E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
emm3speed

My Ride: 2005 m3
Question Lets see your subwoofer setup in your m3!!

Guys running a sub setup in the trunk.. Does anyone make a box to fit in the trunk behind the seats? I've seen done for the cubby but that's adding heft right in the far corner it prefer to put it towards the centre of the car. Where are the Amps etc for the Hk system? Should I use a rear speaker as the input for an amp or the sub input?

Saw some threads on adding a woofer I was thinking a 3-400w rms setup would be ample to get some Low end of the range.

What amp/subs you guys using?
emm3speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
gimmethemuumuu

My Ride: '08 M3 Sdn, '07 328T
I made just such a box for my 325i previously. I still have the entire system, with many McIntosh pieces, uninstalled (car was sold). If anyone's interested in the whole system or, potentially, any of the pieces--sub and box, amps, head unit, cap, fuse switch--just let me know
gimmethemuumuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
ZCP14

My Ride: 2006 M3
Im do you have pixs/spec?
ZCP14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
gimmethemuumuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCP14 View Post
Im do you have pixs/spec?
For the whole system? Or are you looking for certain pieces, like a sub, amp, head unit, etc. ?

I do have some pics. I'll try to scare 'em up. PM your email and I'll send 'em along once I find them.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #5
Brianthechemist

My Ride: E46 M3, E39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm3speed View Post
Guys running a sub setup in the trunk.. Does anyone make a box to fit in the trunk behind the seats? I've seen done for the cubby but that's adding heft right in the far corner it prefer to put it towards the centre of the car. Where are the Amps etc for the Hk system? Should I use a rear speaker as the input for an amp or the sub input?

Saw some threads on adding a woofer I was thinking a 3-400w rms setup would be ample to get some Low end of the range.

What amp/subs you guys using?
I actually have a single 12" Helix low profile sub http://www.crutchfield.com/p_975E12W...hdisplay=Helix in one of the Wicked CAS boxes that you don't like http://www.wickedcas.com/product.php...&cat=10&page=1

I'm running an Audison 5ch http://www.audison.eu/index.php?page=product&id=13 2x60 (Tweet)+ 2x170 (6.5)+ 1x750 W sub mounted on a custom panel where the factory HK sub was (under the back deck)

The fronts are MB Quart Q series (a few years old now) and i've got no rear speakers, left the back deck holes there as ports for the sub.

I'm not sure why you're set on having the sub(s) behind the rear seat, but I've got no complaints (and I came from a system with 2 12" PPI piston subs behind the back seat in another car). Although i'm not into it for the SPL (more of a SQ guy myself), the helix 12 is quite impressive when driven by that Audison. The amp is probably overkill but I liked the all-in one solution

The factory HK amp is mounted behind the drivers rear quarter (in the same rack as the factory navi computer and Changer) There really isn't room there to mount an amp due to its awkward placement. I have my Alpine PXA-H800 DSP mounted in the rack where the factory TV module would have been.

Are you planning to run the factory head unit? Do you have Nav?
Brianthechemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
illestminimike

My Ride: Project Drama
I remember seeing this at a car show on an m3 vert.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1358725831.042227.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	486905  
Old 01-20-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
emm3speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianthechemist View Post
I actually have a single 12" Helix low profile sub http://www.crutchfield.com/p_975E12W...hdisplay=Helix in one of the Wicked CAS boxes that you don't like http://www.wickedcas.com/product.php...&cat=10&page=1

I'm running an Audison 5ch http://www.audison.eu/index.php?page=product&id=13 2x60 (Tweet)+ 2x170 (6.5)+ 1x750 W sub mounted on a custom panel where the factory HK sub was (under the back deck)

The fronts are MB Quart Q series (a few years old now) and i've got no rear speakers, left the back deck holes there as ports for the sub.

I'm not sure why you're set on having the sub(s) behind the rear seat, but I've got no complaints (and I came from a system with 2 12" PPI piston subs behind the back seat in another car). Although i'm not into it for the SPL (more of a SQ guy myself), the helix 12 is quite impressive when driven by that Audison. The amp is probably overkill but I liked the all-in one solution

The factory HK amp is mounted behind the drivers rear quarter (in the same rack as the factory navi computer and Changer) There really isn't room there to mount an amp due to its awkward placement. I have my Alpine PXA-H800 DSP mounted in the rack where the factory TV module would have been.

