix is that easy -- were your issues similar to mine? How many hours of labor did it take to replace both of the compression springs? Did you just have to drop the tranny a little?

Thanks

'01 996 Turbo
'02 Porsche C4S - Sold
06' Jeep SRT8 - sold

Old 03-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
777eThOd*

Quote:
I hope the fix is that easy -- were your issues similar to mine? How many hours of labor did it take to replace both of the compression springs? Did you just have to drop the tranny a little?

Thanks
Took about 3hrs of labor and yeah it was a pain dropping the tranny alittle, but I was getting where the gear would flash, then it would say to throw it in Neutral. It was odd, I couldn't really use sport mode cause it kept missing and gear would flash, but if I were you, go ahead and buy the salmon relay and springs cause its way cheaper then the GPS, cause I had a feeling it was mine to but I got lucky! Good luck!

2006 BMW M3 - SOLD
Old 06-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #12
Heiss M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777eThOd* View Post
Took about 3hrs of labor and yeah it was a pain dropping the tranny alittle, but I was getting where the gear would flash, then it would say to throw it in Neutral. It was odd, I couldn't really use sport mode cause it kept missing and gear would flash, but if I were you, go ahead and buy the salmon relay and springs cause its way cheaper then the GPS, cause I had a feeling it was mine to but I got lucky! Good luck!
Yea the salmon relay and a new battery fixed the issue completely! Car drives like a dream again.

'01 996 Turbo
'02 Porsche C4S - Sold
06' Jeep SRT8 - sold

Old 06-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #13
777eThOd*

Quote:
Yea the salmon relay and a new battery fixed the issue completely! Car drives like a dream again.
good stuff!

2006 BMW M3 - SOLD