E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
giantkeeper

My Ride: BMW
Exhaust camshaft sensor woes (read it)

I have an 01 m54b30 130k that is throwing a exhaust camshaft sensor error (12 on my peake reader).

I have replaced the exhaust sensor with a new non oem sensor, a known working used oem sensor and just recently a brand new oem sensor. None of which have solved my problem.

This week I completed the beisan seal upgrade. Still throwing a code. I have been dealing with this ses light for a while and now emissions is coming up so I cant afford to ignore it anymore.

Anyone have any insight? New cams?

'89 325is F_Spec Article
giantkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
F1004fun

My Ride: '02 330Ci
I don't use a Peake or have access to the code book, do you have the actual P-code number for the fault. Your camshafts shouldn't be the issue, but without knowing what the fault description is I can't tell yet.
F1004fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
giantkeeper

I don't, I haven't picked up my new program yet and google doesn't seem to pull up a conversion table for peake e46 codes when I search.

I'll pop in at the local crap auto parts store and see if their scanner offers p codes.

'89 325is F_Spec Article
Old 01-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
giantkeeper

P0365 is the code.

'89 325is F_Spec Article
Old 01-19-2013, 11:47 PM   #5
F1004fun

My Ride: '02 330Ci
Hmm, yeah that's a exhaust cam sensor fault. It's common for the sensors to go bad bad that's about all I normally see. You can check wiring, I have seen wires get cut or pinched on the P/S bottle bracket. I have also seen the t-stat push coolant out of it and up the connector into the wiring harness.
Sorry man but if you have put a new OEM sensor on it and that didn't fix it, it's gonna be an unusual problem.
F1004fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:28 AM   #6
giantkeeper

Thanks for the feedback. I've pealed back the harness and checked everything from the sensor to the box where all of the wiring intersects and found nothing. I was able to confirm that even after I reset the SES the code is still active. That explains why the SES light will come on at restart after clearing the code.

I'll call my mechanic again tomorrow and bounce some ideas off of him. Probably going to have to test the DME as well.

'89 325is F_Spec Article

Last edited by giantkeeper; 01-20-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
giantkeeper

Tested continuity of the yellow and brown wires from the sensor to the DME as well as power to the sensor and all is good. I guess I'll wait till I get my software and look at it there.

Reference and supply voltage are in spec.

I've found at least one page while searching where someone had the same exact issues. They never updated what ended up being the culprit. I'll continue to update this thread so it hopefully helps someone else down the line.

I should also mention that the car feels and drives normal.

'89 325is F_Spec Article

Last edited by giantkeeper; 01-21-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
FutureFast

My Ride: 2005 330 Ci
I had exhaust cam error code. Since you touched the VANOS, I would suggest you revisit the procedure - don't ask me how much pain I had when I noticed my car was running and the code kept coming at me. I also thought the car was running OK ... and it actually never did. After searching for a very long while I went down to basics and revisit everything I did for the car which included the VANOS seals. In my case I over-looked this step (from Beisan web site):
"On exhaust side, align spring to fit properly into vanos cylinder spring groove and piston spring groove".
How I noticed ? When you place the spring in the vanos cilinder groove, try to twist the spring. Eventually it will come to a stop, meaning you will not be able to twist/rotate the spring anymore. When I put the cover, I kept the spring in the same position (stuck against the stop in the bottom groove of the vanos cilinder).
Once I did that and put everything together, no more exhaust related error codes.
It may not be your case, (I have a 2005 330 ZHP) but it may help you should you decide to revisit the installation.
FutureFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
giantkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureFast View Post
I had exhaust cam error code. Since you touched the VANOS, I would suggest you revisit the procedure - don't ask me how much pain I had when I noticed my car was running and the code kept coming at me. I also thought the car was running OK ... and it actually never did. After searching for a very long while I went down to basics and revisit everything I did for the car which included the VANOS seals. In my case I over-looked this step (from Beisan web site):
"On exhaust side, align spring to fit properly into vanos cylinder spring groove and piston spring groove".
How I noticed ? When you place the spring in the vanos cilinder groove, try to twist the spring. Eventually it will come to a stop, meaning you will not be able to twist/rotate the spring anymore. When I put the cover, I kept the spring in the same position (stuck against the stop in the bottom groove of the vanos cilinder).
Once I did that and put everything together, no more exhaust related error codes.
It may not be your case, (I have a 2005 330 ZHP) but it may help you should you decide to revisit the installation.
Interesting. Did you have the fault code before you did the work, or did this pop up only after?

'89 325is F_Spec Article
Old 01-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
FutureFast

The error code popped after I did the rattling noise fix and not the seals. Oh ... and I also went thru all the gory procedures of changing the sensor, cleaning the solenoids, checking for voltage ... all that kind of good stuff.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #11
giantkeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureFast View Post
The error code popped after I did the rattling noise fix and not the seals. Oh ... and I also went thru all the gory procedures of changing the sensor, cleaning the solenoids, checking for voltage ... all that kind of good stuff.
OK I did my vanos seals as a hail mary attempt at fixing the code I had.

I'll go back in and verify the placement of the spring and also check the timing marks at TDC.

'89 325is F_Spec Article

Last edited by giantkeeper; 01-22-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
giantkeeper

Removed and cleaned the exhaust solenoid piston and housing, no change.

Switched the intake and exhaust solenoids around and still nothing.

I'll go back in and check timing and confirm placement of the vanos exhaust spring next. FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU!

'89 325is F_Spec Article

Last edited by giantkeeper; 01-23-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #13
giantkeeper

No updates on this yet. I swapped out the old crap steering rack for a new reman and decided while the car is up i'd drop the trans and do the detent pins and lightweight flywheel.

I am still waiting for my software to arrive and may wait to crack open the valve cover again until after I can get a look at it from the computer.

'89 325is F_Spec Article
Old 02-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #14
giantkeeper

Timing looks to be spot on, so I wont mess with that. I will however verify the placement of the vanos exhaust spring and throw everything back together.

'89 325is F_Spec Article
Old 02-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #15
giantkeeper

Vanos exhaust spring was not seated, but that does not seem to fix the issue either. I'll drop her off at BMW this week and see what they say.

'89 325is F_Spec Article
Old 02-07-2013, 05:56 AM   #16
giantkeeper

Diagnosis, BMW thinks its a faulty DME.

Back when the SES light first appeared I noted oil in the connector for the exhaust camshaft sensor. Seems to me this may have created a short and fried that portion/connection of the DME.

'89 325is F_Spec Article

Last edited by giantkeeper; 02-07-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #17
FutureFast

Sorry my post didn't help.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #18
giantkeeper

^^ no worries

'89 325is F_Spec Article
Old 03-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #19
giantkeeper

We worked with RPM out of Canada for a new DME aligned with our EWS. Got everything yesterday and the CEL for the exhaust camshaft sensor is gonzo! I did lol a bit, now I have a CEL for a thermostat failure

'89 325is F_Spec Article
Old 03-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #20
jamex

My Ride: 2005 325Ci
Glad you got it sorted. Rocco is the man, I bring my car to RMP for any work I can't do myself. He knows his shit when it comes to BMW.

Last edited by jamex; 03-02-2013 at 11:32 PM.
jamex is offline   Reply With Quote