Are you planning to run the factory head unit? Do you have Nav?
That sounds like a great setup! It's just a sub is real heavy then add a box and then stick it in the far corner and it just bugs me. Behind the seat I feel as though the weight would be distributed evenly. I know its not that far from the corner .. But it's that much closer to the centre as well. I have the factory nav yes. I'm fairly happy with the sound of the Hk setup if just obviously doesn't have the lows even with the bass turned up.

Here's a box I'm considering .. The price is definitely pocket change compared to other setups and I wouldn't hesitate to toss it if I had to should I sell the car so I figured I can't go wrong. Not sure about the back seat angle.

How would I get air movement within the car ? Like other threads mention i don't want to rattle my plate and not enjoy the bass in the car. .. Should I remove the factory subs ?
Old 01-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
emm3speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by illestminimike View Post
I remember seeing this at a car show on an m3 vert.
That is a great setup! Unfortunately i can't see the stroller getting tossed in there :/
Old 01-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Not an m3 but hopefully provides some ideas

Two subs in a custom box and four amps laid out on a custom rack in the spare tire well.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244

Last edited by 2000_328CI; 01-20-2013 at 06:48 PM.
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
emm3speed

Details on that green m3?
Old 01-21-2013, 01:51 AM   #11
wannasupra

My Ride: 2006 Hayabusa
green car's not an M.
wannasupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #12
Brianthechemist

Quote:
That sounds like a great setup! It's just a sub is real heavy then add a box and then stick it in the far corner and it just bugs me. Behind the seat I feel as though the weight would be distributed evenly. I know its not that far from the corner .. But it's that much closer to the centre as well. I have the factory nav yes. I'm fairly happy with the sound of the Hk setup if just obviously doesn't have the lows even with the bass turned up.

Here's a box I'm considering .. The price is definitely pocket change compared to other setups and I wouldn't hesitate to toss it if I had to should I sell the car so I figured I can't go wrong. Not sure about the back seat angle.

How would I get air movement within the car ? Like other threads mention i don't want to rattle my plate and not enjoy the bass in the car. .. Should I remove the factory subs ?
The Box I have with the sub in it weighs less than my amp. I was shocked by how light it was. My bass hits pretty hard, but the license plate doesn't rattle (fine german engineering and dynamat). There is a small rattle in the heat shield that is mounted to the underside off the trunk to protect from the exhaust, but I think that is fixable. I like to think that i'm sensitive to the weight distribution of the M3, but the addition of the sub was not noticeable.

I would ditch the factory sub at the very least. If you keep the rear deck speakers in there, there isn't much venting to the trunk but you've got some as long as you don't have the sun-shade. I've seen people use the ski passthrough, but I never liked the sound of a sub firing at the back of my neck.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #13
bdiako1

My Ride: M3
M3 sub enclosure

I have a 12" Polk sub, with two Polk amps mounted on the right. One is to power the sub, and the other is to power the rest of the speakers, (also Polk).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1068.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	487307   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(4).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	487308  
bdiako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #14
emm3speed

That's a nice looking setup but it takes a lot of trunk space that I'm trying to keep. I'm probably going to mount the amp under the spare tire panel if there's room and just tuck a simple box in the corner. I do have the rear sunshade option

What are the subs for the factory Hk system? Are there 2 or just 1? I'm trying to figure out what input I should use for the amp.. Should I run both l/r rear speakers to the amp or the sub as an input? I'm not sure if it makes a difference although I'm guessing it does?
Old 01-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #15
gimmethemuumuu

I've got pics pulled together. If anybody wants 'em, just PM me your email. Thx
Old 01-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #16
Brianthechemist

Quote:
That's a nice looking setup but it takes a lot of trunk space that I'm trying to keep. I'm probably going to mount the amp under the spare tire panel if there's room and just tuck a simple box in the corner. I do have the rear sunshade option

What are the subs for the factory Hk system? Are there 2 or just 1? I'm trying to figure out what input I should use for the amp.. Should I run both l/r rear speakers to the amp or the sub as an input? I'm not sure if it makes a difference although I'm guessing it does?
The "sub" is a pair of 6x9s in an enclosure. Depending on what the factory crossover is set to, you may not want to get signal from the factory sub wiring. Before I got my H800, I tapped directly off of the balanced line connection between the H/K amp and the factory "head"unit that is actually in the trunk.

This thread is helpful. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=245914