E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
Act of God

My Ride: Beach Cruiser
Send a message via AIM to Act of God
Danny Glover might be retarded

http://www.campusreform.org/blog/?ID=4582
Quote:
The Constitution's Second Amendment was created to bolster slavery and capture land from Native Americans, award winning actor Danny Glover told a group of students at a Texas A&M sponsored event on Thursday.

Actor Danny Glover told students at Texas A&M University the intent of the Second Amendment was to protect slavery.

“I don’t know if you know the genesis of the right to bear arms,” he said. “The Second Amendment comes from the right to protect themselves from slave revolts, and from uprisings by Native Americans.”

“A revolt from people who were stolen from their land or revolt from people whose land was stolen from, that’s what the genesis of the second amendment is,”
he continued.
#areyouseriousbro

This type of attitude is not only strikingly ignorant, it is patently racist. smh

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
MDydinanM

My Ride: is a ///M
irrelevant actor trying to remain relevant.
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
badfast

My Ride: A Car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=6REDpx_-lP0

Yea, saw this on someone's FB. Apparently some people believe it to be true. Needless to say their conversation consisted of calling people that don't believe it as "purposely ignorant". It all ended with them saying they were gonna go play call of duty.

Last edited by badfast; 01-18-2013 at 07:20 PM.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
He's not the only one that believes it. There may be some credibility to the story.

http://www.smirkingchimp.com/thread/...eserve-slavery

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
325seeeye
Core Fanatic

My Ride: 325Ci, e36 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
He's not the only one that believes it. There may be some credibility to the story.

In before Lair starts calling all pro-gun people "slave supporters".

Just kidding lair. Unless you do it. In that case, you read it here first.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
MDydinanM

Quote:

A website called the "smirking chimp", written by a Thom Hartman who has a blog and who does a radio show? Interesting what he has to say, and he does seem to have some history credentials, but I'm not entirely convinced.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thom_Hartmann

Last edited by MDydinanM; 01-18-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
joeski3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdyaman View Post
A website called the "smirking chimp", written by a Thom Hartman who has a blog and who does a radio show? Interesting what he has to say, but...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thom_Hartmann
Well, I'm not one to question credibility based on a url name. He does have references to support his theory. It may be credible. Won't stop me from buying one of these in the very near future though.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
MDydinanM

/\

Yeah I saw that, hence my edit. He does seem to have that academic background. But still not convinced.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
phrozen06
Banned User

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06

http://www.vpc.org/fact_sht/hidhist.htm

Quote:
The Hidden History of the Second Amendment
By Professor Carl T. Bogus
Roger Williams University School of Law
as published in the U.C. Davis Law Review

Synopsis

In his recent U.C. Davis Law Review article "The Hidden History of the Second Amendment," Roger Williams University School of Law Professor Carl T. Bogus offers a thesis that could forever change the way Americans view the Second Amendment: James Madison wrote the Second Amendment to assure the southern states that Congress would not undermine the slave system by disarming the militia, which were then the principal instruments of slave control throughout the South.

The story begins in Richmond, Virginia in the summer of 1788. Since it had been proposed by the convention in Philadelphia two years earlier, the Constitution of the United States had been the focus of an intense struggle. By its own terms, the Constitution required ratification by at least nine states; if that were not achieved the United States would not come into being. The Federalists were working hard for ratification, but anti-Federalists were opposing them with equal vigor. Although eight states had ratified the Constitution, most of the remaining states seemed to be leaning the other way, and it was uncertain whether a ninth state would be found. The last and best hope was Virginia, where the Federalists and anti-Federalists were about equally divided.

It was with high drama, therefore, that the Virginia ratifying convention convened in Richmond in June 1788. Madison led the forces for ratification, and as its principal author, no one understood the Constitution better. Yet the opposition was equally formidable. The anti-Federalists were led by George Mason, the most intellectual of the anti-Federalists, and Patrick Henry, who was considered the greatest orator of the day.

Mason and Henry made many arguments against ratification, but one of the strategies they devised was particularly shrewd. Virginia was nearly half black, and the white population lived in constant fear of slave insurrection. The main instrument of control was the militia. So critical was the militia for slave control that, in the main, the southern states refused to commit their militia to the war against the British. The Constitution, however, would transfer the lion's share of the power over the militia to Congress. Slavery was becoming increasingly obnoxious to the North, and southern delegates to the Philadelphia convention demanded and got an agreement, somewhat cryptically written into the Constitution, that deprived the federal government of authority to abolish slavery. Mason and Henry raised the specter of Congress using its authority over the militia to do indirectly what it could not do directly. They suggested that Congress might refuse to call forth the militia to suppress an insurrection, send southern militia to New Hampshire, or�and on this they harped repeatedly�disarm the militia. For Virginia and the South, these were chilling prospects.

The Federalists prevailed, but just barely. Although Virginia ratified the Constitution, Madison limped out of the Richmond Convention. Half of Virginia was still anti-Federalist, and the anti-Federalists were determined to end Madison's political career. Losing a bid to the United States Senate, Madison was reduced to running for a House seat. Patrick Henry had Madison's congressional district gerrymandered to include as many anti-Federalist areas as possible, then recruited a rising young star�James Monroe�to run for the seat.

Monroe campaigned as a champion for a bill of rights. Madison had previously been opposed to a bill of rights, but it was not a popular view. Cognitive dissonance set in, and Madison persuaded himself that he had only been opposed to a bill of rights prior to ratification. He promised the electorate he would support adding a bill of rights to the Constitution.

Madison won the election, and he went to Congress politically committed to supporting a bill of rights. When he drafted that document, he included a provision that with minor modifications became what is now the Second Amendment: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

In his 99-page article, Professor Bogus argues that the evidence�including an analysis of Madison's original language, and an understanding of how he and other founders drew on England's Declaration of Rights�strongly suggests that Madison wrote this provision for the specific purpose of assuring his constituency that Congress could not use its newly acquired power to deprive the states of an armed militia. Madison's concern, Professor Bogus argues, was not hunting, self-defense, national defense, or resistance to governmental tyranny�but slave control.

The "hidden history" of the Second Amendment is important for two reasons. First, it supports the view that the amendment does not grant individuals a right to keep and bear arms for their own purposes; rather it only protects the right to bear arms within the militia, as defined within the main body of the Constitution, under the joint control of the federal and state governments. At the time, the southern states extensively regulated their militias and prescribed their slave control responsibilities. Second, the hidden history is important because it fundamentally changes how we think about the right to keep and bear arms. The Second Amendment takes on an entirely different complexion when instead of being symbolized by a musket in the hands of the minutemen, it is associated with a musket in the hands of the slave holder.
Just because you weren't taught that in school doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Last edited by phrozen06; 01-18-2013 at 07:42 PM.
phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #10
MDydinanM

A response on Thom's article from a critic:

-----------

This is a very disappointing post from a really good head.

The headline says it all in terms of a general and blatantly narrow and propagandist re-writing of history to serve a specific agenda that is not a so subtle one:

Support of the 2nd Amendment and People who Own Assault Style Firearms = Support of the Aristocracy and Their Henchmen who Perpetrate Evil Deeds like Slavery

It is downright shameful and patently absurd to attribute the drafting and passage of the 2nd Amendment to this singular overriding motivation the author suggests.

First, Monroe, Mason, and Henry were three of dozens of delegates and were anti-Federalist; Mason and Henry the most vociferous in the new nation with Monroe moderately so.

Mason and Henry voted against ratifying the Constitution giving so much power to the Federal government; the primary concern being surrendering taxation powers to the Fed; arguing this is not the case is fruitless given the nation had just gone through hell to achieve independence primarily driven by the Townsend Act and the punitive taxation of the colonies.

Mason, Henry, Monroe and others concerned with the centralization of power were ardent supporters of a Bill of Rights that covered MANY key issues...obviously.

The concept of a US Bill of Rights is influenced from John Locke and the English Bill of Rights; the right of Protestants to keep arms being one enumerated. This being an affirmation of what was already law but necessary after The Pretender's attempt at protestant purging.

The entire nation prior to the revolution determined their right to bear arms for a number of reasons as declared their right in the English Bill of Rights and suppressing slave revolts was only one; enabling the people to organize a militia system, participating in law enforcement, deterring tyrannical government, suppressing insurrection, facilitating a natural right of self-defense.

A primary concern as tensions rose over the Townsend Act and calls for independence started was Loyalist militias and the Crown attempting to disarm Patriot militias and restrict firearms and ammunition; a threat on many levels that was not forgotten, obviously.

Point is, without entirely elaborating on every detail and aspect of history that motivated the founders to establish each component part of the Constitution and BOR, there are many driving forces.

No doubt for many slave holders having the right to establish a form of militia and bear arms to suppress slave revolts was a strong consideration.

Yet, to claim the purpose in entirety of the 2nd Amendment was to preserve slavery is ludicrous and entirely ignores so much historical context as to come across spurious and cheap and to insidiously conflate a historical set of issues and contextual social dynamics with a current one; your agenda being an extreme position on firearm ownership and those who own firearms, in particular assault style ones...obviously.

The concept of relative historical context and juxtaposition of then versus now as a means to rationally argue against the "need" for "average" citizens to own assault firearms and for more meticulous and creative gun control and management methodologies is a damn good concept that should be done seriously and circumspectly without hyperbole and non-objective narrow agendas.

Last edited by MDydinanM; 01-18-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #11
Act of God

Who deleted my post about glover being ignorant and racist? Wtf

"You don’t burn books because they’re irrelevant. You burn books because you’re terrified that they’re not. You don’t muzzle people who have no audience. You muzzle people only when their voices are amplified far beyond your liking."
Old 01-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #12
joeski3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Why wouldn't you have deleted that yourself?

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
Lair

My Ride: e90, cheap Boxster
All pro-gun people are slave supporters.

Quote:
It's the best years of your life they want to steal.
Congratulations.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #14
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
I don't see any indication of posts having been deleted in this thread.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #15
mtnbound
Town Clown

My Ride: 330Ci Vert, 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
All pro-gun people are slave supporters.
took you long enough.
mtnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #16
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: swagger wagon
Yet the NRA was in support of the arming of former slaves.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Bimmer App
Old 01-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #17
Act of God

Quote:
Why wouldn't you have deleted that yourself?
It was a longer post and worded better. It is a shame that such ignorance is given a free pulpit and for some reason people listen to celebrities as if they are experts on any given subject.

Danny Glover has been going down the path of a racist hateful man for a while now. Additionally, slaves weren't stolen from Africa by the white man. Slaves were stolen in war by fellow black men and then sold at a market by fellow black men who told white men to come and buy the slaves they were selling.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #18
MDydinanM

Quote:
Danny Glover has been going down the path of a racist hateful man for a while now. Additionally, slaves weren't stolen from Africa by the white man. Slaves were stolen in war by fellow black men and then sold at a market by fellow black men who told white men to come and buy the slaves they were selling.
maybe he's getting senile in his old age?
Old 01-18-2013, 11:41 PM   #19
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Well, defense of your home and family from native americans was certainly a reason to have a firearm in your house in the 1700's.